• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Tooth Extraction vs Root Canal

LifeofRubie

Well, this Dingo has done it and has a couple of teeth that are broken.

The one is chipped vertically and builds up tartar pretty quickly so that one will need extracted (top left molar).

The molar directly below that one, she broke the tip off and there is some "pulp" showing (I believe is the term the vet used). That one can be extracted at the same time by our local vet or we can try and find a vet that does canine tooth reconstruction and go full root canal.

I think we're just leaning toward extraction for both for simplicity purposes but did want to ask if there was any real benefit to doing a root canal on a back molar beside vanity. If it were a front canine, I think we'd consider it but for a dog who isn't relying on molars for chewing off chunks of prey, quickest and simplest is best, right?

The quote for our local vet to extract two molars is about $800, adding a full scrape and polish for the rest of the teeth adds about $450 BUT our insurance should cover 90% of it. I believe root canals are getting into the $3000 range from what I've heard? Obviously we'll be going through and clear out the super hard chew toys we have lying around and probably buy a few "puppy bones" for her :rofl:

cuz she cute

PXL_20210401_214011353-01.jpeg

Personally, I'd go for the extractions.

As you alluded to, she should be able to eat just fine I would think; and she's probably not hitting any bite sleeves hardcore so I bet she'll get by without those teeth just fine. Poor thing. Scary to think this can happen!

I'm not hitting any sleeves either, so a little while back I went for extractions of the two rearmost upper molars. This, after having a root canal on one of them (the only one that I knew needed help) but uninformed me didn't realize what a multi-step hassle of a process the whole thing is, what with a crown fitting and crown installation and all the crap. They had to remove a lot of tooth to do the root canal, and I put off the subsequent procedures so after the pain and expense the root-canaled tooth got pulled.

I share that just to warn you that there might be a lot to a root canal in addition to the expense.

Poor Ruby. If the two molars are opposing then I don't see any point in root canal of one, plus extraction would be less hassle all around. I imagine there would have to multiple times under anaesthetic for root canal too.

She get that from chewing on bones?

I suspect. We don't have any cute stuffed toys for the dogs because Rubie will swallow parts so it's just hard things lying around. Some are very, very dense so those have been tossed and she will probably not get too many raw meaty bones in the future. In lieu of blanket sucking, she self soothes by chewing the heck of the hardest thing nearby :facepalm:

So sorry you (and Rubie) have to go through this! Asha won't touch plastic or rubber chews, so she only gets Bully Sticks or raw Beef Ribs. I'd read never to give them weight bearing bones (any leg bones or hooves), so it's raw ribs only. I'm still paranoid about those, especially when I read stories like this one.

Is ice being able to crack a dog tooth a thing? It would not seem so, but in the back of my mind seems to be that thought – that I have heard that a couple times.

Well, Dingo had her surgery yesterday! Teeth stuff kinda eeks me out so I haven't dared to take a look but one upper and one lower molar on her left side came out. She was REALLY out of it when I picked her up. I kinda liken it to those video's you see of kids/teens who've had had their wisdom teeth out. She was disoriented and VERY chatty... I shouldn't laugh but it was kind of funny. She didn't seem to be able to walk in a straight line until about 8p last night and wasn't interested in food until about 7p.

When we got home, I had her on-leash in the backyard and she kinda just stumbled out to a sunny spot (it was 84F yesterday!), flopped over on her back and just closed her eyes and enjoyed the sun on her stomach for a minute :rofl: front teeth and tiny tongue sticking out.

Then she found her spot on the couch and was happy to lie around for a few hours.

PXL_20210427_221730656.NIGHT.jpg

I got really irritated because I hadn't heard anything from the vet by 3:30p yesterday (I dropped her off at 7:15a) and they always say they'll call after surgery to let you know how it went. I ended up calling them and they're like, Oh, yeah, she's all good!

And then I get there and they're going through after care and they drop the "She should really eat just soft food for a week." I get that you can soak kibble to soften it but why are you telling me at 4:30p when I pick her up that my dog needs a weeks worth of soft food!? Luckily we have a little excess raw patties so she's more than happy to have just those but if those weren't available, I would've felt like I needed to stop and buy a bunch of sh*t on my way home with her in my car totally out of it in 80+ degree weather.

Maybe it's on me for not asking more questions ahead of time...

Anywho, she seemed much more herself this morning! Luckily it's a cool rainy day today so she can still take it easy.

She should really eat just soft food for a week.
You could totally soak her kibble in warm water and it will be very soft! Mine get theirs soaked every day to make it easily digestible, plus they get supplements so it turns into a nice slurry.

Sweet Rubie soaking up the sun! Glad its all over and done with!

You could totally soak her kibble in warm water and it will be very soft! Mine get theirs soaked every day to make it easily digestible, plus they get supplements so it turns into a nice slurry.

Sweet Rubie soaking up the sun! Glad its all over and done with!

Oh, you are totally right! It was just like frustration over not being called when she was out of surgery because of course I was just staring at the clock and stressing all day. Totally irrational on my part :rofl:

Oh, you are totally right! It was just like frustration over not being called when she was out of surgery because of course I was just staring at the clock and stressing all day. Totally irrational on my part :rofl:
Hahaha I tooootally understand that! A big oversight on their part and it would make me a bit irritated too!! 😤

So glad to hear Rubie has got through her unpleasant sounding surgery, I hope the healing process goes well and will soon be able to eat normally :thumbsup2:.

Aww Rubie looks so snoozy there. Glad to hear it went well. I agree, I'd be annoyed by lack of contact/information coming through, but I'm pretty overbearing and my vet knows it haha. Regarding the kibble soaking, if you really wanted to be extra cautious, you could also put the soaked kibble through a blender to make it into a kibble smoothie.

Aww Rubie looks so snoozy there. Glad to hear it went well. I agree, I'd be annoyed by lack of contact/information coming through, but I'm pretty overbearing and my vet knows it haha. Regarding the kibble soaking, if you really wanted to be extra cautious, you could also put the soaked kibble through a blender to make it into a kibble smoothie.

I'm not sure if she would enjoy a kibble smoothy?? Or that I would enjoy blending it :rofl:

BUT we may find out... I noticed that the swap to 100% raw patties has her a little backed-up. I have 1/2 C of kibble soaking now for her midday snack to hopefully keep things moving.

@Ddski5 I'm not sure how I missed that! I'm so sorry!

Dingo is back to her good old self! We had our derby party Saturday and then were outside for a while on Sunday. It was 84F both days but breezy and we have plenty of shade in the back yard. Even still, both dogs has a little less Giddy Up in rat class last night but I'm sure the busy weekend was why.

Rubie went in for a check up this morning. They said the top 'hole' looks great and is healing beautifully!

The bottom 'hole' is a little more challenging because it's a HUGE tooth and a bigger hole. Apparently there is also much less gum tissue to stitch closed, I'm told? They said there is some 'stuff' in there, like food wise, but it's not unusual nor bad looking. Another week of Antibiotics and another trip next Tuesday to make sure it's looking good.

Someone in our barn hunt class just had a tooth extracted from their dog and had the exact same issue. She said they just wrapped up their 3rd week of antibiotics but it did end up healing just fine.

We'll continue with soft food for another week, which was the plan, anyway. All hard chews have been put away for the time being.

Honestly, I can't handle teeth stuff so I haven't looked :green:

So far all this has cost about $1100; insurance has covered 90% of it (because we reached our deductible!).

Back