Treats and chews

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
I tried to find a thread on this but couldnt find exactly what I am wanting to know....

What do you all give for treats and how much during the day? Skynyrd is ALWAYS wanting treats. He constantly brings me his kongs/ toys/ anything that can be filled with treats. He does this all day long. I usually give him a bully stick everyday plus other treats but I do not want him to gain weight. He is good now but I try to watch it. I tried giving him a carrot instead of a bone today. NOPE! He took it outside and left it on his bed. I just wanted to know what you all do and maybe a list of healthy things I can give him.

If you feed kibble, take a portion of his breakfast/dinner and use it for treats. If you need high value treats for training, you can roll the kibble around with a bit of ground beef giving it a much higher smell. Overall more nutritional than treats, if you feed a decent kibble.

Step one, remove all toys. Toys are treats. Like raven said, the dogs treat is kibble. Make em work for every bit of kibble. If you don’t set expectations so high you won’t have to cook steaks for your dog.

The treats that you are giving are intended to be a ‘treat’. Make him work for everything. If you are giving them regularly, they are more of a regular business and he will not act as if he’s receiving a treat. He will feel entitled to the food and will come to expect it.
As already mentioned use kibble as treats for working, if kibble fed.

I tried to find a thread on this but couldnt find exactly what I am wanting to know....

What do you all give for treats and how much during the day? Skynyrd is ALWAYS wanting treats. He constantly brings me his kongs/ toys/ anything that can be filled with treats. He does this all day long. I usually give him a bully stick everyday plus other treats but I do not want him to gain weight. He is good now but I try to watch it. I tried giving him a carrot instead of a bone today. NOPE! He took it outside and left it on his bed. I just wanted to know what you all do and maybe a list of healthy things I can give him.
We only give food at mealtimes or training sessions. When they are puppies we Just use kibble for treats, actually mealtime is usually training time. I use Happy Howies dog food rolls, cut up, for treats in training when they are older. We give hard bones or toys to chew on when in the house. Mine also get balls and tugs for training So they are not allowed in the house only when we train.

This makes sense. I have made it so that he definitely has come to expect it. It has become normal for him. I also like the idea of taking the toys away.. i never thought of that; I should have! Lol. When I do training I will stick with his kibble for reward. He loves all food so it should work. Thank you.

We only give food at mealtimes or training sessions. When they are puppies we Just use kibble for treats, actually mealtime is usually training time. I use Happy Howies dog food rolls, cut up, for treats in training when they are older. We give hard bones or toys to chew on when in the house. Mine also get balls and tugs for training So they are not allowed in the house only when we train.
What kind of hard bones do you give? Are bully sticks ok?

Back