1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Top 20 worst dry dog food

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by Doberman Gang, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Facebook

2. Doberman Gang

Top 20 Worst Dry Dog Food Brands For 2017 - The Dog Digest

20 Purina One® Smart Blend
    Purina One Smart Blend begins their ingredient list with a good protein source found in high-end dry dog foods CHICKEN. Unfortunately, going down the ingredient list Smart Blend fails to provide a balanced and nutritional diet a “smart” dog owner would want to provide for their pups. Cheap corn fillers, unhealthy fats, animal digest and salt is also found in this low-end brand.

19 Science Diet®
    There is really nothing “scientific” about this brand. Upon reviewing the ingredient list all the healthy stuff (which is minimal) is located at the very end of the ingredient list. Rendered chicken meal is the #1 ingredient in this brand followed by numerous low-end fillers.

18 Cesar®
    The “filet mignon” flavor is actually chicken meal, chicken by-products and meat & bone meal. This low-end dry dog food is also preserved with BHA. Unfortunately when it comes to nutritional value, vegetables are located 19th on the list. There is actually more salt then vegetables (dried spinach, green peas and carrots) in this dry kibble!

17 SPORTMiX® Wholesomes
    The #1 ingredient found in SPORTMiX Wholesomes is chicken meal. Chicken meal is a high density protein made from chicken scraps that is rendered with high heat to a dry powder. SPORTMiX supplies brown rice as the secondary ingredient in the kibble but quickly fails nutritionally with the introduction of rice flour, rice bran and chicken fat with preservatives.

16 Purina® Veterinary Diets
    Purina® Veterinary Diets was produced specifically for dogs with serious medical conditions. This type of dry dog food is prescription based only. We question the medical concious of this brand after simply reviewing the ingredient list below. What do you think?

15 Retriever® Hi Protein
    Meat and bone meal is the #1 ingredient in this low-end dog food. Meat and bone meal is the end result of animal rendering. The highly concentrate powder protein is virtually banned within the European Union and is now being used as a fossil fuel! Following meat and bone meal is numerous corn, wheat and soybean fillers that provide very little nutritional value to your dog.

14 Diamond® Premium
    Diamond Premium is marketed towards the large working dog. Unfortunately this “premium” brand contains a unhealthy mix of non-nutritional ingredients. The first 5 ingredients shows this brand is filled with chicken by-products, grain, wheat corn and preserved fats. Working dogs need a high abundance of proteins and healthy carbohydrates which Diamond fails to deliver on.

13 Purina® Moist & Meaty Burger
    Marketed to small dog breeds, Purina Moist & Meaty Burger dog food seems like a quick and easy meal for your dog. The box states this dog food is “100% complete and well balanced nutrition for dogs” upon further inspection of the ingredient list can conclude this is further from the truth. Meaty burger is nothing more then beef by-products. Use caution when serving up this meal to your pups. High fructose corn syrup is a top 5 on the ingredient list which is absolutely terrible for your dog’s health. Loaded with preservatives, wheat flour and cheese powder this brand is far from nutritional.

12 DAD’S® Econ-o-mets
    This low-end brand pulls all the stops when it comes to marketing as 100% nutritional. The bag says this dog food is from “local family farms”. The manufacture claims the ground yellow corn is of “high quality” for energy. This brand provides little nutritional value and is filled with low-end fillers.

11 Retriever® Mini Chunk
    Ground yellow corn is found as the the #1 ingredient in Retriever Mini Chunk. It makes sense this brand retails for around $17.00 for a 55 pound bag. (5lb is FREE!) Cheap filler is in abundance in this brand with little nutritional value. Note: Animal fat is preserved with BHA a carcinogenic to humans.

10 Purina® Beneful Original

The multi-color dog kibble has made the list again for worst dry dog food brand. Beneful offers minimal nutritional value to our dogs. The “natural and wholesome” packed in each bite is nothing more then yellow corn, by-product fillers, whole wheat and animal fats. If your canine suffered from food-based allergies, it would be best not to feed them this type of dog food.

9 PURINA® DOG CHOW
    Purina® uses million dollar marketing strategies to sell the same product but just in a different colorful bag. Purina dog chow is a mix of whole grain corn, animal fat, soybean meal and meat & bone meal. Dogs have a hard time digesting these types of fillers. Dogs need a high protein count with fresh chicken, duck or fish products which most Purina® products do not provide according to their ingredient list.

8 Kibbles N Bits®
    This corn based product is one of the cheapest brands on retailer shelves. Kibbles ‘n Bits protein supply is provides through beef & bone meal. Corn is unfortunately the main ingredient in this low-end dog food. Caution: The animal fat preserved is BHA, a cancer causing agent.

7 Pedigree® AdultPedigree® is the top selling brand in the US and is rated one of the worst online.Many unwanted ingredients make up Pedigree® products. Pedigree® uses artificial coloring in its product as well. Beet pulp a controversial ingredient is used in Pedigree® products, this is a by-product that is used as a filler. Combine all this with the main ingredient ground whole corn we have a cheap high profit company product that has low nutritional value for our dogs.

6 IAMS® Pro Active
    Iams® continues to make the lists of worst food for your dog. Inspecting the ingredient list we find more ground yellow corn then chicken in many of Iams brands. You won’t find any essential fruits or vegetables until you reach #14 on the ingredient list. Notice where salt is on the list?
    [/B]

5 Twin Pet®
    One of the cheapest retail dog foods out there. Twin Pet meets all the expectation of a low-end cheap dog food. The bag says “100% nutritionally complete for adult dog maintenance” this further from the truth. Checking out the top 5 ingredient in this dog food provides very little nutritional value to your dog. This stuff is loaded with ground corn, animal fat, wheat middlings and salt.

4 ALPO®
    Alpo contains numerous fillers and unhealthy additives. Animal digest is found in Alpo. Animal digest is a chemically hydrolyzed mixture of animal by-products that is typically sprayed onto the surface of dry kibble to improve the taste. Garlic, a controversial ingredient in dog food, is also found on the ingredients list. Dog food critics claim garlic can cause Heinz Body Anemia in dogs if consumed in large amounts. Anemia can damage red blood cells in the animal leading to death. Alpo contains no probiotics and a handful of artificial flavors and colors

3 KAL KAN®

The first ingredient in Kal Kan® is ground yellow corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. Aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog. The second ingredient is meat and bone meal, a dry rendered product from mammal tissues, including bone, exclusive of any added blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents. Meat and bone meal can have a lower digestibility than most other meat meals.

2 GRAVY TRAIN®

Gravy Train again is another low-end dry dog food brand. This kibble is filled with non-nutritional corn fillers, bone & meat meal, wheat middlings, animal digest and salt.

1 Ol Roy®2017
    #1 worst dry dog food brand goes to Ol’ Roy. Breaking down this awful ingredient list shows how truly non-nutritional this kibble really is to your dog. There is NO proteins within the first 5 ingredients on the list! There is more corn syrup in this low-end dog food then actual protein! Let that sink in for a minute….

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2017
  3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I always hate to see these lists. Purina always has so many on there.
    I would really like to support Purina. They do so many wonderful things for dogs and their owners. Every year as far as I know they make the top ten list of best companies to work for. Just wish they could make a decent food.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I can't say any of those surprise me but I see so many people buying them. What they don't realize is that they could buy a high quality food without all of those fillers and feed much less so it wouldn't cost them more anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

My boyfriend teases me because I go through phases where I LOSE MY MIND worrying about Rubies food. I might be one spreadsheet shy of obsessed but there are so many misleading foods out there. I think we finally settled on something that she'll eat and that's good for her *PHEW*

• Like Like x 4
  6. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

People are poor so they dont think that the $30 50lb bag of food probably has horrible ingredients that is likely shortening the life of their dog and causing more vet bills. All they know is they cant afford $60 for a 25lb bag. These are the same people that buy chips, soda, white bread and bologna for lunch.
    Imho though, these brands should be made to clean up their act or taken off the market. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

More reasons why I will continue to feed a raw diet

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crystal

Crystal Jr Member

Woohoo I feed Willow Fromm always wanted to do raw but with a toddler in the house it worries me, glad not to see mine on the list

• Like Like x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

No Fromm is a very high rated food so it better not be there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Well? They do make a decent food, they just also make some horrible ones too.
    You know I'm no Purina fan, but I can't argue with Pro Plan Sport delivering on their claims of higher energy and endurance. Rocky was a nut on that food. Younger I admit, but changing foods toned him down a little.

On another note I'm surprised none of the BB labels are on the list, lol. :D

11. Doberman Gang

That is what I am always trying to explain to people. That and less fillers means less poop to clean up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 1