Update on Michael Vick’s Pit Bull Jonny Justice

d0ds0t

Hot Topics Subscriber
This should maybe go in the canine news topic, but I can't post there.

[I just found this article via Cesar Millan on facebook]

"Jonny Justice is a Pitbull rescued from Michael Vick’s dog fighting kennels. Within 12 months he had been certified as
a service dog and was working in a reading program that encouraged kids to come to the library and read aloud.

But, sadly, human prejudice got in the way. The program was called Paws for Tales and was run by the Humane Society
of the Peninsula in Northern California and provided dogs for a program at Burlingame Public Library amongst other places.

But in the newly released paperback edition of The Lost Dogs, author Jim Gorant followed up on the story he had told in
the first edition of the book. And he discovered that the Burlingame librarian had banned Pit Bulls from the program
because she said parents had raised concerns.

Advocates for Jonny and other Pit Bulls mounted a challenge and found that under California law breeds
cannot be singled out for anything other than mandatory spay and neuter programs. Town leaders realized that they were in violation
of the law and ended the ban but in response the library ended the entire Paws for Tales program."

How sad. And when he was doing such good work. If only people would seek out facts rather than jump on whatever bandwagon the media feeds them. I wonder how many parents actually complained?

It is sad and the only thing it's teaching everyone is that it's okay be be biased without knowing the reality...

That is such sad news, if only they could lose the prejudice long enough to see the good the dogs can do, they would do a complete turn around. I think back to when Mysti did the reading program at our local library, and how excited the kids were to sit and read to Mysti, there was not one kid who was afraid of her or had a problem with her being a doberman, hell half the kids didnt even know what breed she was, and NONE of the parents questioned leaving their kids in our care. After the initial kick off week, when we broke down into smaller groups for the summer program to begin, we had several different dogs coming into the library, I dont know what all the breeds were but I do know that not one handler was asked about the breed of dog they had, and all the parents welcomed them ALL with gratitude for what those dogs were doing for their kids.
It is so sad that a program that benefits kids as much as this one does would close its doors simply because it cannot keep a breed out, just because it does not understand the basics of dog training and has such a closed mind it cannot see how some things can be changed with a little love and care. Someone should take the people responsible and shut them in a room full of well behaved pit bulls and make them see just what kind of loving dogs they really are!

Hysteria rules the day and common sense it out the door after all who cares if children learn to read or not????

Did you not know?? Of course it is not imporant to learn to read. It is much more important to sit around and play video games and stare at the idiot box. Gone are the days that we read and try to expand our imagination and vocabulary... know needs that? Heck we can now go out to a restaurant with a group of friends and text (in slang, no english here) friends that are not with us, and ignore the ones sitting right there with us.
Did you not here, of course pitt bulls and dobermans are mean vicious animals, if you don't believe me, ask hollywood or your local media station. Don't even bother, you can walk in to the local pet store with one and freak out half the store.
But as far as I am concerned, I am going to keep owning my vicious little creature and let the crazies keep their peekapoo's and yorkies and when someone tries to yank them out of their car, I will have the last laugh.

Back