Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Too late to post ears?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by petsandlove, Jul 31, 2020.

1. petsandlove

petsandlove Novitiate

I purchased a doberman whose ears have started to fold inwards. She's 11 months old and has been out of posts for 1 month. Is it too late to repost her ears? Sometimes she holds them straighter than others. This photo is pretty straight for her. She is usually more relaxed with her ears.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota!

I would definitely keep posting since it looks like they're mostly done but just need more time, like many pups do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Relaxed or flopped? Dobermans can manipulate their ears in many different positions.

4. petsandlove

petsandlove Novitiate

They are flopped sometimes. How much longer should I post? I didn't know a person could post up until this age. Do you recommend the backer rod method?

5. petsandlove

petsandlove Novitiate

Thank you for the warming welcome Jan S! =)

6. petsandlove

petsandlove Novitiate

I haven't taped in years and have somewhat refreshed my memory on Youtube. How long should one leave a post up before changing? I cannot recall how long a single post is left up before changing again. Thank you for your help.

7. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I haven't posted ears in years so I'd rather you get some expert advice from some of these other people. So many on here have done a great job! I'll tag a few...

@JanS. @GennyB @Tropicalbri's @Ddski5

Check out our puppy section too. Lots of good advice and video.

8. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's something you have to play by ear but many of us have had to post well beyond a year.
    And yes, most of us prefer the backer rod method.
    It's usually 3 or 4 days, then only take them out long enough to clean and dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Damn that’s a pretty Doberman. She has a lot of black/darkness on her face.

Can you post a pict of what you refer to as flopped? And other picts of how she holds her ears?

It really looks like she may have a little bit of pocket issues that is causing a slight t-pee effect but when I look closer it may not be. It may be that the tips are just curling inwards thus shifting weight towards midline.

Be me??? I would backerod post consistently for two weeks straight and then recheck.

Post stay in 3-5 days and ONLY allow them out for about 1hour to clean and air out- NO LONGER THAN 1hr. Please.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Keep posting. You have come this far and you don’t want to lose ground. Posting with backer rod works really well.

I changed my twins posts every 3 days because they played so rough. You could do 4-5 days between changing.

I would remove posts and clean their ears, then let them dry about 10-15min. then repost.
    I premade my posts so they were ready to go when I changed them out.
    Pups get restless easily so being tired ahead of time helps and some extra treats to distract and make it enjoyable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I would keep posting. Hard to say how long cause dog is different.
    And YES on the backer rod method. Sure there are plenty of methods out there but IMHO backer rod gives the best looking results.

• Agree Agree x 1