Underweight 11 week doberman

I'm not familiar with that food, but I can tell you that mine only poop twice a day at the most, sometimes even only once, so your puppy might not get as much out of the food as you might think.
I don't know what foods are available to you, but if you are not able to get anything of higher quality, it may be worth adding oil or something like that to the feed in order to add calories.

Thanks friends. Otherthan luking underweight he seems perfectly allrigjt. He is full of energy , pro active , very alert to surroundings. his coat is really shine pic taken here was shot without flash in natural ligjt . His food is * drools puppy performance* which is highly recommended by vets here in india. he is 50 pounds . poops 3 times a day. May be his patents were thin also. His height is 26 inch at withers. What you expects his final height
I hate to say it but you need a better food. This is the ingredients I found on doing a google search for the drools.
chicken>30% , whole dried eggs , animal fats , fish oil , corn oil , soy refined oil , lecithin , corn , rice , wheat , corn gluten meal , mono calcium phosphate , calcium carbonate and salt

Dogs shouldn't be fed corn. All it is is a filler. This just doesn't seem like a quality food. The more filler the more poop. Like Katja said mine only poops once maybe twice a day

these are not correct ingredients, the right ones are chicken, fish oil and soya refined oil as main ingredients and doesnt contain any filler like corn etc. more over most of vet do recommend it here. so if vets says its quality then it must be quality. Regarding Poops, many topics in this forum states that pooping more is quite common and when dobs grow up it reduces. but for 7 months it seems OK kind. I would try probiotic instead of changing food cos on this food his coat is really shining and poops are of very small quantity. May be 3 poos of 1 single poop quantity of many dogs. Many pics here in these forums dobs looks almost identical to Maxx at this age. My concern is how much height he will gain, weight i think he will fill out at later stages.

these are not correct ingredients, the right ones are chicken, fish oil and soya refined oil as main ingredients and doesnt contain any filler like corn etc. more over most of vet do recommend it here. so if vets says its quality then it must be quality. Regarding Poops, many topics in this forum states that pooping more is quite common and when dobs grow up it reduces. but for 7 months it seems OK kind. I would try probiotic instead of changing food cos on this food his coat is really shining and poops are of very small quantity. May be 3 poos of 1 single poop quantity of many dogs. Many pics here in these forums dobs looks almost identical to Maxx at this age. My concern is how much height he will gain, weight i think he will fill out at later stages.

Is he nuetered? This can play a role in height. Dogs need to be intact in order to have the sexual hormones tell the body when the growth plates should close (18months average). When dogs are nuetered too early they can become taller than they should and not fill out properly. What was his father and grandfathers height?

Apologies for the ingredients list. I was just going buy the site I found that sells that food and the ingrident list they provided.

I'm sure it is different where you are, but here in the US, when a vet says it's a good food it's normally not. Like Science Diet for example. Vets push that stuff as quality kibble all day but it's pure junk. But that's a whole other topic.

I'm not sure what a probiotic would do or you. If your dog poops are formed and he is not constipated or having loose stools then his GI flora are doing their job fine. It won't make him gain weight or affect his height to give probiotics. However you can give him some anyways if you so desire.

Other question. Has he has any bloodwork done. I know he isn't a year old yet so his one year wellness panel wouldn't have been done but did they run any endocrine tests?

no his bloodwork hasnt been done. but he did went to vet office and vet said he is fine. he said they are lean breed so i should not worry much. he may get fill out later on. By the way i dont know about endocrine test, metabolic test. Could you please guide me to it or send a link of any information. His poops are pretty firm and consistent and of lesser quantity.

Endocrine testing will be done with blood work. If you dog has a hard time keeping weight on despite the excessive amount of food he is being fed and your 100% sure it's not the food or intestinal parasites, then your vet should do a blood screen for problems with his endocrine system. Your Dobie is a lean breed yes, but he is still thin and all along in this post it seems he has been too thin. Doesn't that make you think something is causing this?

Now all I can say is that you should feed him more daily until you see he is gaining weight. If you don't want to do that then it's up to the vet to do his job and look at the bigger picture to make sure your dog dosent have any underlying metabolic issues.

Yes your dog will fill out with muscle if he isn't nuetered up until three years old. But again we are talking about his life history until now. It's not appropriate to assume just because he will fill out in a few yeas that makes his current underweight issues okay. Something is causing that. Start with the least invasive and get to work figuring it out.

1. Up his food
2. Parasite sample including Protozoa check.
3. Vet should do blood work
4. Vet should check for any endocrine issues

If those things are done I'm confident you will resolve his issues. Let us know which route you take and the results. Best of luck.

Thanks. First of all i will do deworming with fenbendazole nd pyrantel for 3 days treatment. Then i would up his food bit by bit. Then wait till a month and see wat is result.

Still too skinny. When i zoom on your picture (on my cell) i can count his ribs. I stand by my last comment on March 10th. (I'd even consider free feeding at this point) if blood work was normal.

He is full of energy , pro active , very alert to surroundings. his coat is really shine pic taken here was shot without flash in natural ligjt .

Well there you go...all good indicators of good health. I think sometimes that people just worry too much about the weight thing. My Drake is thing. My Drake is thin, always has been. People used to give me grief about it all the time. Saying things like "Don't you feed that dog?" I know where he comes from, his grandsire was thin till he matured at almost 4 and his sire didn't mature and develop his "look" until he was about 3. I don't worry about Drake. I know he eats a good diet and has all the sign of great health. I think sometimes people can worry to much about and keep feeding the dog more and more. Before you know it you have the opposite problem, an obese dog with the health problems that it leads to. Don't worry, if you know he is eating, has a great energy level and shows the signs of being healthy, just enjoy your puppy. They grow up so fast.
Is there anyway you could fins out about his parents? Maybe when you see that info it will put your mind at ease.

Feed him a good quality chow and when he is more active with runs and walks feed him more. If he hasn't been wormed in a while I would certainly do that.

frinds. Maxx in now 11 months. Pls comment on attached pics of him. :mail:

Attachments

• DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_0119.JPG
    DSC_0119.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 50
Looking much better :) He's getting nice muscle and you should start to see him fill out more up to 2 years old. Looks like he'll always be a lean dude.

He looks good. My vet told me that it was okay to see the first two ribs. My boy was as thin as Maxx at 11 months and is such a picky eater now at 13 months that he is still very lanky. I just make sure he doesn't go thinner than the two ribs and that his coat, gums, eyes look good. Some boys just don't fill out until they're closer to two, so I've heard.

Back