1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Weird food habit! Need help

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by jasminebessey, Dec 16, 2019.

1. jasminebessey

jasminebessey New Member

My pup, Van Halen, is 1 already! He has been growing and gaining weight perfectly (except the vet tells us 60 pounds is overweight for him...)

recently, he has gotten a weird eating habit that I need help with. He has never had an issue eating. We got him to sit and weight for him food until he is called to eat. He would always run up and eat his food without an issue. But in the last week or so he refuses to eat. At first he waited till his brother was finished and then he ate. And now he is avoiding eating all together. It takes about 5-10 minutes for him to even get near his bowl and will pick up some food and spit it out then walk away.
    unsure of what to do. HELP!

2. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

My first thought is some kind of illness/medical issue. Is there a chance he got into something he shouldn’t have? Besides not eating, is there anything else that is different about him? Energy levels, how do his gums look, any pain in his tummy, whining, drooling? Anything along these lines.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Is he popping?
    Small/large/a lot?
    How many times a day?
    What is the consistency of the poop?

4. jasminebessey

jasminebessey New Member

Everything has continued normal for him. Energy levels continue the same.
    He poops a lot, 3-4x a day and it’s a large amount. But that’s normal for him it has been like that since we got him.

the only thing I could think of trying is washing his food bowl? He drinks out of the water bowl without a problem.

5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

What kind of food?

Other dog eats same food from same bowl?

6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

All food and water bowls need to be scrubbed after each use.

What food is he on? Pooping 3-4x a day is a lot! Mine only poop once a day, sometimes 2 if lots of activity. Their poops are smaller than the cat’s poop so I know they are getting all the benefit of their food.

Large voluminous poops usually indicate they are not metabolizing the food they are getting. Many dog foods have fillers in them that are of no nutritional value and the body expels it via the pooter shooter.
    60lbs at one year does not sound overweight to me. Mine were in the 72-78lb range at a year old. Post some pictures so we can see his body. How tall is he?

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. jasminebessey

jasminebessey New Member

We feed him dry dog food because he has such a sensitive stomach to everything, including plain human food.
    I checked his poop this morning and it wasn’t normal.
    Van Halen has always been smaller then usual. From back to the floor he’s about 28 inches.

8. Tropicalbri's

What brand of dry kibble. It may very well be he doesn’t care for it anymore.

9. jasminebessey

jasminebessey New Member

He eats taste of the wild. And before that he ate nutrisome puppy food.

10. Tropicalbri's

28” is the standard height for male dobermans.

You mention sensitive stomach. Does he get diarrhea or vomit with different foods? Does he get itchy or is it just gut issues. A good probiotic would certainly help and I would research NMDCM. Lots of info on it with diet and heart issues. More specifically related to grain free diets.

11. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

28" and 60 lbs and your vet says he's overweight?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  12. jasminebessey

jasminebessey New Member

They’ve considered him a medium vs large dog because he was smaller than what they’re use to seeing.

13. Tropicalbri's

This breed is a medium breed. It is not supposed to be taller than 28”.
    Sounds like the dobes your vet is seeing are oversized Dobermans.

Is your vet experienced with this breed?

14. Tropicalbri's

Could you post a standing picture of him from above him looking down on him so we can see if he has a waist. Also a standing picture of him from the side?

15. jasminebessey

jasminebessey New Member

Just gut issues.

Attached Files:

16. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

The breed is a medium breed and shouldn't be large. I know each dog is different, but with a 28" frame, 60 lbs seems rather light. Slim, trim & racy I guess.

My female....
    At 1 year/ 25.5": 78 lbs
    8-18 2.jpg

At 1 yr & 5 wks / 26": 79 lbs

9-25 2.jpg

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  17. Tropicalbri's

He looks more than 60lbs. He is still growing and going through the stages of lanky to heavy.

Does he get a lot of exercise? He is a bit chunky in that he doesn’t have a defined waist line.

How much are you feeding him and how many times a day. I adjust my twins food to how much exercise they get each day.
    More exercise I will increase food, this of course is after we have established what their ideal body condition should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tropicalbri's

Also wanted to mention that if you give a lot of treats or any at all you need to deduct the Kcals of the treats from his Kcals in each serving of food.

19. Tropicalbri's

Not the best pictures but here are my two at 22mo. 433D5394-3DCD-442A-8506-D4FCC2A7FDF7.jpeg
    Bogie was 82lbs and Bacall was 79lbs. Now Bogie is 88lbs at 3.5 yrs. and Bacall is 82lbs.

• Wow x 1
  20. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm sure you have already thought to check his mouth for any problems/injuries that could make eating painful?