Trying to get in contact

MichaelCassock

Hey there, my partner and I have been talking about raising up a doberman of our own. We currently offer Stud services for our cane corso and I've always wanted a doberman though we are thinking of expanding the family. Alot of research has gone into it and we are getting close at putting a deposit down and importing. We are looking for a igp3 alert/family dog, and we're directed to Ukraine and Russia. Now I assume it's gonna be hard to find someone exporting puppies right now (or maybe there is) but if anyone would have any suggestions for feedback. Maybe any info to help point us in the right direction.
Anyways thanks for reading.

Personally, I would look to some breeders in the U.S. - there are several really good breeders here that you can trust and have a relationship with. Not sure what Canada has. Have you looked at UDC (United Doberman Club) website and the list of breeders there? Where in Canada are you? There are some working clubs in the Northeast and the Northwest and Midwest of the U.S. that have dobermans and you may have better luck reaching out to people actually working their dogs. When you say IGP3/alert/family dog - are you looking to work and train the dog in IGP or other bite sports? These dogs are high energy and will need a lot of training, mental & physical. They don't make "normal" :rofl: house pets without good guidance on your part. There is a Breeder Section here with lots of questions about Euro breeders, you can scroll through those. Be aware of scams and poor quality/health problems/oversize/puppy mill types coming from overseas.

@Doberman Gang and @strykerdobe may have comments on this as well.

Welcome from Minnesota!

I agree to check out good breeders here in the US or in Canada.

I've love to see photos of your Cane Corso.

Personally, I would look to some breeders in the U.S. - there are several really good breeders here that you can trust and have a relationship with. Not sure what Canada has. Have you looked at UDC (United Doberman Club) website and the list of breeders there? Where in Canada are you? There are some working clubs in the Northeast and the Northwest and Midwest of the U.S. that have dobermans and you may have better luck reaching out to people actually working their dogs. When you say IGP3/alert/family dog - are you looking to work and train the dog in IGP or other bite sports? These dogs are high energy and will need a lot of training, mental & physical. They don't make "normal" :rofl: house pets without good guidance on your part. There is a Breeder Section here with lots of questions about Euro breeders, you can scroll through those. Be aware of scams and poor quality/health problems/oversize/puppy mill types coming from overseas.

@Doberman Gang and @strykerdobe may have comments on this as well.
So I specifically like the European breeds because they breed back into the bone structure. And I am looking for one with a sire/dame who's done igp 3

So I specifically like the European breeds because they breed back into the bone structure.
As long as it's not those heavy Dobes, yeah. You don't want super fine bone, but you don't want a 120 lb Doberman either. You won't see those heavy overdone Dobermans in IGP3, ever. They are bred to sell to people who want a "look", nothing to do with the medium size working dog that the Doberman actually is. Find a breeder who is actually working and putting the titles on their dogs, not just breeding for churning out puppies. That goes for any country.

There are some photos of Blaze & Arson in this forum - both go back to Euro working lines, but they are medium size dogs with agility and power and speed - You'll see pictures of my dog Asha in training - her dam and both grandfathers are IGP3, she stays about 66 - 69 pounds and her mother was the same size. Heavy means nothing in working dogs except to slow them down.

If you aren't planning to actually train or work your dog in protection then you can just go for the look you prefer. Just double down on health testing no matter where you go.

My best advice is this; shop for pups that you can see in person. Look at the parents’ ability to move beautifully, as well as look beautiful. A correct Doberman is as beautiful as any dancer in movement. Many of those who breed for size lose this, and it is a terrible loss. Never underestimate the strength of these beautiful movers, because they can body slam you off your feet in the blink of an eye. Best advice is find a proven, champion line and a breeder in good standing with your national kennel club and go from there.

As long as it's not those heavy Dobes, yeah. You don't want super fine bone, but you don't want a 120 lb Doberman either. You won't see those heavy overdone Dobermans in IGP3, ever. They are bred to sell to people who want a "look", nothing to do with the medium size working dog that the Doberman actually is. Find a breeder who is actually working and putting the titles on their dogs, not just breeding for churning out puppies. That goes for any country.

There are some photos of Blaze & Arson in this forum - both go back to Euro working lines, but they are medium size dogs with agility and power and speed - You'll see pictures of my dog Asha in training - her dam and both grandfathers are IGP3, she stays about 66 - 69 pounds and her mother was the same size. Heavy means nothing in working dogs except to slow them down.

If you aren't planning to actually train or work your dog in protection then you can just go for the look you prefer. Just double down on health testing no matter where you go.
Do you have pictures of your dog?

Welcome from Minnesota!

I agree to check out good breeders here in the US or in Canada.

I've love to see photos of your Cane Corso.
Okay so I think I may be confused a bit. So I know of dobermans as American and European (not sure how accurate that is) but mainly the American dobe is more slender, smaller boned, and great ability/show dogs. However european ones like from Germany were more consistently used for protection work and still are today.
My dog (reputable) trainer [used to train dogs for some military party in europe] told me that the ones breed to American kennel club standards are not the one I want but instead a pup from an igp3 dog breed in either germany/russia/ or Ukraine.

I think I should elaborate on my intentions. I tend to have a family of big guard dog style dogs. I have a cane corso and always wanted the semi-big Doberman. Not a greyhound, not a great Dane. But a Doberman. I understand breeding back into genetics for the cause of healthy dogs without defects. I definitely intended to purchase a crate dog on the word of my dog trainer. He's trained my cane corso in bite sports and alert training. We intend to have our trainer help us raise up our Doberman and we intend to have him enter our Doberman into igp so we have more to show when we eventually add our Doberman into our Stud service.

Do you mind if I ask why we should check out more local breeders?
It can just be a pain to import them and it's a real crap shoot when there are so many fly by night Euro brokers. I have a few friends who have imported from Liparland in Serbia and that worked out well but she's definitely not a broker.

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_2852.JPG
    IMG_2852.JPG
    995.4 KB · Views: 4
  • fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_295.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 4
  • fullsizeoutput_294.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_294.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4
  • fullsizeoutput_291.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_291.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2944.JPG
    IMG_2944.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 4
  • fullsizeoutput_6bc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6bc.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 4
My dog (reputable) trainer [used to train dogs for some military party in europe] told me that the ones breed to American kennel club standards are not the one I want but instead a pup from an igp3 dog breed in either germany/russia/ or Ukraine.
Well, he's right in his idea, but the actual statement "bred to AKC standards are not what you want", isn't true in context. The Standard of Doberman structure is all true and correct. What you don't have with dogs that only show conformation is the loss of good working ability. So it's true, you can't get a dog from show lines and expect it to work under pressure. Especially if you have 4 or 5 generations with no bite sports titles. But the AKC Standards to conformation should still be held up. A medium size (not large) dog not over 28" for males etc. etc.

I should have tagged @Cferg in this thread, I think he has a Benchmark bred dog. And @Doberman Gang's IGP3 dog is from Masaya. The dog that @strykerdobe just titled IGP2 I believe he bred at home, can't remember the bloodlines.

And yes they are from European lines. You might do well looking into Euro breeders, especially if your trainer knows who to go to. I was afraid you were looking for the oversize, overdone, heavy-headed Dobermans that have become a fad to import, touted for size and "champion" lines. If you buy into promises of 30" tall 120 pound Dobermans, I doubt the dog will do protection sports.

He has a strong influence of South American with a splash of European. I wouldn't consider him slender or smaller boned at all
I agree, the South American is the perfect balance between the delicate American and thicker Euro.

I wouldn't consider him slender or smaller boned at all :/
I think too many see win pictures of young immature males and unfairly judge NA dobes as a whole from this. Or compare NA dobes to euro hypertypes which won't be fit to do the job either. The doberman is not supposed to be large.

but mainly the American dobe is more slender, smaller boned, and great ability/show dogs.
Strongly disagree!! Huge myth put out there by the misinformed and naive, especially euro salesmen and BYBs. This is the regional best of breed winner at the DPCA National this year. This is the doberman according to the standard. I would NOT call him slender or small boned. Euro hypertypes are ruining the breed and would not be able to do their job properly without wearing down quickly. Big is not better.

FB_IMG_1696740424113.jpg

Strongly disagree!! Huge myth put out there by the misinformed and naive, especially euro salesmen and BYBs. This is the regional best of breed winner at the DPCA National this year. This is the doberman according to the standard. I would NOT call him slender or small boned. Euro hypertypes are ruining the breed and would not be able to do their job properly without wearing down quickly. Big is not better.

View attachment 138924
But this also said by an America with an American bred dog. I don't see many euro breeders saying otherwise. That's also the regional best, not the average American dobe. Personally met with some American/Canadian bloodline breeders and was disappointed this last weekend by how much smaller he looked. Very skinny muzzle.

Well, he's right in his idea, but the actual statement "bred to AKC standards are not what you want", isn't true in context. The Standard of Doberman structure is all true and correct. What you don't have with dogs that only show conformation is the loss of good working ability. So it's true, you can't get a dog from show lines and expect it to work under pressure. Especially if you have 4 or 5 generations with no bite sports titles. But the AKC Standards to conformation should still be held up. A medium size (not large) dog not over 28" for males etc. etc.

I should have tagged @Cferg in this thread, I think he has a Benchmark bred dog. And @Doberman Gang's IGP3 dog is from Masaya. The dog that @strykerdobe just titled IGP2 I believe he bred at home, can't remember the bloodlines.

And yes they are from European lines. You might do well looking into Euro breeders, especially if your trainer knows who to go to. I was afraid you were looking for the oversize, overdone, heavy-headed Dobermans that have become a fad to import, touted for size and "champion" lines. If you buy into promises of 30" tall 120 pound Dobermans, I doubt the dog will do protection sports.
Screenshot_20231008_134154_Chrome.jpg
So this specifically isn't what I'm going for. No jaw, pointed nose, slender, thin legs etc

View attachment 138948
So this specifically isn't what I'm going for. No jaw, pointed nose, slender, thin legs etc
What you’re describing in terms of the head would be faulty for AKC and FCI standards (they are nearly the same). This is from the DPCA illustrated standard “the muzzle is strong and powerful with a fully developed underjaw”.

The photo is of my 9 month old American male. His top skull could probably be a little flatter, but he is not snipey at all. 315A7F48-E1AA-4F81-A838-C7C39550D87D.jpeg

Back