• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Warning on Hartz Ultra Guard Shampoo

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
I just saw this on Facebook!!

A coworker used this shampoo on his dogs (shitzus) last night and both dogs were dead within an hour. Turns out there is a pending? possible class action lawsuit against this brand because dogs (and cats) have died after using it #hartzshampoo #petcare #dogshampoo #fleatreatment

edit: not good for cats either

http://www.hartzvictims.org/2019/10/

pet shampoo dogs died after use.jpg

Another comment said they used it on their poodle, who went into convulsions and had to be put down the next day!

Anyone hear more about this??

Honestly, I would never touch any of Hartz or those cheap Walmart pet brands of chemicals with a ten foot pole. They have been always causing problems since I can remember. Cheap cheap crap. I don't know how they still are allowed to sell it.

Honestly, I would never touch any of Hartz or those cheap Walmart pet brands of chemicals with a ten foot pole. They have been always causing problems since I can remember. Cheap cheap crap. I don't know how they still are allowed to sell it.
Right, imagine putting the product on your own face, why would anyone put it on their dog's skin!

Cheap ingredients is one thing....killing your pet within an hour is another! What the hell is in it??? Poison? I've never used it either but there are probably a lot of folks who pick up these types of products because they are 'affordable'. PLEASE BEWARE!

That is quite frightening how did it ever get on the shelf in the first place! We have used a professional dog groomers for King ever since he was 20 month's took quiet some time to find someone to trust im with @MyBuddy with this

Cheap ingredients is one thing....killing your pet within an hour is another! What the hell is in it??? Poison? I've never used it either but there are probably a lot of folks who pick up these types of products because they are 'affordable'. PLEASE BEWARE!
Flea products/deworming products are essentially poison. It works by killing the bugs. It's at a low enough dose it does not "harm" your pet.

Seeing the number of victims!! on the website link @My Buddy posted it's totally unbelievable the product/company has been able to continue for all those years. How tragic for those families and the suffering!! of those pets...

Let's hope the warning can be spread as far and wide as possible quick!

Looks like the chemicals used in this are the same chemicals that are used in the Raid spray cans to kill bugs around the home. Unbelievable. Seems like you have to research every damn product one by one. You can't even trust it if it passes all the regulations.

I googled this and the top hit was Facebook sites, not news or FDA or lawsuits or recalls. So not sure how to take this. I do remember someone on this forum - maybe @Tropicalbris ? - mentioning a flea/tick ingredient that sensitive animals should not use - was it the isoxazoline drug? Sorry, I can't remember details, but it was about seizures.

It's at a low enough dose it does not "harm" your pet.
Apparently not with this. There are a number of products for flea and tick that people use that don't kill your dog. Especially within an hour! :censored:

I googled this and the top hit was Facebook sites, not news or FDA or lawsuits or recalls. So not sure how to take this.
Having had yet another closer look on the blog/website www.hartzvictims.org it does not look as 'fake', though it is impossible to know which pets could have gotten ill due to other causes as well. I don't get the impression the people sharing just (try to) blame a defect product. To me it is quite upsetting to read about those poor pets.

I'm not doubting the actual stories, just that it's insane that these incidences have been happening since 2002 and the product is still on the shelf. Sometimes the stories are about the drops, not the shampoo and many many cats suffered. Its well known that many dog products will kill cats. Some of the comments on the hartzvictims.org site were so amazingly dumb - on the About page comments, one person shouting for help, their animal having seizures. Well why aren't they on the way to the vet already? I feel for the animals, I do. But sometimes I can't wrap my head around some of the people who don't seem to have any common sense. And why don't these people get together for a class action suit and if the ingredients are within FDA regulations then what? I don't know the answer for the common pet owner just trying to do right by their dog or cat. It is sad.

Back