Water in puppy food?

Dobielover78

Water added into puppy food... I’ve heard some say it helps slow down quick eaters, I’ve also heard that it’s easier for puppies to digest than regular dry food.

Thoughts?

That's a no way for me and always has been. The dry kibble helps keep their teeth clean and watered down food wont keep if they don't finish it up. We do add a spoonful of canned food on top of their dry kibble though.

A breeder will soften it up for puppies when they're first being weaned and that's mostly because their puppy teeth aren't fully in yet.

A close friend of mine’s wife is a wholistic vet and she badgers me ALL THE TIME about going raw. When I tell her that I just can’t then she makes me promise that I saturate the dry kibble with water.

Something of the effect that adding water to dry kibble increases moisture content and easier to digest.

An alternative viewpoint, I didn't used to but now I do. I do water their food down to make it more easily digestible. The kibble is so dry and dense that adding water helps make it more readily available once it reaches the digestive tract. Almost all dogs that I've watched during feeding don't chew much of their food, if at all. Apparently the kibble cleaning teeth is a myth. I guess it makes sense in that crunchy pretzels don't clean our teeth either lol. I started adding water when Ripley came home to me at 9 weeks and I had to give her dry supplements. She started eating around the supplements so adding water was an easy fix that my breeder recommended I keep doing. Ripley doesn't gulp down as much water when I add it to her food so it is easier for me to watch for bloat since shes on an hour crate rest after eating. I don't have to worry about her gulping huge amounts of water outside of that time frame. I do occasionally feed her with puzzles a few times a week and obviously the food is not watered down then.

For my older dogs, it helps their kidney function (and the young ones too). They wouldn't drink enough on their own and my old girl was dealing with kidney failure so I had to water her food down when I never did before.

I brush their teeth once a week with enzymatic paste and use a dental scale for Ripley every time I do nails. There isn't much at all to scale except on the very rear molar where there is a little notch in the tooth and food gets trapped there. You can hardly see it from a glance but I don't want to leave it there and her mouth gets looked at by judges. I need to start scaling Paige's teeth too now that I have the tools.

Thank you all for the different perspectives! Sergeant’s teeth are pearly white as I’m sure to give him lots of different hard/soft toys to chew on. Sergeant has had his food wetted ever since he switched from milk to kibble. His breeder told me it’s simply easier for him to digest and can possibly help prevent bloat since the dry kibble has already absorbed water before it’s gone into his stomach, so it can’t absorb more.

Kaiser used to eat kibble and his breeder liked to soak the kibble since it swells in their belly. She said this was to prevent bloat.

I used warm water in the winter to keep his tummy warm - never hot water as that will kill the nutrients in the food.

If you’ve ever had kibble in your pockets, and then put it through the laundry by accident, you’ll know ;)

Back