1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

TOTW Ancient Grains dog food?

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Ddski5, May 20, 2020.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Is this new? I saw this the other day when I took Ragnar to Tractor Supply to get weighed.

I checked out the ingredients and noted no peas, legumes or lentils. So is this their way to satisfy the conflict and worry about plant proteins possibly causing DCM? I know this is not proven but still- made me switch off plant based proteins food.

I am interested in the Salmon, gets really hot down here and it may be a good cooler, variant protein to use during the summer months.

Protein is a little high for me but the way he exercises with us at the soccer fields, it may just equal out....

There is a lamb flavor but I read somewhere or @Kaiser2016? said somewhere that lamb is not a good source??

Yes, realize it’s not RAW, so you guys/gals calm down there.

Please express thoughts or input??
    Bash away if you want or compliment....

Disclaimer: Currently on Fromm adult gold and have never seen Ragnar’s coat so shiny.

Salmon flavor:

31BFF040-BC63-4AE7-A6B7-0BD0D4B3F5C2.png

Fowl flavor:
    94FB8401-F828-4680-9876-E5858943BC31.png

Bison and Venison:

2A71AF5A-A0B0-493B-B102-5497375001E6.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

My criticism of this kibble is that I’d prefer the first 5 ingredients to be named meats. That said, it’s awesome that they are addressing the plant protein problem.

So off my memory, Lamb and rabbit are low taurine, but I had intended to research this further and never did until now and some surprising info came up:

“Meat, eggs, and seafood provide the richest natural sources of taurine and are also complete proteins, containing all 10 essential amino acids. Larger animals like cows have lower levels of taurine than smaller animals like fish, and dark meat has a higher concentration of taurine than white meat (as do organ meats).”

This link itemizes all the proteins half way down the page:
    The Importance of Taurine In Raw Cat Diets

Good link to save and screenshot so you never lose it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think they came out with it late last summer or early fall and I've considered it but they've been doing great on the regular TOTW so I've just stuck with that.

I know that @Logan 45 has been using the ancestral grains so hopefully he will chime in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh I am interested in this. Im also feeding Fromm Gold, I agree on the shiny coat. However I was thinking of finding something with more fish, maybe mixing or rotating proteins if his belly handles it okay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ddski5

Yes, that was my thought process also.

Fish is a good rotation but with that comes the fishy gas.....Hahahaha
    The wife and girls hate that.

I say that, but I have not had him on any fish based kibble in over a year. He might handle it better now at 2.5y/o.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Logan 45

Logan 45 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Yes I have fed this and I found the results to be good. The high prairie formula was a little rich for my dogs. I thought it was a solid food and it’s in my rotation. I like the concept of it and it does give you some piece of mind being grain inclusive and higher quality grains not corn, wheat or soy.I have also fed Fromm adult gold the black bag. I personally like to rotate foods I think it keeps things fresh for your dog and once the rotation is in place different foods have different vitamins, nutrients and protein sources. Not mention once their gut has adjusted they can handle the transition with no upset or gas.

And as far as the dcm goes I’m definitely not the most educated. In my mind I would think the introduction of this product is definitely a marketing ploy to keep the customer base they established since people have abandoned grain free food to some degree.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

as some of you may remember i feed grain free. as i had not found a food that has done well with ace in 2 years. i could not keep weight on him bad cow patty phoo . Victor yukon river salmon i have been able to keep him right about 70- 72 lbs on this, he great solid phoo ( unless he gets to much exersice in the day ) but i do like the the readings on this new totw.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lizbeli

Im actually needing to buy some more dog food. Maybe ill bite the bullet and try this if my local store has it.

9. Logan 45

@WILD ACE @Lizbeli I would definitely try it if you can get your hands a bag. I know it’s a stock item at tractor supply. If your local feed store carries totw grain free they might stock both now.

10. JanS

Our feed store said they will order it for us but I'm one of the few who has asked about it so they haven't stocked it.
    How is the price compared to the regular TOTW?

11. WILD ACE

WILD ACE Member

can order on chewy as well

12. Rnrgyrl

Rnrgyrl Hot Topics Subscriber

Hi. I order on chewy and I have just switched my dogs to this and our first bag is the Buffalo and so far all the buffaloes in my house gobble this up!

13. Ddski5

So, the ingredients have improved but....

the truth is truly with the poop.

After being fully transitioned over, how big are the poop piles? If the piles are big, then there are a lot of fillers in it and he is pooping more out than he is absorbing.

Kinda funny, yes but this is all part of the poop patrol.

So anybody have any testament to the poop pile?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Logan 45

The price is identical to the grain free I believe. It’s $46-47 a bag and I think like 48.99 at tractor supply.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. JanS

I definitely won't order from Chewy but there are other options so it's not a big deal to me.
    Chewy supports HSUS

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

17. Lizbeli

After looking at the amazon reviews and “questions” area people mention a recent lawsuit regarding lead for TOTW foods? Ill have to do way more research on it, see if its actually anything significant.