1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

victor grain free

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by WILD ACE, May 15, 2019.

1. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

As some of you know my Ace has the worse tummy and food issues ever. bad poops times of throwing up . was told he had colitis and they treated him with predizone and antibiotics for a couple weeks . then they but him on this food thinking that maybe why he cant keep weight on is food allergies. wanted to medicate for anxiety. well we have tried the food for a month now. (i'm not a huge grain free diet believer ) has had no throwing up all. formed solid poops and is finally putting a few pounds on and keeping it on. i never did put him on any meds for anxiety i feel hes just a busy bit of high strung pup. Ace does not get people food other then a bit of cheese for any reason the hubby feels he needs a treat. no rawhides pigs ears bully sticks or anything as sends his guts and poops into a 3 day recovery. so that said he does get a prebiotic and probiotic everyday and i use solid gold each meal. so my all time question is do i keep him on grain free or am i putting a time line on him to get sick and die young? this little beast keeps me on my toes with weight, poops and barfing till the last month!

Attached Files:

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

That is a tough question. It does sound like he has had a lot of tummy troubles, so now that you have a solution that works, should you stick with it despite the controversy around grain free diets. Total dilemma.

Kaiser had runny poops up till 5 or 6 months old. He’d produce these soft piles and it was terrible because we would have to wash the yard all the time. In hindsight, I think high protein was the culprit. So a lower percentage protein kibble might have solved the issue. I didn’t know that then and we were advised to try premade frozen raw dog food. I really did not want to make this move because I thought it would be horribly expensive but it solved the poop issue permanently and we’ve never looked back.

It’s great that you’ve got a pre/probiotic going as I strongly believe that helps with absorption of nutrients.

If raw isn’t an option, I would stay on GF for 6 months, then switch back to a lower protein kibble that is not GF. If the poops and puking return, then I think you have your answer.

Have you tried adding in ground eggshells or ground bone? In raw feeding, increasing bone content creates firmer stools so much so that it can cause constipation so it has to be balanced carefully.

Definitely wait for more opinions!

3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I know several people that feed their Dobes & Corso Victor Grain Free and all do great on it. However, they do add WHOLE GRAINS themselves. Oatmeal, brown/wild rice, millet are quality whole grains that dogs can utilize. B vitamins, vitamin E, magnesium, protein, iron, fiber, and potassium are found in most whole grains.

As with ANY change or addition to a diet, start small.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1