1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

VWD?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Kay Shaw, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Kay Shaw

Kay Shaw Hot Topics Subscriber

Looking into importing a pup and I have a list of breeders that I am researching. One of the breeders on my list is Del Nasi Doberman Kennel. I know a lot of their dogs and breeding stock are descendants of Fedor Del Nasi. Del Nasi is currently using a daughter of Fedor in their program. Because of this I decided to research Fedor on the DoberBase. I was looking under the health section and I saw a blue circle next to VWD. So does this mean that Fedor had VWD. I am just asking because since I will be researching a lot of their dogs I want to understand how information appears on this site. I just want to make sure VWD is not common in these lines.

Attached Files:

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Fedor was a vWD Carrier.

The only vWD results you need to look at when considering a litter are the results of the pair that was bred.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Kay Shaw

I am aware of this. I was doing this research in general to look for any health concerns in the lines. Which is why I was looking at dogs generations back in thw pedigree. I was not look at Fedor specifically for vWD. The main purpose of my post was to make sure that I was understanding how information appears on the site.

4. Panama

This is why I suggested such.

5. Panama

If Fedor was bred to a Carrier counterpart, then yes there are Affected Offspring. Of the 22 of his offspring listed on DobeQuest, only 2 show any health testing (1 vWD Carrier/ 1 vWD Clear).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Kay Shaw

Fedor is also present in the pedigree of a lot of European Dobermans. I have even seen dogs with Fedor on both sites. That is another reason I am looking at more that just the breeding pair because I want to want see what conditions are passed on directly from Fedor. That is what I meant by saying I wanted to make sure vWD wasn’t common in the lines. I meant common in Fedor’s direct progeny because I know tha their is a lot of controversy surrounding him.

7. Panama

His structure alone would send me elsewhere

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Kay Shaw

These comments are kind of starting to get off the topic of my original post. Which was asking a question about how the DoberBase works and shows information. In my original post I said that Del Nasi was a breeder on my list and I was trying to research them. Since a lot of Del Nasi dogs have Fedor in them I wanted to know if the information I found on the DoberBase meant that Fedor has vWD. I haven’t and probably won’t decide on this breeder because of the information I found but I created this thread to ask a question about something that I found while researching one of the prominent dogs in this line. I also know that a lot of other breeders have Fedor in their in their lines and since he is such a prominent dog in European Doberman lines in general , that is another reason I researched him. I did not create this post to talk about the structure of Fedor or anything else. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding how information was presented on the site.

9. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

And Panama has already answered your question. It is her right as a member to make comments and share her opinion no matter the original question as long as she is not being rude, which she was not. Often times threads take on a life of their own as members share information and their opinions. That is just how forums work.

For now, let’s get back to the topic at hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  10. Panama

I don't know how the Euro database uses the info provided, but thank you for showing how they mark vWD Carrier.

Fedor's dam died of Torsion at 8
    Maternal Grandsire died of Cardio at the age of 4 & Great-Grandsire died of Cardio at 5
    Maternal Grand-dam died at 9 (no COD)

Fedor's sire died at 12
    Fraternal Grandsire died just over 12 & Great Grandsire died at 11
    Fraternal Grand-dam died of Torsion at age 3 & Great Grand-dam died at 9 (no COD)

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Kay Shaw

Sorry if I came across as rude earlier(I’m pretty sure I did) You were just trying help and give me some advice. It wasn’t my intention to be snappy with you it just seems a lot of people are this forum are kind of condescending and at first I thought you were one of those people. Hopefully, you accept my apology because I understand that I was extremely rude earlier and that I overreacted. You seem like a really knowledgeable person and I just wanted say thank you for sharing your opinion and knowledge with me.

12. Panama

Thank you. No big deal. Now 8-9 yrs ago... might have been a different story.... LOL :machinegun: just kidding!

We end up with a lot of members that have either been brushed off, ignored or flat told off in other forums, rather them trying to help someone. You landed in the right place.

In your search, please let us know if vWD is marked by a different color dot. Maybe we can figure out what it actually indicates. (Maybe green for Clear / Blue for Carrier / Red for Affected or something like that)

13. Kay Shaw

Ok, I will definitely do that. And I was apart of another forum and everyone acted like they knew everything and were just really arrogant. Which is why I’m here.

14. Kay Shaw

I did some more research and a blue dot means that the dog is a carrier and a green dot means clear.

• Informative Informative x 2