1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Tropical disease not just found in tropics linked to heart issues...

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by WiglWerm, Nov 8, 2018.

1. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Triatomine bugs are spreading to a lot of states, FL included. Supposedly over 200,000 cases have been identified in FL. They will bite around the mouth and eyes at night leaving the feces infected with the parasites that cause Chagas. I equate them to bed bugs except bigger and unlike bed bugs they are dangerous.

I spoke with our exterminator about them a while back and he said there has not been a pesticide made that has been approved to eliminate them. He just said to be sure to caulk around doors and windows and keep screens on your doors and windows. They are visible since they are about the size of a penny or nickel and adults can be larger. Obviously they are nocturnal.

It’s really hard to correctly identify one without seeking out a professional.
    Still it’s a scary bug!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

FD5EB11B-D268-4C91-AC59-C3491BDFE453.jpeg This is a subspecies of the kissing bug. He is biting the paper towel. I just put him in alcohol so we can look at him under the microscope and I will get an up close and personal picture of it when we do.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yikes!

I wonder if dogs have been misdiagnosed with DCM when in actual fact, it’s Chagas disease? Enlarged hearts, shortness of breath....makes you wonder.

:eek:

Is this why they call them the “Kissing bug?” - Kiss of death more like.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1