1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Trying to do right by Moon

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by CalamitysHuckleberry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. CalamitysHuckleberry

CalamitysHuckleberry Notable member

Several months ago I assisted in a private rescue of a albino female. At the time she was 9 months old and was advertised on another forum for sale and intact. I spent hours and hours on the phone with the seller and not only got her to turn the pup over but also obtained proof of the then owner admitting to beating this pup on a regular basis.
    This pup was neglected and beaten with whips, seatbelts, brooms and leashes because she "chased the horses and wouldn't come home from running the farm". I had to pretend that it was normal behavior for these albinos to act that way just so she would surrender her. She even admitted that she never showed this pup any affection because she was just "too damn ugly to love". She only got her because she had a white hair blue eyed horse and thought it would be cool to have a dog that matched.

Once we did research on this pups lineage I discovered that her Grand-Sire was my Calamity's sire. This pup was also in my home state of KY, so I felt an even more connection with it. At the time we couldn't find a rescue that would take the pup and the shelters were high kill shelters.
    So I found a "another board" member to take the pup. At the time i was having behavioral issues with my two and Calamity was not yet two and Huck was only 10 months. She has been living in VA ever since.An agreement was made that if it didn't work out EVER to let me know and I would be responsible for her.

Well I was informed that it isn't working out. Her new owner couldn't afford her anymore and would be losing her place to live soon and wouldn't be able to afford other housing with two Dobermans.

My SO and I will be bringing this pup to MN to foster and who knows, maybe keep. It's even possible that I may be flying there this weekend to scoop her up and drive back. A very long drawn out 20 hour drive that might take me three days to do.

So wish us luck and I will keep posting!

P.S. Her name is Moon!

• Like Like x 18
  2. agift4me

agift4me Hot Topics Subscriber

:blush:Awe, what a sad story for this poor DoberGirl. She was purchased for all the wrong reasons and therefore abused and neglected,...
    I'm relieved you are going to get her from her adopter who now no longer can be the "forever home" for her :(:(
    I wish you the best of luck and a safe trip. Please provide an update?

• Like Like x 6
  3. watson123

watson123 Active Member

That is terrible how cruel the owner was to beat her and not even give her any attention because "to ugly to love" how could someone be like that to loving animal, if I was moon I wouldn't want to come to that person either.
    Keep us updated!

• Like Like x 5
  4. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

What an awful story but hopefully a happy ending. Please travel carefully and update us as you can.

• Like Like x 7
  5. dh8

dh8 Hot Topics Subscriber

Thank you for working so hard to give this girl a better life. I will never understand how people can be cruel to animals or take on in (buy or adopt), then dump them while blaming the animal for their inability or refusal to properly train, exercise and care for them. Pets are family members for life in my book.

Please update with pics!

• Like Like x 7
  6. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Best of luck with Moon. The poor girl has been through a lot :( How long has she been in the second home?

• Like Like x 5
  7. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Too ugly to love?? And yet they got her because she 'matched' her horse??? :facepalm: I don't even know what to say to something so stupid!:cus:
    I pray that everything works out for you on your trip. Thank God she will be in safe hands soon.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Bless you a million times over for all the love you have given to Moon. You have a huge heart. Thank you for your dedication to those who don't have a voice.

Best of luck with your travel. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted with updates and of course with pictures.

Ugh, people are so aggrivating! At least this owner is willing to be responsible with her, trying to rehome. I hope she's doing the same for her other two. I don't understand how people can rehome anyway. Dogs are family members first and foremost!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Tasha & Boris' Mom Hot Topics Subscriber

I have made that drive many many times from Hibbing to Ft.Campbell. It isn't as long as it looks :) I do it in one day. With the dog it would probably be better to take two. Sorry she has been through so much. Drive safely

• Like Like x 4
  10. CalamitysHuckleberry

Thanks y'all for the support. I couldn't get on the flight tonight, it filled up. I'm using a buddy pass from my nephew to help offset some of the cost this is becoming. So I will be going on Thursday now because my SO will be off work to watch the CalamaBerrys (we are having our house painted so we don't want the sometimes reactive Calamity left home alone while this is happening).

I do have pictures of her as a pup. Then I will get more when I get her.

These were from her first owner when she was a novelty and "rare". image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  11. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

She was so cute! I hope she's not too traumatized by the whippings she received :( Looking forward to current pictures. Have a safe trip!

• Like Like x 2
  12. swillia2

swillia2 Hot Topics Subscriber

What a terrible story and an awful and wicked person to do this:cus: I would like to unleash a pack of rabid dogs on her ! Bless you for trying to do your best and I hope moon gets a home and the love she deserves :goodluck: please keep us all updated with moon .

• Like Like x 4
  13. watson123

watson123 Active Member

she is a pretty girl! i can't wait for you to get her and give her the life that she deserves.
    thanks for sharing the pics i can't wait to see more recent ones of her!

• Like Like x 3
  14. CalamitysHuckleberry

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg :sigh: I have some great friends that are working on getting her closer to me so I don't have to drive all the way.

We have her all the way to Pittsburg.
    We then have her a ride from Chicago to WI. Now we have to find her a ride from Pitt to Chicago on Thursday-Friday.

Keep us in your thoughts.

Worse comes to worse I can maybe fly to Pitt and drive her back via rental

She is a thin girl, will need some groceries. I will be asking for some fattening recipes, including satin balls.

• Like Like x 9
  15. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

So thin. :( But in good hands now with some great friends! Good luck !!!

• Like Like x 3
  16. CalamitysHuckleberry

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  17. watson123

watson123 Active Member

she's so skinny:(, i hope you find a ride for her!
    Thank you for doing this for this poor beautiful girl!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rach

Rach Hot Topics Subscriber

Awe bless......

• Like Like x 1
  19. CalamitysHuckleberry

No biggie, if no ride then I can fly to Pitt. Just trying to cut down on some of the travel time for me because I have some health issues and I'm not suppose to travel long distances. The Doberman community is really pulling it together to help with this girl. It's amazing!

Driving from Pittsburg is way cheaper and closer than from VA.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BradysMom

BradysMom Hot Topics Subscriber

poor sweet girl!! shes such a cutie too!! what a terrible person to beat her and not show her affection :mad:Hopefully she will be in your care soon! good luck with the drive and/or transportation of Moon. wish i could help!

• Like Like x 2