Trained or puppy?

mts

Novitiate
I am looking for my first Doberman. He/she would be going into a house with a couple smaller dogs and cats. Until recently I had a female German Shepherd who was wonderful with the smaller animals, but she grew up around them so she never had to adjust to them.

Ideally I would love to find a young adult that had been through obedience training. My question is whether it's realistic to expect a dog like that could adjust to the smaller animals or whether a puppy is the only way to go? The idea of a new puppy is not ideal, but better that than issues with the other animals.

Basically I'm hoping to find a very gentle, sweet Dobie that looks a bit scary but is not at all. That's effectively what the Shepherd was. I would just get another Shepherd, but the shedding was a challenge and everything I read indicates the Dobie has similar characteristics.

I would find a local, reputable rescue. They will put you through the ringer more than a breeder and will help you find the best dog for your situation and needs. And if that one doesn't work, they will take him back and find you another. I'm not familiar with the area but I think we have a few folks on here closer to you who might be able to push you in a good direction!

I am looking for my first Doberman.

The idea of a new puppy is not ideal, but better that than issues with the other animals.

...everything I read indicates the Dobie has similar characteristics.
Doberman puppies are a real handful so I'm glad to see you've done some thinking on this :thumbsup2: There have been some new members who have German Shepard experience but STILL found a Doberman puppy to be VERY different. So they might be similar in some ways but there are differences.

That said, protecting your current animals will be important and it will require some work no matter how sweet the dog is. Prey drive is a definite factor in training a puppy or adult Dobe to accept other little friends.

I second the suggestion of a Dobe specific rescue. A good one will know the history of the dog, its temperment, and how it is with kids and small critters. They do their best to make the best possible match and will take the dog back.
I went this route with my previous dog, and told them that color, sex and ears weren't a priority for me, that best dog that fit my needs was. They absolutely nailed it!

Welcome!

I think there are advantages and disadvantages both ways so I would probably personally go for a pup that can be trained to respect your other animals, even though a pup is a lot more work. That said, if you decided to go with a rescue or trained adult and they're proven with small animals, that might be a better choice.

Welcome!

Good question. Hard to say which route would wind up being best for you. You would have better odds raising a pup – in terms of the Dobe integrating nicely into your animal family. But that is, of course, more work and waiting for them to go through the various phases of growing up.

Really, I would recommend the Dobe rescue option. I sometimes say that a person really has to want a Doberman. You don't wind up with one by accident. What that makes me think of in this case is that you have to really want to raise a Doberman puppy or it will seem not worth it. You want a Dobe that has the deterrent of Doberman looks but does not have to have the temperament to be an effective guard dog. This sounds like a Dobe rescue would be your good choice.

By the way, not saying rescued Dobes can't be good guard dogs. They can. Speaking of which: Most likely a Doberman will be an excellent watch dog. Just know there is a difference between watch dog and guard dog. So yes, your Dobe will likely be very alert and prone to bark at lots of things.

Which brings me to my last point: Dobermans are different in temperament than Shepherds. Dobes are unique and pretty quirky. If you are seeking what you had in your GSD, just with less shedding, you might wind up with something you didn't expect.

Which brings me to my last point: Dobermans are different in temperament than Shepherds. Dobes are unique and pretty quirky. If you are seeking what you had in your GSD, just with less shedding, you might wind up with something you didn't expect.

Can you help me better understand the above statement? I've done a lot of reading comparing a Shepherd to a Doberman and talked to a couple local trainers, but have no practical experience with Dobermans. I am looking for a dog that is a "watch dog", not a "guard dog". I am looking for a companion type "velcro dog" with gentle temperament in a 100% house dog that will effectively be "all bark no bite" if you will. The dog will get plenty of exercise and adult human interaction. Are you saying it will be difficult/impossible to find that character set in a Doberman?

Can you help me better understand the above statement? I've done a lot of reading comparing a Shepherd to a Doberman and talked to a couple local trainers, but have no practical experience with Dobermans. I am looking for a dog that is a "watch dog", not a "guard dog". I am looking for a companion type "velcro dog" with gentle temperament in a 100% house dog that will effectively be "all bark no bite" if you will. The dog will get plenty of exercise and adult human interaction. Are you saying it will be difficult/impossible to find that character set in a Doberman?
No, I'm not saying it will be difficult to find that in a Doberman. In fact, it will be easy to find that. Seems to me that one of the qualities that is almost universal in Dobes of all types is alertness. They are very aware of their surroundings and most are quite happy to become vocal about it. So you will likely have good success finding what you're wanting in that regard. :thumbsup2: :dobe:

I just mean that the Doberman temperament is unique. They are sensitive. One thing I admire about them is they have so many facets to them. Clownish, Intense, Fun, Serious watchdog, Big babies, Intelligent, Devious, Mischievous. I like the complexity. With my first one, I considered him to not be a very "doggy" dog. He was from a hobby breeder and didn't cost much money. He had a air of refinement about him though – kind of like acting like a typical dog was below him. Now, I've gotten two Dobermans in a row from serious working lines and (in addition to being a LOT more money to purchase) are in fact more "doggy."

If you do get a Dobe, remember as you are training him or her that they are sensitive. They don't like harsh corrections. They need to know they can trust you always. Of course, some Dobes are "harder" and more thick-skinned than others and require a firmer hand.

Also know that in training them, keep training sessions pretty short and without too much repetition. They are too smart to be asked to do the same thing over and over in the same session. It's like they're thinking: "What, did I not do it correctly already? I guess I'll change something then."

Back