Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Walking amongst distractions

Discussion in 'Doberman Pictures and Videos' started by Ddski5, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, I messed it up and did not have the phone sideways. Easier to handle though up/down.....

Just so proud of this guy to finally settle the frick down and not act stupid crazy among these distractions.

We’ve been working on this for a while now. I want you to note that even though he is very alert and a little antsy- there is no erradict behavior or crazy froth breathing. No getting so amped up and into that wild zone that he does not hear me.

ECollar is on- yes, but not used. Refer/read the YouTube description.

I have to attribute this to what DChat forum members told me to do. Get Ragnar into the situation and slowly desensitize him to all the outside distractions and influences. This started with a short leash, prong collar and ECollar outside of the dog park along the fence line. Lots of time and patience and continual going forward when we just failed.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

This gives me hope for Bam!! It's what we are working on now......working with/ around distractions....with pinch but not E collar. I am waiting to use the e collar cuz he is losing hair on his neck thanks to the thyroid issues....but(light bulb moment here...LOL).....do you have Ragnar's sitting on the top of his neck?

How old is Ragnar?

3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow, that is totally impressive! Lots and lots of distractions. Distractions that I don't have out here! He did very well. You have done wonders with him! He was totally tuned into you. Well done! Well done!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Well done! I love to see the end result from all that training. You can tell he is being obedient to you despite his interest in whats going on all around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Awesome job!!! Was glad to hear you say thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one that did that. :D

He is doing really well, I am very impressed and love his sweater.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ddski5

Ragnar is 2yrs 4months

Yes, I like to have it on top like that. I find that he feels the full effect here. If it’s too harsh, then I turn it down. However, I believe the recommended position is at 8 or 5 O’clock down on the neck area.

I did not start with the ECollar though. Anytime he got froth mouth excited, in that wild prey drive zone- so extremely hard to get him out of it. To even think about getting one inch of focus during this was not happening. To use the ECollar in this circumstance would only throw gas on the fire and light him up more.

I know sounds harsh here but the only thing that worked for me was to use the prong collar high up under his ears. When he went into one of these wild modes, I would lift up high on the prong literally picking his front quarters up off the ground hanging him..... still in frenzied zone, I would back him out of the distraction until he regained his senses. Then slowly move him back into the situation again. I would not do this over and over, but just a couple of times followed with basic obedience training.

Ragnar always had two faces: a calm alertness or a frothing, hyperventilating beast reactive to other dogs.

A little back story on us is that we go to the soccer fields 5x week and the complex is full of dogs and people. When he would see another dog he would light up like a beastly terror and the crowd would part like the Red Sea. There is no way I could get kicked off the complex when I had 3girls playing and my sole purpose of my Doberman was to be my companion on the soccer fields.

Took a little while for me to figure him out and for him to mature out of his wanton, rebellious Doberteens. Now since he does not go into that frenzied zone and I know he understands my commands, I can work him offleash with the ECollar. I use the vibrate prob 80% time and stim25 to put his ass back in line 20% time.

Thinking back on it again, he did not even gurgle or yodel his normal song to those other dogs today.

Good luck with Bam....

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  7. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

One thing that stuck with me from the vid:The fact he doesn't throw his head over his shoulder to find you when you tell him to back...WOW. (Both boys will look back at us before they start to back)

That's a pretty strong sense of trust from Ragnar! The way he is working with you is as impressive as all get-go. I can't imagine him being even a little bit of a problem child!!LOL.

He's a gorgeous boy!

When we had an Ecollar on Bam before...even days was 5oclock..odds 8oclock.....either one right now would have the prongs right on an area where the hair loss is happening. I am going to try setting the unit at the top like you have with Ragnar...that a was "bonus Easter egg" in that vid..HAHA!!

I don't think it's harsh. This is how I am working with Bam...we are five..maybe six days into working with the pinch...he doesn't like it...but they last couple of days he is starting to figure out he is in charge of the bite he gets from the collar...or doesn't get one.

Thank you...I'm like you...learning what I have here...has improved my work with Bam.

8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Great job training, thanks for sharing. I don't think you were too harsh with him, you have to do what you have to do to get your dog under control and understand the rules. Some dogs drive overrides following rules. I can't imagine this dog in the hands of a casual positive-only owner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow, that is a LOT of distraction with that many dogs, you should be proud of the results! And you didn’t even have to zap him which is shocking (haha) and impressive :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Ragnar is dialed in! :thumbsup:
    Took Rocky close to a month to not stand up on the leash at reactions like that.
    I still couldn’t walk him off leash like that. E collar or not. :anonymous :

11. MelonJ

MelonJ Notable member

That was beautifully done! Bravo, Ragnar! I love that backup command. We have quite a few of these barking dog distractions in our neighborhood too. DeSoto just looks at them like “What’s their problem?” while walking a little faster past them. LOL Sometimes I’ll have him stand there and take it in while I give simple commands like a down or sit too. But he’s still a puppy beginning his doberteens. I can only hope and pray his reactions remain this neutral to those dogs if I’m consistent when the hormones kick in. Probably wishful thinking tho, lol. I hope we can get to Ragnar’s kind of off-leash self control in the future. And his sweater! :love:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Very nicely done!

I have to say that all of those yapping dogs would drive me insane though.

13. Ddski5

If you put in the time and effort, you can do it with DeSoto. I had zero Doberman experience and truly had no idea.

Don’t get discouraged, keep training. Stay firm and consistent, Ragnar would be awesome 2days and then be an asshat 4days and the next day would be me locking him down. The big issue I have is the girls and wife spoil him and then here I come expecting obedience- an continuous struggle.

It’s funny because if I am the mean ol master that cracks the whip all the time, then why am I the one he follows everywhere and sits at the door waiting for? Strives for the discipline and structure.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Awesome! Good boy, Ragnar :thumbsup2:

It’s so true, you have to keep upping the level of distraction and continue training in more and more distracting environments in order to expect full obedience no matter what your surroundings are.

Thanks for sharing, @Ddski5! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1