Top dog friendly vehicles

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Going With, Not To, the Dogs

16_1753_20100818201510_Liam%20in%20Car.jpg

AAA has released a list of the best car for dogs. (Photo by Josh Condon.)Man's best friend can turn into man's biggest annoyance if you spend a lot of time in the wrong car with your dog. Try driving cross-country with a hyperactive Australian cattle dog like mine, pictured, if you don't believe me. Yes, our canine companions have their own needs, and some cars deal with four-legged passengers better than others.

With 45 million American households home to one or more dogs, and with many owners regularly taking their pet for a ride, having the right transportation for the task can save you some headaches. In that spirit, AAA has released its list of vehicles best-suited to keeping your dog safe, comfortable and happy. Check out its list after the jump.

Luxury
Volvo XC60: A natural fit for the travels-with-dogs lifestyle, the XC60 offers heavy-duty rubber mats and a pet barrier that fastens between the rear seats to keep the dogs in the back, where they belong.

BMW 3-Series Sports Wagon: BMW likes one-upping the competition, so one available pet barrier for this sporty, roomy ride keeps the canines out of the front seat and divides the area so that dogs prone to rough play, or those who don't get along, are kept separate.

Active
Subaru Forester: A stable ride is a plus for dogs, which are notoriously ill-at-ease with hard corners and general in-car balance. Being lower to the ground than many SUVs and CUVs makes it easier for dogs to enter and exit, and the 68 cubic feet of cargo room is practically a doggie hotel.

Hyundai Santa Fe: Obviously, the interior room is great -- made even better by the recent cut of third-row seats and, subsequently, larger cargo room. Pet-specific add-ons are readily available as aftermarket items.

Kids, dogs and everything else
Honda Element: We probably don't need to go past the fact that you can hose down the roomy interior if the need arises, but the Element goes so far as to offer a complete package for pet owners, including heavy-duty seat covers, a ramp to load and unload older dogs and a soft-sided kennel that can be secured to the vehicle.

Toyota Venza: The Venza, like the Element, has both plenty of interior room and its own pet package, including a pet restraint system, waterproof seat covers and a ramp for older animals.

Efficient and fun
Mazda3 5-Door: Besides being fun to drive, the 5-door Mazda has large access points from both the tailgate and rear doors, making loading and unloading easy. Larger breeds, however, may feel a bit cramped.

MINI Clubman: The Clubman doesn't exactly live up to the MINI moniker sizewise, which is a good thing for your dog, and this "MINI-meets-the-countryside" model is great for small to midsize breeds, especially considering that kennels can be secured with standard tie-down points in the rear.

Green
Ford Escape Hybrid: The boxed-off cargo area is perfect for dogs of all sizes (something Ford actually promotes in the vehicle literature) and the battery pack is sealed, meaning even the most mischievous mutt can't do any harm.

Economical
Kia Soul: Bigger on the inside than it seems -- though big breeds probably need a larger car -- and pet-specific aftermarket components such as thicker mats and pet-resistant seat covers are easy to come by.

Nissan Cube: Excellent interior room made more excellent with the back seats down, accommodating even large breeds -- though for the dog's sake, you may want to pad that back cargo area, as it doesn't lie flush.

[Source: AAA]

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

I have an Escape right now, but it's honestly not nearly big enough for Boris. It will soon be growing up into an Explorer (as soon as the factory gets going on assembly :waiting2:), and being I had the Explorer before getting this Escape, I can say that the Explorer is "much" more dog friendly in all regards.

How satisfied are you with your vehicle from a dogs perspective?

Good article Jan.. thank you. I have to add my MIL has a minivan and that thing is great for hauling dogs here and there. The middle seat can be removed, but I like that they can also fold forward, to form a barrier so the dogs can't get to the front and bother the driver. It is low to the ground so even an older dog can hop right in thru the side sliding doors from either side of the vehicle. Its carpeted and comfy and has low windows that open just a crack from the sides for ventilation. I hate driving a minivan, but that thing is great with the dogs..lol

I hate driving a minivan, but that thing is great with the dogs..lol

I know, our trainer went from an SUV to a minivan since she travels with her GSD's all the time and she said it was the best trade she's ever made.

I have a Toyota Matrix ('10) and it's great for my 3 dogs. I keep the rear seats folded down and put down a comforter and they just lie down in the back with plenty of room. I *could* get a 4th dog in there! It's similar to the Venza I think but smaller and cheaper. No "pet package." I don't know how many dog crates would fit back there as I don't crate mine when driving (I know, bad me). The jump into the back is a little high but my 12 year old is still making it. :)

Another car I really liked was the Honda Fit. The rear seats on that fold down flat but low, or, you can pull up the bottom part of the seat to have the floor open. It was more versatile in the back, and a couple thousand cheaper than the Matrix. BUT, I felt the engine was underpowered at high speeds and I spend a lot of time on freeways/ am a speed demon, so I chose the Matrix instead. Also Toyota's 0% financing didn't hurt. I bought my car about 3 months ago and so far I'm very happy and so are my girls. :)

I have a Toyota Matrix ('10) and it's great for my 3 dogs. I keep the rear seats folded down and put down a comforter and they just lie down in the back with plenty of room. I *could* get a 4th dog in there! It's similar to the Venza I think but smaller and cheaper. No "pet package." I don't know how many dog crates would fit back there as I don't crate mine when driving (I know, bad me). The jump into the back is a little high but my 12 year old is still making it. :)

Another car I really liked was the Honda Fit. The rear seats on that fold down flat but low, or, you can pull up the bottom part of the seat to have the floor open. It was more versatile in the back, and a couple thousand cheaper than the Matrix. BUT, I felt the engine was underpowered at high speeds and I spend a lot of time on freeways/ am a speed demon, so I chose the Matrix instead. Also Toyota's 0% financing didn't hurt. I bought my car about 3 months ago and so far I'm very happy and so are my girls. :)

We bought our second Toyota Yaris a few mo's ago with the 0% too.I think it's very simular to the Matrix in size and shape,just a more basic car(manual crank windows,no cruise)it works great for Shiloh and if we were a 2 dog home,it'd be plenty roomy for 2 big dogs with the back seat down and a blanket(great minds think alike!LOL) Same thing as you,the jump up could be a little hi for any dog with limited mobility,but we get 37-40MPG,it's not overpowered by any means but I've looked down and discovered that I'm doing over 80 many times without realizing it.I'm 6'3" and 235lbs and I'm more comfortable in it than the 2002Malibu we traded in on the first Yaris.

I've always had a dog friendly vehicle that doubles for hauling music equipment. Right now I have a 2004 Chyr. mini voyager whatever thing, no seats in the back and an extra rug back there for comfort and protection. Pudg loves to take rides sits in the passenger fron t seat head out the window enjoying himself. His driving has improver but the backing up still stinks. Oh well! Von

We have a Scion xD and I love it for Spock. It was low enough that we could just give him a boost and get him in. I'm sure he'll be able to jump in it just fine now that he's bigger. The best part is the back seats fold completely flat so Spock has a ton of room back there. He likes to lay right behind the front seats with his head between them, occasionally with his nose in the cup holder. My only complaint is that with 4 people in there the trunk area isn't big enough for him to fit comfortably. We could easily fit 2 - 3 full grown Dobes back there.
Our Toyota Tacoma is pretty good, the only real fault is how high of a jump it is. He still balks at it and has to be boosted most of the time but that's more of an OB issue than the height of the truck. However when he's older it will be too high for him I'm sure. The back seat is plenty big for him to curl up or sit up. He could lay down, too but with that rise in the center I don't think its comfortable for him to stretch across the whole thing. With the double cab there's plenty of space for 2 - 3 dogs across the back seat (3 would be tight).

YOU CANNOT HOSE DOWN AN ELEMENT!!! whats wrong with people?? there are still crevices and cracks the water can get into and you dont want rust. Granted its a plastic floor so instead of shampooing i just need a soapy sponge... and if Karma breaks a 44oz cup of tea in half and it splashes everywhere, I am not TO concerned... LOL

Only thing I dont like is the damn suicide door. thats a PITA... would love it and get new one if they had a 4 door version come out.

Insurance side... thing is a tank!!! Every totalled one I have seen... has done GREAT in accidents... super safe!

Back