Training question

luckybeemer

Notable member
So, I have been working with my 18 week pup since she was 10 weeks under the fantastic guidance of Lindsey Keendog training in Fort Mill/Charlotte, NC. However, my husband has expressed that he does not like that the puppy still nips at my butt at times, and when I sternly say no with hands on hips she jumps up at me barking. She doesn't do this with him at all. Maybe because I interact with her more as she is my dog and he did not want any pets. I feel like she is trying to exert dominance and like a toddler or teenager she is talking back to me. I can see improvements, but I guess all he sees/hears is that she does this to me and not him. Any advice greatly appreciated

She is displaying her puppy antics. It’s not uncommon at all and seems to be part and parcel with this breed. I would imagine she doesn’t do this to your husband not because he is alpha, rather that he is ambivalent towards her and doesn’t choose to engage her with daily feeding, training and interaction. She can pick up on his body language.

I would leash her up and attach her leash to your waist and she will take every step you take whether she wants to or not. Doing this curbs her desire to bite and jump as she has to think about where you are going next. Redirecting her biting to a toy with a correction when she nips will work but it has to be consistent. She will get through this then the hammer falls when she gets into her doberteens. That is a very trying time as they will challenge you on everything and it’s also the age that many dobes are rehomed because owners do not know how to handle that phase. Educate yourself on what to expect with the different growth phases and how to train through it by reading the threads in the puppy forum. There are a lot of experienced owners here on the forum.
Two years from now when your girl is happy, settled and trained your husband will be proud of her and her accomplishments and may even lay claim to her success, unless he is totally a non animal person.
Keep training and working with her. It will get better and females mature faster than males and are usually more eager to please.

The nipping stage can be a testing time but it's so important to have patience but most importantly be persistent. Some pups just take longer to pick up the hint that it's unacceptable to nip/bite human skin.

With some pups, the best method is to grab the scruff of the neck and give a little shake followed by an instant redirect to a toy or tug. Her mother would of corrected her for unwanted behaviour so you’re just carrying this through.
I would add, never turn your back to her or ‘yelp’ - these are signs of weakness, you need to show her that you are a strong confident leader.
Leashing her to you is a great idea, too. You can give her an instant correction and redirect her to a chew toy/tug.
She needs to know you mean business. You must be firm and consistent!!

Mental stimulation is an absolute godsend with young pups. Add some ‘brain games’ into her daily routine. By stimulating her mentally it’ll burn off some of that pent up energy!

Thank you for the wisdom and encouragement. Yes, I am trying really hard. He does interact with her, but not on the level that I do except when I have to work. Even then it's usually just letting her out of the crate during his lunch hour And when he returns home after work. It is hard to stay consistent between my work schedule (or lack of rather), camping trips, and trips to the vet and trainer. I do redirect her but I dont always have a toy within reach. Seriously I think I need to keep my training trest pouch and a toy on me at all times. Going to give it another go with the leash attached to me starting now. Thank you tremendously

Yes I have added to tug on her neck scruff. Usually for lunch and dinner she has to work for her meal using this type of feeder. Researching brain games now. Thank you all.

Attachments

• 20190928_110231.jpg
    20190928_110231.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 7
When mine were all young I constantly made sure I wore trousers with deep pockets to keep my redirection toy within easy reach.

Velcro is a wonderful invention except when relating to dobermans.:spit:

I have sewn a 2” square of the grip side of Velcro to a piece of canvas material.
I pin it to my shirt and stick the balls or tugs to the Velcro. I have instant access to a toy wherever I go with them. Their attention is on me and the toy. When they behave as we walk and train they are rewarded with the toy.
There are times though that I look like a walking toy store because I will have 3-4 toys attached to the front of my shirt along with a treat bag. It keeps your hands free for the leash and other things you may need to do when training or walking.

Last edited:
When mine were all young I constantly made sure I wore trousers with deep pockets to keep my redirection toy within easy reach.
My hospital scrubs are perfect because they have so many pockets that are deep and some less so on the tops and bottoms. I can carry a lot of dog paraphernalia in those pockets. Lol

My hospital scrubs are perfect because they have so many pockets that are deep and some less so on the tops and bottoms. I can carry a lot of dog paraphernalia in those pockets. Lol
Lol, it’s so true! Pockets, treats, toys, leashes...

I got a similar feeder for Kaiser when he was small, he figured it out pretty quick and eventually chose to pick it up and throw it around haha. Now I use it as a mental stimulation toy for the cat lol.

695864D3-DAE2-40BE-94AE-93532B48994C.jpeg

Lol, it’s so true! Pockets, treats, toys, leashes...

I got a similar feeder for Kaiser when he was small, he figured it out pretty quick and eventually chose to pick it up and throw it around haha. Now I use it as a mental stimulation toy for the cat lol.

View attachment 100694
What is it with males wanting to brute force and not finesse the treats out. Bogie is the same...chew it up, toss it down the stairs, pounce on it but Bacall will sniff and open. She manages to get all her treats in record time while Bogie throws tantrums and the puzzle around for 20 minutes till it’s broken and the treats fall out soggy from his mouthing the toy with saliva. :facepalm:

Back