1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Treating snake and other venomous bites

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Brioddy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I -love- a good thunderstorm! The more wind, lightning, rain and thunder the better! As long as I don’t lose power for days, have a tree fall on my house, or get hit by lightning I’m good to go :D

I have blackberries growing EVERYWHERE in the brush in my side yard, definitely gonna make some pies.
    9A6A0F40-66A7-48F2-A65C-63FBE3B5693E.jpeg

Sweet boy
    5DC54476-DCFC-44D2-966C-A6321AF1A77C.jpeg

Brinks and Cookie giving each other the side eye lol
    C9C2BE99-3D64-4772-8552-75E11FBC5A38.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Watch out for the timber rattlers. They love the blackberry briar bushes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  3. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I’ve only seen one, it was on my road and someone had ran it over but just the head. I brought it back to the house and my boyfriend made a skin out of it which is hanging in the “man cave” lol. A beautiful snake and at four feet a big one. Being used to easterns in Florida four feet didn’t seem too big, but come to find out that’s about as big as they get. My neighbors across the street have lived here for ten years and they always had a problem with copperheads - til they got a flock of ducks. Then they never hardly saw a snake again! Just from watching mine they really do eat anything and everything that can fit in their bills. I do definitely am vigilant about keeping a careful eye, it is definitely the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Yikes! Are there anti-venoms for all the types around you? My cousins wife's dog got bit by something in FL (of course) and she had to go through several rounds of the anti-venom stuff to get through it. $$$$$$ but she's fine, luckily.

• Wow x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

We carry antivenin but the pet has to be hospitalized, given IV fluids other stabilizing medications and are usually hospitalized for a minimum of 3 days.
    So far the snake bites have been from the Pygmy rattlers, not the Eastern Diamondbacks and we have treated 4 dogs for snake bites since the hurricane.

The Africanized bees are almost worse. We had a mixed breed, bully / boxer that got into a ground nest of them and he almost died. He was stung over 30 times on his face and chest and Doc wasn’t sure he could save him. We had to place a breathing tube, IV, loaded him with medications and it took over 10 days for the facial swelling to diminish. This was an extremely hyper dog that had an energy level beyond my twins combined. It broke my heart to see him so lethargic and close to death. He is 8yrs old so it hit him hard. His face was the size of a soccer ball. I stayed at the clinic with him for 4 nights. That’s how bad he was. Happy to report though that he is back to normal as he always boards with us for a week every two months. He used to be an incessant barker before the incident, now he has tapered off on the barking. The incident has changed his personality in noticeable ways.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
    • Wow x 1
  6. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I imagine there are antivenins but I do know there is a vaccine available that supposedly diminishes the effects if your dog is actually bitten. I don’t know all the details about it but the lady at the vets (this was when I initially took Rio in to the ER when he was sick) said it allows you more time to get your dog to the vet.

7. Tropicalbri's

The Rattlesnake vaccines is developed specifically for the Western Diamondback and may help with Copperheads but it doesn’t help with other venomous snakes like the Coral, Eastern Diamondbacks, Water Moccasins, Pygmy Rattlers or Mojave Rattlesnakes.

Like any of the vaccines it carries risks in certain dogs like those with autoimmune disease, compromised immune systems and other health issues. The vaccine basically works to dilute the venom and gives you more time to get to the ER Vet.

Dogs are at a higher risk of dying from a bite than humans so it’s important to follow guidelines if bitten and seek help immediately.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Tropicalbri's

@Rits @JanS as usual I got us off topic again.:bag:
    :imsorry::threadjacked:
    Maybe we should move this topic to it’s own thread.
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1