• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Underweight 6 mo male

Modernhera

Hello! My husband and I adopted a 6mo fawn male last week. He’s beautiful but SO thin! He weighed in at 36lb but the vet isn’t concerned and said that can be normal. He’s been dewormed and we had a fecal test done so it’s not likely that. He’s already taller than our 5yr old female Dobe. She was 74lb at her last visit. We free feed Nutro for both. He does have a recessed testicle but I’m not sure that would cause him to not gain. He has had diarrhea since we got him (previous owner apparently fed him corn ‍♀️) but I’m hoping it’s still just him adjusting to new food.

Any advice or should we not be concerned?

Cold turkey. Not sure what previous owner had him on. Other than corn ‍♀️ Per his first poo.

Attachments

• 07CE2A44-D5C9-402F-A76C-2E73695666A6.jpeg
    07CE2A44-D5C9-402F-A76C-2E73695666A6.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 34
  • F17E865B-4995-4DE8-B880-5184C3D86B52.jpeg
    F17E865B-4995-4DE8-B880-5184C3D86B52.jpeg
    219.7 KB · Views: 33
Corn? Like corn kernels? Wow. Dogs can’t digest that. I know because I used to add corn so I could time my dogs digestion. That weight seems low to me but it will depend on how he looks. For us it was about 10 lbs per month until 7 months old. Then weight went on slower.

He kind of look more like a Blue. He does look thin, but his spine isn't showing and breast bone isn't poking out. Maybe he's just that narrow in build.

He does have a recessed testicle but I’m not sure that would cause him to not gain.
Someone with more medical knowledge will be able to comment on this but I think there may be an issue around this.

Re the upset stomach, they are very sensitive that way. Plus he is still settling in with his new people so give it some time. A probiotic always helps!

Aww his face is so cute. How does your female feel about him?

Someone with more medical knowledge will be able to comment on this but I think there may be an issue around this.

Re the upset stomach, they are very sensitive that way. Plus he is still settling in with his new people so give it some time. A probiotic always helps!

Aww his face is so cute. How does your female feel about him?

She’s slowly adjusting lol wasn’t happy at all when we first brought him home. And I JUST noticed her covering her pee outside! She’s never done that before. We do have another male (dachshund), who is the alpha believe it or not lol

I think he was making food for the pup to get him fattened up.
The things people do. I’m always curious what compels a person to give up a Dobe. Did the other owner give any info? At 6 months old he’s probably entered his teenage mischief stage but he looks rather innocent (for now!) in the pics lol.

His body condition looks pretty ok to me. Nothing to worry about anyway.

Wow, would love to see the whole pack together. Especially the little boss haha.

The things people do. I’m always curious what compels a person to give up a Dobe. Did the other owner give any info? At 6 months old he’s probably entered his teenage mischief stage but he looks rather innocent (for now!) in the pics lol.

His body condition looks pretty ok to me. Nothing to worry about anyway.

Wow, would love to see the whole pack together. Especially the little boss haha.

He said his mother needed medical care and he couldn’t keep him any longer. I couldn’t give up our babies though. We want an army of them once we get some acreage! But yes he likes stealing pillows and blankets lol and still working on accidents. He’s kennel trained but the dude worked on a ranch so the dog was always outside with him.

No ‘together’ shots yet lol but here’s some i just snapped of the rest of the gang.

Attachments

• 5631B2F9-F4AD-42E8-9DC7-91BCC0A6728D.jpeg
    5631B2F9-F4AD-42E8-9DC7-91BCC0A6728D.jpeg
    685.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 377F30EB-A9A0-42DD-823C-8CBCB717F682.jpeg
    377F30EB-A9A0-42DD-823C-8CBCB717F682.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 19
Very cute! The little boss looks like he means business haha.

Ya I’d never be able to give up my Dobe either, no matter how crazy he can be.

This might be a better color shot of him. I think he looks more fawn than blue. My lights were off in the house.
Must have been the lighting. I would put him on a good probiotic and good food. (Not grain free)
When changing to a different food take at least 14 days to wean over to it by adding 90% of old food and 10% of new for a couple days, then an 80% old food and 20% new for 3 days, then increase by 10% every 3 days until you have completely changed to the new food.

Must have been the lighting. I would put him on a good probiotic and good food. (Not grain free)
When changing to a different food take at least 14 days to wean over to it by adding 90% of old food and 10% of new for a couple days, then an 80% old food and 20% new for 3 days, then increase by 10% every 3 days until you have completely changed to the new food.

Why not grain free? I’d heard that was bad for dogs. But then again most homemade meals I’ve seen have brown rice in them. I’m debating on making them food myself to feed once a day and then kibble for the other meal.

Why not grain free?[/QUOTE

It has been determined that grain free diet is responsible for diet related DCM in breeds not predisposed to DCM such as the Golden Retrievers.
Dobermanns are genetically predisposed to developing DCM so caution should be exercised when determining a diet for them. If you decide to cook their food be sure to research recipes because you will need to add minerals, vitamins and nutrients to their diet. Cooking food will destroy the benefits that raw provides and those will need to be replaced.

Back