1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

waiting...

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Ravenbird, May 18, 2019.

1. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

Waiting to hear if I even make the list. Sitting on my hands so I don't send yet another inquiry. Afraid silence might mean I'm not that interested, afraid bugging the breeder is irritating. I have to assume the breeder will contact me if I am eligible to make a deposit? 2 litters I'm on a potential list for... :coldsweat:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

When was the last time you contacted the breeder?

3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

When’s the last time you contacted the breeder?

Some breeders are extremely busy and tend to overlook or forget. I have found more than most- squeaky wheel gets the oil. Sending them a quick, friendly reminder may help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

If it's a breeder that shows (especially if they show their own dogs), I have found that Tuesday is the best day to get ahold of them.

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

Thanks for the replies. We've emailed back & forth, sent the application, with a couple of questions, those were answered, I answered back with yet another question (not a deal breaker question) and haven't heard back; that was a little over a week ago. Maybe they wait to see how many pups are born before the next step of notifying potential owners? I know people are busy, and I don't want to be a bother. Maybe I should ask my question to you guys this way: if as a breeder, you have all your apps in hand and maybe there will be more apps than puppies, do you just wait to talk until the litter is "countable", (color & sex) to see how this matches up, then do your contacts with info? If that's the norm, I'll be quiet! I use to train horses and clients were important to me, but some just wouldn't stop already with the questions, so I do get it. Seriously tho, this is like I'm going to have a baby! It's a life changing event for me! I'm excited and want to know every little thing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

As an impatient person myself, I totally feel your need to know :D These dogs are life changing all right! Since Panama is a breeder, I’d agree with the Tuesday timeline. I see no harm in sending a note on Tuesday indicating that you’re excited for the next steps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

That would be accurate and polite enough, and not a question that needed an answer! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It is an irritating process, isn't it? It's part of the reason I am already researching breeders when my boy is only 4.75 years old.

9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

I'm not irritated, just anxious! And wanting to do things the right way without stepping on toes. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think some breeders do like to know how many are in a litter before giving you too firm an answer but at least I've gotten an answer that I'm approved before the fact. I don't like to be a pest either but I think it would be fair to contact them to see if you're at least approved to be on a list if there are enough pups. Sometimes they'll even put you on a list for future pups if you're not in a big hurry.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ddski5

I remember.....

It was a dream of mine. Finally got into the position in life to fulfill it. I was ecstatic!! The anticipation was as much as first time jumping out of an airplane.

The first 12months was work; patience, discipline, training, etc. has paid off and now seriously considering another one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would ask what position I am on the waiting list if they have approved you.
    That way it will give you some idea of where you stand with this breeder and litter. Some people also back out at last minute or may have purchased from another breeder.
    Some breeders may refer you to another breeder that is expecting a litter at the same time or later in the year.

I am impatient as well and would at least ask about how many approved applicants are ahead of you and about a placement deposit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

OK, I'm approved! i.e. I'm feeling a bit pregnant (no offense to you human baby mothers, I've only had non-human babies on the way in my life and it is a BIG deal for me!), and I know it will be a girl or not at all, and now the wait is on. You guys will be sick of me posting if it all goes through! :woot:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Ddski5

Approved??

So just last Saturday you were fretting and anxious on if youve been heard at all and now all of sudden you’re approved?

Walk us through what happened...
    You called? Made contact? And then what?

Give us some details.....

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
  15. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Jr Member

I emailed again and just explained that I wasn't sure if I was approved to purchase. She replied later that yes, I was approved and she would ask for deposits later. She did explain that she'd been out of town. None of her emails are chatty or extensive, but friendly.

I recall a thread here a month or so ago about breeders websites being outdated and they do FB instead, and I've found it to be true. And some really active breeders that do hands-on work with their dogs only post on their FB about once or twice a month. These are busy people and social media is not their priority. I have to remind myself of my horse training days (pre-2004) when I was outside 7 days a week putting 8 - 12 hours a day into my work and just barely finding time to eat & sleep. I never had a smart phone and my only computer time was to check emails in the evening, not all day long. There was no facebook or forum fun time!

• Like Like x 6
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  16. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's great news! I bet you're really getting excited now!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1