• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Treats

zaneullrich

Novitiate
I'm looking for some advice on treats - both for training and general use.
We spent a bit of time looking into various foods and found a lot of opinions on various brands and food types but with treats there's not so much information.

For training we're using SavourLife. They're a bar like treat that can be easily ripped into small chunks to reward so they're easy to hold and use during training and when out and about. We tried others but some of the cheaper ones had a plastic texture and our dog didn't have the enthusiasm to continue training to be rewarded. With the SavourLife ones he goes wild for them.

For general treats (a snack etc) - we found Vetalogica pellet chews. Same logic as the SavourLife ones.

For chewing we've been picking up some kangaroo tails from Kmart.

Basically, after trying a few different brands and landing on the above, we've realised that its definitely worth spending a little more to get some better quality ingredients in there, although I'm sure there's also some not so good stuff in there too.

I've tasted all of these myself and there is a noticeable difference in flavour and texture between them and the other stuff we've bought in the past.

Anyone got any other recommendations that don't break the bank but are decent quality? We'd like to rotate treats to keep the enthusiasm, especially for training.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I found Nudges treats and Full Moon Organics treats at Walmart. Pretty good ingredients. They are big pieces but I tear/cut them to a smaller size for my treat pouch and so the last longer. My dog is food crazy, will work for kibble even, so I use that mixed with the treats for Big Prize rewards when I want to pour it on but keep it halfway balanced. Since she's slowed down in growth I'm now having to cut back meal rations.

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Tiny bits of hotdogs are popular with some trainers. I used some dried liver treats, cheese, and Whole Hearted salmon jerky cut into bits. Mix all these in a bag to make it interesting.

But go easy on the dried liver, too much organ meat can cause loose stool.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
FYI: this person has been cleaned by the spam cleaner for a second incident of posting very clearly spam about vacuum sealers. So they no longer can see this thread. Kind of strange they are asking for treat advice... :scratch:

Gelcoater

Expert ThreadCrapper
$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
FYI: this person has been cleaned by the spam cleaner for a second incident of posting very clearly spam about vacuum sealers. So they no longer can see this thread. Kind of strange they are asking for treat advice... :scratch:
PM sent. :bag::groan:

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
So strange. I always thought most spams were bots.
Typically! But some spam is done by actual people and they'll do anything to get their spam in, including looking normal. The spam cleaner gives them the option to email us back. If it was a false positive, they will email back to stay. However, that was their second post with word for word the same post and the same pics of vacuum sealers. We received a number of reports on both.:scratch:I can see why, the posts came across as very spammy. First post was removed with a warning. I just checked the suggested treats too and both are from Australia. Their IP also does not point to Texas but instead in a country in Asia. That alone isn't suspicious but everything together doesn't add up.

Screenshot_20200724-214330.png

Jan hit the button :D just thought I'd let y'all know in case you wanted to continue talking about treats or not. :bag: The info given was good! So I'm leaving the thread lol

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
LOL. The interwebs get stranger every day. Perhaps an honest to goodness dog owner selling vacuum sealers, came back for dog advice. LOL. Thanks for the heads-up though.

R

Rosa

I found Nudges treats and Full Moon Organics treats at Walmart. Pretty good ingredients. They are big pieces but I tear/cut them to a smaller size for my treat pouch and so the last longer. My dog is food crazy, will work for kibble even, so I use that mixed with the treats for Big Prize rewards when I want to pour it on but keep it halfway balanced. Since she's slowed down in growth I'm now having to cut back meal rations.
I wish Shylah were that food crazy...she doesn't even like the treats we make that our other dogs will kill for.

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
I have some questions about the bones and other treats. The frozen marrow bones are ok to give right? Is it ok to give them to him frozen or should they be thawed out? Ive been giving them frozen but wanted to make sure it was ok. I bought some frozen turkey necks or leg (first time) the other day. I had to let them thaw a little to break them apart, they came in a package of 3. Anyway I gave Skynyrd one and he took it outside to chew. I went out to check on him and he was swallowing funny and looked like he was choking. I opened his mouth and pulled out the whole, slimy leg from his throat! He tried to swallow the whole thing down! No more turkey neck/leg. Also, how often do yall give the bones to your dogs? Is it bad to give them a few days a week?

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
@Skb - First of all, I'm assuming these are RAW bones. Some dogs will not crunch up those bones. Were they legs or necks? BIG difference in digestibility. A turkey leg swallowed whole is dangerous any way you look at it. Neck bones are very slim & fine and would "probably" get broken down, once in the stomach, but still could choke or obstruct if swallowed whole. If you are feeding a raw diet and need that 10% bone for balance, take them outside on a tree stump or a slab of concrete and take a hammer to those bones before you feed them. I do this every now and then, but not often. I use a dedicated chopping board placed on a tree stump and hammer the bones flat, (the meat keeps it all together) then cut up the meat pieces with bone in them with poultry shears into bite size pieces and put them on a tray in the freezer, then bag them up. I found for calcium in the raw food meal the easiest thing is raw chicken feet. Small bone, loaded with glucosamine and she loves them. For chewing & long lasting pleasure I give her a beef rib. It's terribly expensive and the prices keep going up, but I get about 8 ribs for $20 - $24, cut them apart, freeze them and she gets one or two a week. Still cheaper than a $10 bully stick & lasts longer. She'll get the meat off in no time, but will gnaw on the bone for days and she has never tried to swallow one. Marrow bones are cows legs and I read that any bone that is weight supporting (like a leg on a cow) is much more hard and dense and can break teeth. Hope this helps.

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
@Skb - First of all, I'm assuming these are RAW bones. Some dogs will not crunch up those bones. Were they legs or necks? BIG difference in digestibility. A turkey leg swallowed whole is dangerous any way you look at it. Neck bones are very slim & fine and would "probably" get broken down, once in the stomach, but still could choke or obstruct if swallowed whole. If you are feeding a raw diet and need that 10% bone for balance, take them outside on a tree stump or a slab of concrete and take a hammer to those bones before you feed them. I do this every now and then, but not often. I use a dedicated chopping board placed on a tree stump and hammer the bones flat, (the meat keeps it all together) then cut up the meat pieces with bone in them with poultry shears into bite size pieces and put them on a tray in the freezer, then bag them up. I found for calcium in the raw food meal the easiest thing is raw chicken feet. Small bone, loaded with glucosamine and she loves them. For chewing & long lasting pleasure I give her a beef rib. It's terribly expensive and the prices keep going up, but I get about 8 ribs for $20 - $24, cut them apart, freeze them and she gets one or two a week. Still cheaper than a $10 bully stick & lasts longer. She'll get the meat off in no time, but will gnaw on the bone for days and she has never tried to swallow one. Marrow bones are cows legs and I read that any bone that is weight supporting (like a leg on a cow) is much more hard and dense and can break teeth. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much. Im going to try the beef ribs like you suggested. I was just looking for something that would last a little longer then 10 minutes and be good for him. The bones were the frozen raw marrow bones. They last a while but I wanted to make sure they were ok for him. This is what it looks like. 16339856027123131671597122296381.jpg

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
I forgot to add; he's not on a raw diet. Just giving them for a treat during the day after we run. He acts like he is always starving

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
So do I give him the beef rib frozen?
I give mine frozen in the summer, but I don't think she'd appreciate it so much in the winter. She can only have them outside.

Also with the marrow bones there is this drawback - if you search images on the internet of marrow bones stuck on dogs jaw there are lots of photos like this. They just scare the bejesus out of me!

1633986591711.jpeg

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
I give mine frozen in the summer, but I don't think she'd appreciate it so much in the winter. She can only have them outside.

Also with the marrow bones there is this drawback - if you search images on the internet of marrow bones stuck on dogs jaw there are lots of photos like this. They just scare the bejesus out of me!

View attachment 121938
OMG! Thats just what I need! Lol.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Where do I buy them?
any grocery store, usually. Walmart never has them anymore, just pork ribs here in my little town. Pork ribs are way fattier, and of course smaller so they don't last for gnawing. They will come in a slab and you have to cut them apart.