Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Training nightmare!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Sweetee6986, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Sweetee6986

Sweetee6986 New Member

Up until yesterday my new baby girl Hendrixx was doing SO WELL with potty training with very little to no accidents. She’s grasped the concept of going outside to use the restroom, cries when she has to go out. But as of yesterday, she’s peeing EVERYWHERE & I really feel that it’s out of spite because she’ll look right at me & pee. She doesn’t sneak off to do it, she does it right in plain sight.

Also, as of yesterday her biting has gotten out of control. Her teeth are getting stronger & her bites are starting to hurt. (She’s 8weeks) Yes, I know that she’s teething & so i’ve supplied her with PLENTY of various toys. When she bites I REPLACE my hand or whatever she bites with something that she is allowed to bite. Or I’ll say “ouch!” & walk away. Those tricks used to work up until now.

Please help!

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would have her checked for a UTI since that will definitely cause it. Della had a couple of them when she was a pup and she just couldn't control it.

The nipping isn't unusual at this age and you just need to keep redirecting consistently.

I'm going to move this to the puppy section so more people see it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yup....and here we go.....

To have that sweet, cute puppy that will eventually grow into the stoic, regal looking Doberman that everybody you pass will be awestruck!!!- to have this, there must be a payment. Something that good, that revered comes with a price.

Be patient with the potty training, it will come but it cannot be forced. Just be diligent and watch her like a hawk; every time she even looks like she will pee, scoop her up and take her outside. When she goes, have a celebratory party outside- every time. Sometimes you will do this 10times a hour, does matter, stay on top of it and she will eventually get it. If you are lazy and nonchalant, it will be an ongoing battle.

They call them the “DoberShark” for a reason. You have to stay patient and redirect, redirect, redirect. Can prob expect this through 7months of age so don’t get angry at them, just have patience, they will grow out of it.

You are at a significant disadvantage right now too. It is winter and extremely cold so you just can’t take her outside and redirect her with the outside environment. Figure out some things inside both physical and mental to wear her out.
    REMEMBER that a tired Doberman is a good Doberman.

Do a search on this site on both mental exercises and physical activities to do inside house.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

At 8 weeks she is to young to completely understand the task of being potty trained. They usually don’t completely have an inderstanding of it until they are 4-5 months old. Although you can lessen the accidents. Frequent trips outside with you and her on a leash then reward for going. Ignore her and let her walk around in the area where you want her to use for potty. She will learn quickly. Also 8 weeks is early for the teething stage, unfortunately this will get worse before it gets better. Re direct to toy tug ect... you will eventually get thru this stage as well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Sweetee6986

Sweetee6986 New Member

Thanks so much!! I’m having first puppy blues

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Sweetee6986

Sweetee6986 New Member

Thanks so much!!! The uti post is sounding like the issue now that I’ve researched it a little. I most definitely understand that I have to take the good with the bad. I’ve wanted a Doberman my ENTIRE life & finally have her I’m just so nervous/anxious & want to make sure I’m doing everything right. I love this site & people like you all that have experiences & can put my mind at ease!

• Like Like x 5
  7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Cute puppy on Tuesday.

Psycho puppy on Friday.
    Sounds about right :spit:

Hang in there. It's perfectly normal to feel all these things: :wtf::pullhair::facepalm::help:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Kojak

Kojak New Member

What you're describing is perfectly normal! Dobie's dont get potty trained till they are 5 months or older as a general rule. You should take her out to the same area in the same amount of hours as her age in months. So if a puppy is 2 months old, they need to go every 2 hours. As for nipping, they are not called dobersharks for nothing, lol! She will start teething in a few weeks, these are all the normal things a dobie puppy goes through. Relax, it will be worth it at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sweetee6986

Sweetee6986 New Member

thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sweetee6986

Sweetee6986 New Member

Thanks so much for the encouraging words

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  11. CRDobe

CRDobe Notable member

Patience, a sense of humor ... and more patience.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  12. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

And when the patience runs out, it's time for :machinegun:

(Just kidding! But not really lol)

13. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I don’t think it’s unusual for the puppy ‘blues’ to set in. Bringing a new life into your home is a massive change. The excitement of the first few days has worn off, and tiredness has set in. Maybe you are just feeling a bit down.

Housebreaking takes weeks, not days. She’ll NEVER mess the house out of “revenge”, to “get back at” you, or to make you mad! Please, never think that.

RELAX - don’t be too hard on yourself. It will get easier, I promise. They are only puppies for such a short time, enjoy it! You are going to have good days and bad days, that’s life with a puppy. Keep positive!!

You sound like a very caring, thoughtful and committed owner - make sure you look after yourself.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

^^^^^so true!!!

15. Sweetee6986

Sweetee6986 New Member

Thank you so much!

16. mshipway

mshipway Jr Member

We went through Similar, Our trainers told us bladder control in puppies comes at 13 weeks-14 weeks. They said until then, when your puppy is out and around the house ( under direct supervision) take them out every 30 minutes ( no food or treats) and then pick a spot and stand still, wait for your puppy to go and name it. After a while they will go on cue.
    *In no way am I saying this is the only or best way, I am simply offering a quick tip as to what worked for us and our Dobershark.

Also the biting I find comes in waves, it was bad for a while then it faded off due to the re directions etc, now he only has his canines left to come through and he is starting to get very mouthy again!

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DanBar

DanBar Member

All of the above.
    UTI check.
    Don't expect 8 week old pup to be housebroken.