Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Transitioning from posting question

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Mearntain, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Mearntain

Mearntain Jr Member

Schatzi is about 6.5 months old now, and I'm pretty sure I'm almost done posting. The purpose of this post isnt to ask if you think I should stop posting, but more of a functionality question.

As can be seen in the pictures, her ears stand perfect 99% of the time, but in that rare 1% of the time, she forcibly holds her ears in too far, with tips nearly touching. They are not falling inwards nor folding inwards, but she very clearly is holding them that way. It only occurs in the moments of intense concentration and excitement, such as when I kick a soccer ball for her to chase or when she shes a chicken she wants to go chase after. Any other time, they stand like they should.

Is it normal when transitioning from posting, that the pup holds their ears inwards too far on rare occassions? My reasoning in my head is that they get used to holding the "heavy" posts for so many months, that when they're gone, they occasionally overuse the muscle to try to overcompensate - hopefully that makes sense how I worded it, but I may be wrong. A baseball player swinging his bat with a weight on it before swinging at the ball to warm up is sorta the same concept I'm getting at?

Is this normal behavior when first starting to stop posting in the moments of shear excitement like running full speed towards a ball, etc?

20190819_152228.jpg 20190818_074224.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

They look great and it's perfectly normal for them to have many different stances that change with their emotions. Nice work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

They look fine to me as well. My dogs will even lay them back flat when they are running fast so yes many different positions depending on what they are doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mearntain

Mearntain Jr Member

Thanks to both of you, I'm hoping the posting is finished now! They had been down for 6 days when those last pictures were taken. Took them down tonight again for the hurricane approaching so I didnt have to worry about them getting wet.

Mine does the laying back of the ears, further out to the side, twisting, and all the other usual ones. Just wanted to make sure that the tips occassionaly touching in those rare moments wasnt anything to be concerned about. I may be wrong, but I felt as if continued posting wouldnt have any impact on preventing that, and maybe it will go away once she fully grows into her head and it widens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doberman Gang

I didn’t see wear they touch in any of your pictures. If it is just floppy tips curling over the top I would just use breath right strips for a few weeks until the tips firm up more.

6. Mearntain

Mearntain Jr Member

The tips dont flop or curl over, they always stand as can be seen in the pics, even after the longest down period of 6 days. The only "flopping/wiggling" occurs while in full stride, but to my understanding, that is normal and the tips will continue to harden until around 2 yrs old. The tips never droop or anything, if that's what you meant, they only wiggle while running.

Getting a picture of what I described originally would be tough because those moments are few and far between. Basically when super excited chasing after a ball or chicken, her ears almost go /\. But once she gets to the ball, they go back to normal. It's almost as if shes overstraining those muscles in an attempt to keep her ears from wiggling while running (or atleast that's my best guess)

7. Doberman Gang

I wouldn’t worry about it then if they aren’t curling.

8. Mearntain

Mearntain Jr Member

Sounds great, thanks for the input. As much as I'm ready to be done posting, I'm sure she is too!