Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

update on ear crop

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by astalavista, Nov 20, 2020 at 11:41 AM.

1. astalavista

astalavista New Member

just a little update on my puppies ear crop almost two weeks since and they are not looking too good :( this ear crop process has been so frustrating for me doing everything on my own and I feel a little hopeless at this point, i’ve been putting the cone on her every time she is crated and redirecting her attention when the cone is off and she tries to itch. her noodle fell off three days ago and it took me 6 tries to put it back on. her stitches come out monday. my breeder sent a picture of what her puppies ear crop updates look and they look much better than my girl :( someone please give me some hope!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

They look really good to me. My pups cup came off too and my breeder said I could leave them down until the stitches came out days later. I just checked and her ears were free for 5 days, then the stitches came out then she was posted shortly after. It didn't set them back any. You can kinda see how Ripley's ears looked at 9 weeks in the pic below when she came home. They are scabbed over but the red makes it look worse than it is. She already had the top stitches removed by the breeder and I just had to remove the bottom a week later, then post once all the scabs were healed.

MVIMG_20200802_153501.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Deep breath, everything looks fine. :) Have a good look around the puppy section, plenty of threads to help. Can't find the answer? Just ask! Lots and lots of people can and will help so you are NOT alone. We'll all walk you right through it. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

They look fine to me too. I know it's scary when you're a first time owner but they'll look great in 6 months if you're diligent with posting when the pup is ready.

I agree that if stuff falls off, just leave it and they'll be fine.

5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You're doing fine!

In a first-timer, things can feel overwhelming. The ears look kind of bad in the early stage, what with scabs and even some blood.

Things will smooth out, especially once the stitches are out and the incisions healed. You'll fall into what will probably be an enjoyable routine for you and your Doberpup of posting with backer rods. You can even choose fun colored duct tape, or with fun designs, to wrap the posts in.

6. Pb57

Pb57 New Member

I was scared of the process as well. My boys ears weren't healed and I was posting them. I then read on here to leave them unposted for a couple weeks until they are healed up. Wont affect them at all and they need to heal. Once my boys ears were completely healed I started posting again. worked out perfect and by 6 months old he was done and now at almost a year old he is beautiful. Paul

7. Panama

Panama Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

The left ear looks like it's healing pretty good. The right ear... me personally, I'd be a little concerned with. That one area I circled, can you get a better picture of it?

crop.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. astalavista

astalavista New Member

this is what her ears look like today :( Im about to go to the vet for them to look at it

Attached Files:

9. astalavista

astalavista New Member

turns out they are infected:( she is on clavaseptin for 7 days now

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  10. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That stinks but a good reason why it's hard to give advice through the internet and pics. Smell would be the first sign. Always a good idea to have the vet check! Good thing she will be well on her way as you wouldn't be able to post yet anyways while they are still healing.

11. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

So sorry for your troubles, but like others have said here, it will all be OK. Don't give up, and this early it's totally fine to leave them alone for healing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Logansmommy19

Logansmommy19 New Member

Just to give you a little piece of mind I’ll share some pictures of my pups ears after his were cropped and they looked just like yours. I think they are going to be okay! Put some neosporin on them! The vet who did my pups told us to give our pup a half of a benedryl to help him sleepy while he was healing. When you start posting them I highly recommend you looking up the dr. Scholls mole foam ear standing method on YouTube by Pete b. It took us 2 months using that method. My boys ears are perfect and he’s a little over one now.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. astalavista

astalavista New Member

thank you so much for sharing those pictures!!!