• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Very Informative site... and Raw Feeding Qs

If you haven't yet, join the co-op group for Michigan. People pitch in and make a large enough order to be able to get good meat for cheap from processing plants. They post other good things too like cheap freezers, grocery store deals, and other local areas to pick up a variety of raw meats and organs. I'm in one for the Michiana area. Luckily, we have a decent selection here with the local Amish businesses and meat markets.

Michiana Raw Co-Op
需要安全验证

Detroit Co-Op
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/1707063922911335/"]需要安全验证[/URL]

Thanks @AresMyDobie...let's begin...what kind of scale do you use? To weigh everything up? Gonna pick one up tomorrow and get this party started. If I join my order has to be in by the 12th. Also was wondering do you just purchase monthly or more? @Rits I will look into those, the one I am considering at this point is Carnivore Carry out and it's a co-op, they deliver not to far from me to.

The Michiana one is for southwest Michigan, I'm southeast. But I did request to join the Detroit one on FB. Wonder who their distributor is...

I just use a kitchen food scale :) very easy. Start slow and work up :) I started with chicken, now some dogs have chicken allergies so things to look for are scratching, head shaking, and paw licking. If you notice this after feeding then switch to turkey. Depending on the dog is when you can do a protein change. Ares was on chicken only no organ for a week, after that I was able to introduce beef and after that bits of organ. Heart, gizzard and tripe are not organs, they are muscle meat ;) liver is essential so how I do it is I have an organ night witch is 5% of their diet and liver night which is the 5%. My meals don't balance daily, they balance by the end of the week. Much easier :) but again you have to work up to that point. If your dogs are inhalers then I suggest hand feeding and holding bone because you don't want a blockage, typical if they try to inhale they puke. I feed fish about once or twice a week. Fish and pork should be frozen for at least two weeks before feeding :)

The Michiana one is for southwest Michigan, I'm southeast. But I did request to join the Detroit one on FB. Wonder who their distributor is...
They (the detroit group) sometimes go in on some of our orders. They most likely use Bailey Farms, Lowery's, Big Dan's, My Pet Carnivore... and some others in the Detroit area that I don't know about. Beauty about being in a co-op is really the group can order from anywhere within 200-300 miles if the order is large enough to make it worth everyone's while. Some of the places will drive a delivery truck and meet your pickup person half way. Then the pickup person brings the stuff back to everyone else for a small fuel fee. :) Its really awesome to have a local group for this stuff, opens up so many more options for getting access to raw.

So when you order do you only order by the month? I was just thinking I would rather order for like 3 months so I don't have to drive out there in the middle of winter...we get snow (frozen humidity) lol

So when you order do you only order by the month? I was just thinking I would rather order for like 3 months so I don't have to drive out there in the middle of winter...we get snow (frozen humidity) lol
You should check out rawfeedimiami.com, you can order when you want and what you want :)

If the pork is safe for human consumption (gov't inspected) you do not need to freeze it for 3-4 weeks because by law, any food fit for human consumption has to be de-wormed anyways. Any wild game does need to be frozen for that long, however.

Order however much you can hold, basically, lol. We order organs for 3 months out just to make it easier for us since the place we get organs from is a little bit of a drive. We get in on the co-op orders that are usually every 4-5 months (for my group anyways, might be more often in the bigger groups). Otherwise, we pick up from our local stores weekly because I live in an apartment and can't deal with that much meat. Thankfully we cook mostly fresh, so we don't need much freezer space. Can't wait to be in a house...that first purchase is sooo going to be a freezer. :D:D Just don't let anyone look in your freezer, they might think you're a crazy killer! :shock:

If the pork is safe for human consumption (gov't inspected) you do not need to freeze it for 3-4 weeks because by law, any food fit for human consumption has to be de-wormed anyways. Any wild game does need to be frozen for that long, however.

Order however much you can hold, basically, lol. We order organs for 3 months out just to make it easier for us since the place we get organs from is a little bit of a drive. We get in on the co-op orders that are usually every 4-5 months (for my group anyways, might be more often in the bigger groups). Otherwise, we pick up from our local stores weekly because I live in an apartment and can't deal with that much meat. Thankfully we cook mostly fresh, so we don't need much freezer space. Can't wait to be in a house...that first purchase is sooo going to be a freezer. :D:D Just don't let anyone look in your freezer, they might think you're a crazy killer! :shock:
I still freeze pork and fish for two weeks :) unless I get it from rfm. Then I don't have to worry about it lol

Yeah, that is convenient but the co-op prices are awesome. e.g. raw feed miami chicken feet are 2.5 lb @$6.70 Carnivore carry out chicken feet 2.5 lb @$3.37. And then there is shipping... $30.00 a yr to join the co-op and they deliver pretty close to me.

So OK, I get a sh*t load of meat...what's the routine? You separate, weigh and bag it, then freeze till you use? How do you figure out the percentages? This post sounds like I did NO research! No really I did. I understand how to start and that I need to add in different proteins slowly and that they need organs and muscle and bone. See I have been studying up! lol

Something to also pay attention to, check for any enhancements. A lot of meat for human consumption is injected with additives that can cause itchiness, panting, increased thirst and urination etc. So check that the sodium content is under 100mg per serving. All those Turkeys from Thanksgiving for dirt cheap seems like it'd be a good deal but I couldn't find one Turkey that wasn't shot up to high heavens with sodium! :rolleyes:

There are a handful of us that feed raw on here and there is a sub forum for the discussion, so ask away like AMD said if you think of anything! :D You'll find that people feed raw different ways but as long as you stick to the 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% organs and 5% liver and feed variety as often as possible, you'll be good! You'll pick up other details along the way but the 80/10/10 is and variety are key.

I do prey model. I do however add steamed or puréed veggies and fruits about once or twice a month.
Great calculator and a ton of info is on perfectlyrawsome.com:)

Back