Two waiting lists?

Dnetmd

$ Premium Subscriber $
Now that Rhea is 2 1/2 and spayed we are starting a puppy search again. For a moment I was considering a Great Dane but I’m set on another Dobie, preferably a red male, and preferably by the end of they year. I have two breeders in mind with expected litters. The first is our breeder we got Rhea from and the other I’m still researching but looks to be a good prospect. I can get on the extensive waiting list for Rhea’s breeder but there is no guarantee that she will have a puppy for me. If the second breeder checks out would it be proper if I get on both lists in case one doesn’t work out? I’m not sure if that is frowned upon.

When I was puppy searching, I applied to several breeders and was approved. One breeder the litter was small & didn't have a female (I was set on that), another litter the bitch didn't take, another litter I backed out because I couldn't get comfortable with the photos & info I was getting on the sire & dam, another breeder offered a male - and by this time I was about to explode with puppy fever, but stuck to my guns and said I was going to wait on a female... and I just kept looking & I'm glad I did. No sense in putting all your faith that one breeder will work, because for me it didn't 3 or 4 times and since I was constantly looking I kept coming up with more possibilities.

When I was puppy searching, I applied to several breeders and was approved. One breeder the litter was small & didn't have a female (I was set on that), another litter the bitch didn't take, another litter I backed out because I couldn't get comfortable with the photos & info I was getting on the sire & dam, another breeder offered a male - and by this time I was about to explode with puppy fever, but stuck to my guns and said I was going to wait on a female... and I just kept looking & I'm glad I did. No sense in putting all your faith that one breeder will work, because for me it didn't 3 or 4 times and since I was constantly looking I kept coming up with more possibilities.
I do think it would be smart to keep our options open and I do plan on having a honest conversation and being open with the breeders about it if we do decide to do that. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be burning bridges just by posing the question and considering it beforehand. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the waiting list require a deposit and up front agreement that if the bitch produce enough puppies, and what you are looking for, that you are obligated to purchase? If it is a Typical waiting lists, deposits usually are required once puppies are born and you are selected as one of the new homes. If that is the case, I think it is fine to get on more than one waiting list.

That's a good question. I've not yet been in that situation.

Doesn't it usually require a deposit to get on a waiting list? That is perhaps why I don't hear this question very often.

Just thinking about it off the top of my head, I'd say I might get on multiple lists if they were all a fairly long time away from the breedings. Otherwise, I think I would feel badly about knowing I am taking a spot and might pull out.

Then there's that matter of a deposit. I certainly would not set myself up to waste hundreds of dollars.

While responding to your post my original breeder returned my call. I went ahead and told her and asked her opinion and she was absolutely fine with it. I told her the other breeder I was considering and she highly recommended him. She said it would be smart to get on both so I feel much better about it. Thanks DG!

That's a good question. I've not yet been in that situation.

Doesn't it usually require a deposit to get on a waiting list? That is perhaps why I don't hear this question very often.

Just thinking about it off the top of my head, I'd say I might get on multiple lists if they were all a fairly long time away from the breedings. Otherwise, I think I would feel badly about knowing I am taking a spot and might pull out.

Then there's that matter of a deposit. I certainly would not set myself up to waste hundreds of dollars.
No waiting list deposit for one. Have to check on the other still. Only a deposit to reserve the puppy if they have one for me next litter. That being said I don’t mind paying a “small” deposit if required. Hundreds might be a stretch but not a deal breaker for me. Not sure about my husband. 😆

No waiting list deposit for one. Have to check on the other still. Only a deposit to reserve the puppy if they have one for me next litter. That being said I don’t mind paying a “small” deposit if required. Hundreds might be a stretch but not a deal breaker for me. Not sure about my husband. 😆
I hear ya' on the spouse thing. My wife's first choice would be get no dog after Oji passes away. Her second option would be to adopt a furry cute little mutt.

I applied with a few breeders (and was approved) when we were looking and got Albert. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

With Phoebe I only applied with her breeder since Phoebe would have been a 3rd dog at the time (before we lost Della) but Phoebe's breeder also had a few co-owned litters coming up so we could have been on the list with them too if she didn't have a red girl for us.

I was on two waiting lists for Ripley. Didn't pay a deposit for one, I was further down the list, and the other I paid a very small deposit once pregnancy was confirmed (that would be moved to a future litter if it didn't pan out) to show that I was seriously interested. Didn't pay a larger deposit until they were 6 weeks and paid the final amount when I picked her up. Both breeders were aware and understanding of me being on another's waiting list. I think it helped confirm too that they made a good choice in accepting me as a potential puppy owner because they knew each other and knew their criteria for being approved.

I applied with a few breeders (and was approved) when we were looking and got Albert. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

With Phoebe I only applied with her breeder since Phoebe would have been a 3rd dog at the time (before we lost Della) but Phoebe's breeder also had a few co-owned litters coming up so we could have been on the list with them too if she didn't have a red girl for us.
Is there a distinction between putting in a puppy application and being approved, and getting on a waiting list? I would think there would be. I could be wrong.

Is there a distinction between putting in a puppy application and being approved, and getting on a waiting list? I would think there would be. I could be wrong.
I imagine it's in the eyes of the breeder. If they have 20 approved applications for a breeding where they expect 10 puppies, there would be a wait list. Someone is not going to get a puppy, but if they want to wait for the next litter they would have preference over new applicants. If they have 5 applications for 10 puppies already born, that would change everything.

I imagine it's in the eyes of the breeder. If they have 20 approved applications for a breeding where they expect 10 puppies, there would be a wait list. Someone is not going to get a puppy, but if they want to wait for the next litter they would have preference over new applicants. If they have 5 applications for 10 puppies already born, that would change everything.
I think one of the things that flavored my thinking is that I've never actually been on a waiting list. It just hasn't worked that way for me. It's pretty interesting. Anyway, I know that, modern day, many breeders have websites (which actually are becoming replaced by the f'book and the insta) and one of the supposedly viable ways to initially contact a breeder is to fill out a puppy application. Most times, you never hear back from them, just as with an email or a phone call.

With a Boerboel breeder here in the Midwest who it seems to me may be the most respected in the nation, I tried the puppy app. but it wouldn't go through, then some time later I emailed them. They actually replied, but the reply consisted of: "Where's your puppy application?"

I tried the puppy app. but it wouldn't go through, then some time later I emailed them. They actually replied, but the reply consisted of: "Where's your puppy application?"
I think with Phoebe's breeder I emailed the puppy application and then messaged her via FB to let her know I sent one. Same thing when we got on a wait list for our fence. I used the "contact us" option on their FB page and he got right back to me when others said they couldn't reach or get a reply from them the conventional way. I don't like the way so many things are FB based but in the past year or more, it seems the best way to actually reach someone.

Back