• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Training Question

Cranekc35

My dobie has been fantastic at learning new tricks when associated with treats. I went to try and lure him to go around me with a treat and he wouldn't do it. It seemed like he freaked out and wouldn't come near me after that. So, I tried a small object to have him go around that first. Same reaction. He then ran from me to the door to go inside. So, I then decided to try a higher value treat (hot dogs). Same reaction. Is there a better way to teach this to him and should I wait a few days before I try again? I was really surprised at the way he reacted because he's always so eager to do ANYTHING for a treat! LOL I'm completed puzzled by this.

How old is your dog? Is he off leash during training? He shouldn’t be able to run from you or to the door. Sounds like he is just testing you

How old is your dog? Is he off leash during training? He shouldn’t be able to run from you or to the door. Sounds like he is just testing you
He's 10 months. Yes, he was off leash. I'll try again this evening with leash. He's been great training off leash in the past, but I guess you are right - he's testing me. Makes sense.

I agree that he needs to go on the leash so he can't get by with it. They usually start testing you at around 7 months so he's probably still working on it.

He's 10 months. Yes, he was off leash. I'll try again this evening with leash. He's been great training off leash in the past, but I guess you are right - he's testing me. Makes sense.
Let us know how things go, they definitely need a balance in training. Fair corrections followed by rewards will strengthen your training. Dogs need structure and a clear picture of what you are asking. Always make it fun, add spins and chasing games during training will help keep your dog engaged with you.

I'll try again this evening with leash. He's been great training off leash in the past,
Wondering how it went last night... Also my thought, it does seem weird that he seemed freaked out, not really a description of trying to test you, especially if you had food and he's usually food motivated. :scratch:

I would go back to simple tricks or basics like sit or down that he already knows, treat heavily with a very high value reward - then go play with a favorite interaction toy like a tug. Like what's indicated above, make lessons tons of fun and always end with a big party for him. If something is hard or confusing, back up to something he can succeed at and reward that before quitting the session so it always ends on a good note.

Also curious how he is today. He definitely sounds like he was freaked out by something and not in the right state of mind when he is refusing treats. Has he behaved this way with anything else? Have you tried asking him to do it in a different room or environment? Any vision issues?

Is it possible that he has a sudden pain that grabs him when he turns around you? If he had a sudden pain he would be confused as it would seem as if he had been punished for something. Just wondering because Jazz became weird about diving through a tunnel and I found out later that the slight crouch to go through was causing her pain from a strained muscle.

Wondering how it went last night... Also my thought, it does seem weird that he seemed freaked out, not really a description of trying to test you, especially if you had food and he's usually food motivated. :scratch:

I would go back to simple tricks or basics like sit or down that he already knows, treat heavily with a very high value reward - then go play with a favorite interaction toy like a tug. Like what's indicated above, make lessons tons of fun and always end with a big party for him. If something is hard or confusing, back up to something he can succeed at and reward that before quitting the session so it always ends on a good note.
It went really great! I added the long lead and he is doing around me and middle now! He resisted at first, but with a little leading with leash he did great!

Back