Two Great Danes kill woman in Pennsylvania

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Damn….that’s horrible. I don’t think I have ever met an aggressive Great Dane.

Pennsylvania mother viciously killed by neighbor’s Great Danes in front of young son​

By David Propper​

By David Propper
March 19, 2023 | 9:56pm

poster.jpg

A Pennsylvania mother was viciously mauled to death in front of her young son by her neighbor’s two Great Danes when they went over to feed them while the owner was away, authorities said.

Kristen Potter was killed after the two large dogs launched at her inside the neighbor’s home Thursday evening, Perry County Coroner Robert Ressler said.

First responders and police officers couldn’t reach the 38-year-old victim until animal control officers showed up and tranquilized the dogs, Ressler said.

Her young son joined her to feed the dogs while the owner was away, but rushed out for help after the dogs targeted Potter.

“He was present at the scene, but I don’t think he was there for much of it,” Ressler said, according to WGAL. “As soon as he saw the dogs starting to attack his mother, he ran across the road to have his brother call 911.”

Kristen Potter was killed by two Great Danes Thursday. Jennifer Keefer/Gofundme
Advertisement
The two dogs involved in Potter’s attack were later euthanized at a veterinarian’s office.

A third Great Dane was also inside the home, but was not part of the deadly mauling, officials said.

Brandon Zeiders, whose fiancée is Potter’s sister, said he was told by state police the two Great Danes might have been fighting and then turned their ire toward Potter when she intervened, according to Penn Live.

Potter was remembered as a loving person who endured tragedy. Kristin Potter/Facebook
Advertisement
The dogs’ owner told the outlet she was “heartbroken” by the incident.

“I’m heartbroken, I’m in shock, I’m in disbelief and I just want to die,” Wendy Sabathne said. “I can’t believe this happened.”

Potter’s father, Bill Keefer, reportedly said one of the dogs previously bit Potter “two or three years go.”

Potter already endured her husband dying several years ago as well as the death of one of her sons, who was 11 when he was fatally struck as he rode his bike in 2020, family told Penn Live.
https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/03/mom-killed-by-neighbors-dog-0006.jpg
She was engaged and soon supposed to move to Florida with her future husband, relatives said.

The victim’s younger sister remembered the Centre Township mother of two as someone who had “a very beautiful personality.”

“When you’re around her, you just feel better,” sister Jennifer Keefer told WGAL. “When you talk to her, you just feel better.”

“She was just loveable to be around,” Keefer continued. “Everyone loved her.”

Wow I've never seen an aggressive Dane either.
Brandon Zeiders, whose fiancée is Potter’s sister, said he was told by state police the two Great Danes might have been fighting and then turned their ire toward Potter when she intervened
Well they probably were dealing with SSA and she approached at the wrong time.

Wow I've never seen an aggressive Dane either.

Well they probably were dealing with SSA and she approached at the wrong time.

I clicked the links and read the article. Nowhere did it mention the sex of any of the 3 dogs. Not the 2 involved or the one that was supposedly not involved.

Also did not mention any 'evidence' of fighting between the 2 dogs. (with dogs that large and powerful - there would have been obvious signs (one or both would have had some damage on them) if they were going at it in a bad way). Instead of mentioning any evidence they used the words 'might have been' - meaning they have no idea.

[QUOTE}Ressler said police and emergency medical services couldn't reach Potter when they arrived because of the aggressive dogs.
Animal control was called and tranquilized the dogs[/QUOTE]

That quote leads me to wonder if the dogs were not just being territorial. Perhaps those 2 dogs didn't want ANY strangers in that home?

QUOTE}Ressler said police and emergency medical services couldn't reach Potter when they arrived because of the aggressive dogs.
Animal control was called and tranquilized the dogs

That quote leads me to wonder if the dogs were not just being territorial. Perhaps those 2 dogs didn't want ANY strangers in that home?
[/QUOTE]
See and I thought that that quote meant that the dogs were being territorial. I'm sure this lady has fed them before but walking into someone's home, maybe they thought it was an intruder? I don't know. But it's absolutely horrifying. Just horrifying that they actually killed her. I can't even imagine being killed by a couple of dogs. It's very distressing.

And I feel just as bad for the owner of the dogs. How do you live with that? I'm sure the dogs had to be put down. She lost her husband and her son. Now her neighbor and her dogs. Dear God.😢

I find it hard to believe that the Danes were not shot. Why would they wait for Animal Control? I love dogs, I have been an Instructor and trained dogs most of my life, but I would have shot them to get to the victim.

I have been an Instructor and trained dogs most of my life, but I would have shot them to get to the victim.
Especially since almost 100% of dogs involved in mauling cases are euthanized anyway.

I haven't know many Great Danes in my life, but recently met one at a behavioral class. This couple had a male & female acquired as young adults as failed show ring dogs. The male began resource guarding the wife, not letting the husband near her. It was awful, but they got help very early on in the behavior and did end up being very successful in training. This was over a year ago and they have never had any problems since. I did note that the male dog was pretty nervy - eyes dart around, stiff walk etc. I thought several times I would not want to be attacked by a dog that massive with bad nerves. Gentle giants, nope.

Years ago I was working the trauma floor at a major hospital and treated a woman that was mauled by her own Rottweilers, four I believe.

She was walking out her back door to feed them in the yard and she lost her balance, fell and broke her ankle. The pain was so bad she shrieked and cried out. When she did this the Rotts attacked and mauled her. She was saved buy her husband who was swinging a broom and hammer to get them off.

She said she has no idea what happened…she shrieked and screamed out and something just clicked with her Rotts.

Her face, arms and hands were mauled beyond belief. Her face was unrecognizable.

: I am an Occupational Therapist- used to work hospital acute floors.

Another note I always see in deaths by mauling dogs: It is always more than one dog. Here's another place where I shouldn't say always, but seriously, look at every report and it's 2 or more dogs. I feel so badly for the victim and the child that went for help. That kind of trauma is hard to heal in a child.

totally agree, if we see someone with multiple dogs we always leash Kaiser because dogs who know each other will work in pack mode even if their humans arent expecting it.
Absolutely.

As a guy that prefers keeping pairs - I would think something was way 'wrong' if they did NOT try to work together as you suggest.

Last time a stray male came around here and refused to leave after a few warnings from me (would have preferred to ignore him and let it slide but for the non stop barking driving me nuts) I finally let the girls run his ass off. Instead of taking the hint he was not welcome he tried to stand his ground (in MY yard). Girls circled his butt real quick - One in the front and one in the back. :)

Only took two chomps for him to figure it out and take his butt elsewhere. The one girl took a chomp from his butt and as soon as he turned to look back there the other girl took her chomp at his neck. Those chomps were only a few seconds apart. He gave up (and bolted back to wherever he came from) without even considering a fight and never came back.

It 'should' have never came to that if the male had a brain. When he saw 2 females (both a good bit bigger than him) charging at his butt he 'should' have done the math and bailed right then. Sometimes they need to learn the hard way. :)

He gave up (and bolted back to wherever he came from) without even considering a fight and never came back.
I'm glad that worked out for you and that he bolted. But I would never want to send my two dogs out to mall another dog. Because if he fought back that would have been a three dog brawl and I don't think it would have been pretty for any of them. :2cents

I'm glad that worked out for you and that he bolted. But I would never want to send my two dogs out to mall another dog. Because if he fought back that would have been a three dog brawl and I don't think it would have been pretty for any of them. :2cents

Would it have been 'acceptable' to you if the stray had been (on my property) trying to eat my chickens? Or tear up my flowerbeds?

Serious question and curious.

s1KqxU3.jpg

What if I looked out the window and saw a human in the act of breaking into my vehicle? Would it be 'ok' to send the girls out to deter that activity or should I just run to the 'safe room', batten down the hatches and dial 911? (while my vehicle gets stolen waiting for them to arrive)

(not my dogs and not my picture but still same concept about 'pairs' of dogs dealing with intruders on their property none the less)
WwqVlr5.jpg

What about if I am away from home and at work? If I look out there and see a guy that is not supposed to be there eyeballing one of my vehicles (about to attempt a theft of it) is it 'ok' to let the girls handle that?

fGhWT1Y.jpg

picture shows about 3/4 of the side of the building that we were at. The things above the bushes are adult Dobermans. (How long they are as compared to the distance)
UCRHwn7.jpg

At one time used to have to pay extra every month to the property management company for a special security company they contracted with to occasionally come 'patrol' our parking lot. Essentially a guy coming by in their marked security vehicle and driving around the lot a few times each day for a few minutes before leaving. Not really my idea of security if it is only present for a total of 1hr out of every day. Useful for taking reports of crimes after the fact but not so useful for deterring or dealing with crimes as they happen. :(

Was really into a project one night and still at the shop working late one sunday night several years back. Between the tools and the stereo volume could not really hear much else. Me, being a dummy - I had apparently forgot to lock the back door that I used to come in with. I look up / hard not to notice - and a pair of Dobergirls are shooting past me on their way towards the back of the shop in full tilt boogie mode towards the guy that just walked in that back door - uninvited.

What are Dobermans 'supposed' to do? Ignore it or go deal with it?

That guy that walked right inside through the unlocked back door was from the parking lot patrol company.

That uninvited guest made it 3 steps before the girls covered that entire distance and were right there up close and personal. :)

Nobody got mauled and the uninvited entry was stopped instantly. They did not have to bite that guy to scare and stop him dead in his tracks. :)

Would it have been 'acceptable' to you if the stray had been (on my property) trying to eat my chickens? Or tear up my flowerbeds?

Serious question and curious.
For this question I would answer No, I would not send my dog or 2 dogs after a stray dog trying to eat my chickens. If the circumstances were right I'd shoot the stray dog. In my state it is legal to shoot a trespassing dog which is threatening or kills your livestock, no questions asked. That being said I fence out the neighbors dogs, the coyotes, the javalinas and anything else that could threaten the dogs, the chickens or us. Obviously you can't do that with what appears to be apartment buildings, but I use to work for a vet and I have seen what comes of dog fights and as @MyBuddy mentioned, "ain't none of it pretty". I feel sure that our 2 dogs could and would kill a coyote - they hate them with a passion - but I would never send them out on one. Same with javelinas. One neighbors dog got attacked by a javelina and it ripped the dogs belly open and took emergency surgery to save that dog. Hell, I've seen a raccoon tear a dog up. So no, I'd personally never send a dog to attack another animal, ever.

That said, if you have highly trained protection dogs for yourself and your property, most people will stop or back off when they are approached by a guard dog. If they do try to fight back they will lose against a trained dog unless they have a gun, then your dog will lose. Nothing to take lightly about personal protection dogs especially if they don't have a trained out command. If your dogs can and will attack a person breaking into your vehicle, hold them at bay while you call 911, then you have some pretty handy dogs. Very few people can train up to that level, not many dogs can reach that level and maintain control as well. If they just run out there barking, you need to hope they aren't crackheads that would freak out and shoot your dogs.

Last time a stray male came around here and refused to leave after a few warnings from me (would have preferred to ignore him and let it slide but for the non stop barking driving me nuts) I finally let the girls run his ass off. Instead of taking the hint he was not welcome he tried to stand his ground (in MY yard). Girls circled his butt real quick - One in the front and one in the back

That uninvited guest made it 3 steps before the girls covered that entire distance and were right there up close and personal. :)

Nobody got mauled and the uninvited entry was stopped instantly. They did not have to bite that guy to scare and stop him dead in his tracks. :)
Well, the good part about these instances of yours is it sounds like your dogs did not go running out there in automatic attack mode. Maybe because both the dog and the man were not on the attack either. They both stood their ground. It seems like with the dog in your yard it was more of, let me stop and assess. And being outnumbered, the other dog gave up quickly.

With your guy coming into your office unannounced, a lot of dogs would go running up to him barking/hair raises. Hopefully again, not going into instant attack/bite mode. I'm sure you don't want that? It's a fine line to have your dog be on guard or to attack.

If there was any stranger that walked into my house my doberman would have gone into a spastic barking I'm sure. I doubt he would have attacked him but usually that's all you need to deter someone is looking ferocious! LOL

But back to your question. I'm more protective of my dog and worry about him being hurt. So no, I would not have sent my dog out after that dog. That's just me. Especially two of them ganging up on the one. It just seems like that's a recipe for disaster. That's why I said it's nice that it went so well for you.

I actually have a neighbor about 4 properties down that has a Great Dane, of all things. 😁One day I looked outside and there she was! I thought there was a horse in my yard lol I just slid the sliding door open with a vengeance and stepped out and yelled and she quickly left. Then I called my neighbor who happened to be looking for her. 🤷‍♀️. She may have been very friendly but as much as I love animals I never encourage neighborhood pets to come over to my property at will.

Suffice to say I'm just protective of my animals and unless it was a absolutely life-threatening thing going on like me being attacked or my grandchildren being attacked I would try and handle it myself. If it was life-threatening, release the beast!

And again, like @Ravenbird I live in the country and shooting at a wild animal that might be doing me/family/pets harm is not out of the question.

I think @Ravenbird post mirrors my thoughts on this too so I won't drag this post on any longer than it is. LOL

"Funny" that I have a neighbor friend that I spoke of above with a Great Dane. And I also have another friend that I ride with who has a Great Dane. This friend also has someone come and take care of the dogs while they vacation. Thank God I've never heard of any problems.

Using my dog would be a last resort. I value my dog more than my husband or kids (just don't tell them I said that!). If I had to, I would shoot before risking my dogs life. Too many things can go wrong when using a dog as a weapon, unless it has been through a high level of protection training. I would not be able to forgive myself if my dog was severely injured, the guilt would be overwhelming for me. Just my thought, I am not judging anyone. Each dog owner has to be able to make their own decisions on how to care for their dogs as long as the dog is not being abused.

For this question I would answer No, I would not send my dog or 2 dogs after a stray dog trying to eat my chickens. If the circumstances were right I'd shoot the stray dog. In my state it is legal to shoot a trespassing dog which is threatening or kills your livestock, no questions asked. That being said I fence out the neighbors dogs, the coyotes, the javalinas and anything else that could threaten the dogs, the chickens or us. Obviously you can't do that with what appears to be apartment buildings,

Not here. You are absolutely not allowed to shoot anything to protect 'property' outside of your actual home.

The chickens are one example. Those are considered simple property and you are not allowed to just shoot a trespassing dog that happens to be messing with them. Not apartments (single family homes) but still inside the city limits so city rules apply.

Same with respect to taking my dogs on a walk. If a random dog was to run up from wherever and attack my dogs while we were out for a walk - Not allowed to shoot that dog for attacking your 'property'. You can't claim 'self defense' here when the thing getting assaulted was your dog (property).

With your guy coming into your office unannounced, a lot of dogs would go running up to him barking/hair raises. Hopefully again, not going into instant attack/bite mode. I'm sure you don't want that? It's a fine line to have your dog be on guard or to attack.

If there was any stranger that walked into my house my doberman would have gone into a spastic barking I'm sure. I doubt he would have attacked him but usually that's all you need to deter someone is looking ferocious! LOL

But back to your question. I'm more protective of my dog and worry about him being hurt. So no, I would not have sent my dog out after that dog. That's just me. Especially two of them ganging up on the one. It just seems like that's a recipe for disaster. That's why I said it's nice that it went so well for you.

Absolutely right on both of those comments. :)

I lose count of how many times Dobermans have deterred crimes that were 'about to happen' for me simply by being present.

Back