• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Venue VS. Purebred

Dobs4ever

Hot Topics Subscriber
VENUE VS. PUREBRED
Defending the qualities of the Doberman over venues of competition.

Venue: the place where something happens, especially an organized event such as a concert, conference, or sports event.
Purebred: of or pertaining to an animal, all of whose ancestors derive over many generations from a recognized breed

In the "venues" of today we perform a series of tricks that we have communicated to our Dobermans through training.However Frank Grover noted, "It is not what we communicate to them but what they communicate to us that makes the Doberman special."

Today the AKC together with the HSUS seem to be working to erase all uniqueness from all breeds. The new image is all dogs can do all things even mixed breeds. The need and the uniqueness of our breed is all but gone from our vision. Sadly many feel that competitions are the only way to prove the value of our breeds qualities. Perhaps this has become true because we need the recognition more than the dogs themselves. Unfortunately this mind set has become an essential part of the radical plan to end standards and eventually the breeding of purebred dogs. The AKC which is slowly transforming will always have "venues" and registered mixed breeds to compete in them but if we do not stand for something we will loose OUR breed.

Concerning the ad and photo in question... I have seen breeds of all shapes and sizes, cropped and uncropped, docked and undocked bite a sleeve and am not impressed with an action few will ever need from their dog. Never the less what someone chooses as a sport should not give or take from a breed club. We should have the freedom to stand up for OUR breed without offending anyone no matter what venue they compete in. We should not have to endorse a venue to save our breed. It is wrong to say we are actively for all venues especially when some venues disqualify our dogs in their competitions.

A friend once told me, It is not good enough to tell someone how to vote. We must educate them to make the right choice when they vote."This means an educated person should be able to make the right choice no matter what "venue" they compete in. They should feel passion for the breed itself. They should understand without competitions there will still be Dobermans but without breeders there will be no Dobermans to compete in competitions.

Some believe our breed became become popular through competitions. It did not. It became popular due to it's insight. It was called "THE DOG WITH THE HUMANE BRAIN". And because of that brain "training" became necessary to keep them. I do often hear obedience competitors comment on the importance of their structure. What they talk about is little more than fluff and often times they are just repeating something that they have been told rather than something they have experienced.. Many times their comments are in defense of a fault in their own dog just as they do with cropping and docking. As I have listen to their defenses it has become a glaring fact that today we are unable to defend our standard because there is so much we do not know.

Old dog people understood the importance of maintaining a standard. They had a grasp of the basics like the importance of a layback in the shoulder for running and jumping. They understood a tail carried slightly above the horizon had slight more muscle which created a stronger rear, that tight feet protected the dog from debris when running, erect ears aided the dog in directional hearing and that a dog with erect ears made for a better air scenter. THEY KNEW ALL THIS WITHOUT A PEER REVIEW STUDY AND WITHOUT SCHUTZHUND, OBEDIENCE, AGILITY OR RESCUE.

As uniqueness disappears from our lives take a moment to realize that uniqueness that lives with you. Take time to remember that is not a competition that attracts us to them and it is not a competition we mourn when they are gone. Do not be afraid to defend the breed. "Build it and they will come", Breed it and stand up for it and the world will notice".

Judie, I am not familiar with those organization taking another look at Dobermans for military and police work. When I spoke with Lackland AFB and several vendors around the world they were not interested in our breed for various reasons. I am attaching my CROSSROADS article which details those reasons. Perhaps you could give me the names of those organizations and a contact name to speak with. This way I can update the article, according to credible sources, which was published last year on the DOG PRESS, thank you.

Best Regards,
CinDee Byer

Well said. I don't know the dog world the way I knew the gun world. In the 70s, there was a fight for the heart of the NRA and those who wanted to defend the 2nd Amendment and take on all the gun banning legislation won. The fight was carried on in the board of directors elections. Is there any way of changing the board of directors of the AKC?

I'm disgusted with the new dumbed down Obedience recommendations. I think it's time for a change.

OB many believe we should be led by "business minded folks" who have NO EXPERIENCE in the dog world - either showing or breeding so they make rules and guidelines that sound good on paper but have NO UNDERSTANDING of dogs, dog behavior or standards.

The AR groups have used this very well against us by promoting and actually getting AKC to ban the use of prong and e collars for a start. Guess they prefer people get drug into the street and run over than correct a dog or have control of the dog.

We have dummied down school requirement for passing - we have dummied down just about everything til we are DUMB to reality and common sense. Sorry I did not mean to jump on my soap box. In the old days children, sports figures, dogs, horses etc had to compete and someone won and someone lost. Now lets dummy it down so no one wins but everyone looses.

The way you speak remember me so much of the movie Idiocracy but by looking around us we often realise the guy that made that movie probably wasn't just making a joke

Back