• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Training Progress

Cferg

Hi guys,
My pup is the first dog I’m trying to formally train. I had a blue heeler for 15 years that was well behaved. But became that way kind of organically from going to work with me everyday for 8 years. So my dobe is 8 months old now and we’ve been working on engagement and the basics since she was 12 weeks. I’m going to post 2 videos of us.
One with kibble and one without. My question is basically if I keep this up for another year or so with the same amount of training. Where do you think we will be? Kind looking for a progress report on what you would expect from a dog her age. As far as our level of engagement. And any input or advice. Would be appreciated

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Awesome job both with and without kibble.
level of engagement is there, you can tell she is looking to you for direction.

Keep challenging her with different things and train in different environments- WalMart parking lot, parks, outside of a fenced dog park, etc....increase the distractions as time goes.

I like to go to the high school football stadium during football, baseball or track practice. Tons of noise and visual distractions there with a much different physical environment- aluminum bleachers, stairs, sand, etc.....long stay up in bleachers while I walk away, then control skipping from bleacher to bleacher builds great confidence and character.

Also, seems she learns quickly....teach her how to back up with you. As you step backwards, she steps backwards with you.

Anyways, I think great job and keep it up. They thrive on this stuff.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Looking good!! One little tip, try feeding from the left hand instead and at heel position. So keep your hand in line with the seam of your pants at your hip and feed straight down. This teaches the dog that heel position is where they want to be for reward and not cross over in front of you like she is doing to meet your right hand. Otherwise you might get her crabbing when you start heeling with her rear end out away from you.

The other tip I have is when you do no kibble, you can do a few short repetitions then release and rush over together to the treat spot located somewhere away but nearby. This will help you guys wean off treats but still have that energy you are getting with treats. Just some things I've picked up from obedience friends that have worked well for me and my pup! She's 11 months and slowly but surely getting a brain..just have to keep it short and sweet and build on it every time.

Keep it up and would love to see y'all's progress! Are you interested in trialing in obedience or anything?

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I agree with both statements above. That said without seeing the videos, my internet is totally wonky tonight and videos are on standstill. I just want to say, the difference from 8 months to 18 months will be amazing. You are both doing great just by training at all and it just gets better as they grow out of the puppy phase.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Hi guys,
My pup is the first dog I’m trying to formally train. I had a blue heeler for 15 years that was well behaved. But became that way kind of organically from going to work with me everyday for 8 years. So my dobe is 8 months old now and we’ve been working on engagement and the basics since she was 12 weeks. I’m going to post 2 videos of us.
One with kibble and one without. My question is basically if I keep this up for another year or so with the same amount of training. Where do you think we will be? Kind looking for a progress report on what you would expect from a dog her age. As far as our level of engagement. And any input or advice. Would be appreciated

You need to be more animated, put more excitement in your train, build drive to get engagement. Always have a reward, just because you have treats on you doesn’t determine when treat will be offered. Throw a piece of food then run away, call your dog to run to you for another reward. Have your dog chase food in your hand, make it a game. Your dog will eventually push you for training.
the positioning of the exercises looks good but your dog his not excited or having fun. Truthfully in another year your dog will not have improved and it’s desire to train could possibly be lower making it worse. Sorry, not meaning to give such harsh constructive criticism but your dog is young snd you can make training such a better abs more fun times for both of you.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
So, seeing the videos this morning, I also agree with @Doberman Gang's suggestions. Have some crazy fun antics while training and your puppy will reflect that. I never had a dog that "pushed for training" like he's talking about until I made it more fun. If I pick up the collar she starts barking and running in circles and can barely keep still enough for me to put it on, literally PUSHING into the collar. She only wears a collar when we train, so this means to her doing something together rather than just being let out into the yard. Also the collar signals "time to DO stuff" and different collars mean different activities to her. They become very collar wise. If you just want a well behaved dog around the house, you're doing great. If you want that snappy "I love doing this!" attitude, up the fun & games while you train! Also, if you aren't already, do fun games that don't involve obedience at all: tug, ball, finding hidden treats.

Cferg

You need to be more animated, put more excitement in your train, build drive to get engagement. Always have a reward, just because you have treats on you doesn’t determine when treat will be offered. Throw a piece of food then run away, call your dog to run to you for another reward. Have your dog chase food in your hand, make it a game. Your dog will eventually push you for training.
the positioning of the exercises looks good but your dog his not excited or having fun. Truthfully in another year your dog will not have improved and it’s desire to train could possibly be lower making it worse. Sorry, not meaning to give such harsh constructive criticism but your dog is young snd you can make training such a better abs more fun times for both of you.
I
No offense to your criticism taken at all. I was trying to be kind of neutral in the video to show her organic engagement. If that makes sense. I’ve been trying to up the excitement while training. I’m also trying to build her ball or tug drive up. Which has been pretty low she has always been a chow hound though.
I think I read somewhere that you stated you stop feeding through training at a certain point. I was curious why that is?

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
I

No offense to your criticism taken at all. I was trying to be kind of neutral in the video to show her organic engagement. If that makes sense. I’ve been trying to up the excitement while training. I’m also trying to build her ball or tug drive up. Which has been pretty low she has always been a chow hound though.
I think I read somewhere that you stated you stop feeding through training at a certain point. I was curious why that is?
I train all new exercises with food, this allows for faster and more reps in a training session. This helps the learning process and muscle memory. Once exercises have been taught I switch to a ball or tug. This ups drive and intensity of the training. Corrections are now in play, so I need my dog engaged with me enough that it can overcome the adversity of being corrected for doing something wrong. This creates a dog that will try harder to be correct because it’s drive to play with the handler is higher abs will continue to work hard. Dogs in a lower state of drive will many times quickly shit down if corrected or will only conform out of escape and avoidance. These are not happy dogs and do not look at time with their handler as a positive experience.
the sooner I can switch my dogs to a ball or tug the better, I just believe the bond is great when you are playing then just giving a food reward. That is why I suggest, to the people who train with me, have your dogs chase food in your hand, teach them to spin, Twist, retrieve, recall ect.. This make training fun and builds engagement early when they are young puppies.

Cferg

I train all new exercises with food, this allows for faster and more reps in a training session. This helps the learning process and muscle memory. Once exercises have been taught I switch to a ball or tug. This ups drive and intensity of the training. Corrections are now in play, so I need my dog engaged with me enough that it can overcome the adversity of being corrected for doing something wrong. This creates a dog that will try harder to be correct because it’s drive to play with the handler is higher abs will continue to work hard. Dogs in a lower state of drive will many times quickly shit down if corrected or will only conform out of escape and avoidance. These are not happy dogs and do not look at time with their handler as a positive experience.
the sooner I can switch my dogs to a ball or tug the better, I just believe the bond is great when you are playing then just giving a food reward. That is why I suggest, to the people who train with me, have your dogs chase food in your hand, teach them to spin, Twist, retrieve, recall ect.. This make training fun and builds engagement early when they are young puppies.
Thanks Doberman Gang this is the sort of feedback I was looking for. I’ve been doing this by myself and it’s the first time I’ve been this committed to training a dog. I have a membership with team dog and I think it sets a good foundation for a puppy.

But I think it lacks the info to link the point of where we are now. To the next step to keep our growth trajectory going. The course lacks a lot of nuance and is pretty much foundational. And definitely not breed specific. I don’t have any thoughts of doing completions of any sorts. I just didn’t wanna be the A-hole with the 80-90lb Doberman out of control out in public.

I did have a trainer come to the house around 4 months ago. She was pretty much a waste didn’t have much to say or critique. Her 18 month old personal dog was pretty much at the same level as my dog was. I think I need to find a working dog trainer in my area.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Thanks Doberman Gang this is the sort of feedback I was looking for. I’ve been doing this by myself and it’s the first time I’ve been this committed to training a dog. I have a membership with team dog and I think it sets a good foundation for a puppy.

But I think it lacks the info to link the point of where we are now. To the next step to keep our growth trajectory going. The course lacks a lot of nuance and is pretty much foundational. And definitely not breed specific. I don’t have any thoughts of doing completions of any sorts. I just didn’t wanna be the A-hole with the 80-90lb Doberman out of control out in public.

I did have a trainer come to the house around 4 months ago. She was pretty much a waste didn’t have much to say or critique. Her 18 month old personal dog was pretty much at the same level as my dog was. I think I need to find a working dog trainer in my area.
Where are you located, I know a quite A few trainers in the US

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
I’m in the Central Valley California. I know there is a club 2-3 hrs north of me. But I would prefer to find someone in the Fresno area which is only an hour away.

Cferg

Thanks for the reply and info. I’m going to try to reach out to somebody.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
I’m in the Central Valley California. I know there is a club 2-3 hrs north of me. But I would prefer to find someone in the Fresno area which is only an hour away.
Joel Monroe is in Delhi, not sure how far that would be or if he has time available. I know he has a huge club.