• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Too attached?

Dobiedad148

So every Monday my wife and Zelda go to obedience. There are three other dogs in the class. Our girl does really well and stays focused on my wife and is progressing nicely. The trainer likes to use Zelda for demonstrating lessons, but anytime she tries to takes the leash Zelda fights like crazy to get back to my wife. She loves the instructor and is friendly to the other owners, she just doesn’t want anything to do with anyone but my wife handling her. To me this seems normal, and honestly the only person besides me and the kids I want the talk taking commands from is my wife. The trainer says she is too attached and would benefit from the occasional day care or boarding when we go away as opposed to taking her with us. Does this sound right or is the trainer just embarrassed that my dog doesn’t respond to her?

I am an Obedience Instructor. I have never had an issue taking any breed from it's owner in class, with one reversed exception. My Euro Dobe, Dauntless, would become visibly upset even when someone she knew at the dog club would take her leash. As long as I was within her range of vision she would stay with them but ignore them, whine and pace until she could get back to me. In order to get her CGC she needed to be held by a friendly stranger while I was out of sight for 3 minutes. The first time she tested she passed everything except that, she practically dragged the poor guy across the room to go find me, so of course she failed. Every time I would work on this with her she would choke herself trying to get away from whoever had her to find me. It took a full year to get her to the point where she could remain calm enough for me to be able to leave for that 3 minutes. It was a little embarrassing for me as an Instructor that my dog of all the dogs that I trained couldn't seem to get past this! It took a year, as I said, but I never gave up, she got her CGC and now if I need to hand her off to someone she cooperates. Other owners on here my have different experiences to share with you. I would not board her or put her in day care as a solution for this issue as it may stress her even more. The only thing I can say is don't give up! Start working on this by handing Zelda off to someone else, but have them stay within a foot or two. Once she can be calm at that distance start extending it to 3 or 4 feet. Always repeat the process until she is comfortable with the distance and then up it. It can be frustrating but it will be worth the effort!

Welcome from Wisconsin! :ntmy:

Agree with @Firestar Dobe - these dogs were made to be personal protection dogs, and you have to remember the "personal" part. Not a yard dog or a junk yard dog, they really want to be by your side! Mine did the same thing for her CGC on the 3 minute out of sight test. She passed but training up to it was at first pulling and whining and got up to test day where she stood riveted to the spot where I went out of sight. She's your family dog and I think it's fine for her to stay that way. You don't say how old she is - if she's a young dog, lots will change with maturity. It IS good to work at this though, again, like stated above, little steps. Absolutely no boarding or day care for this reason only.

Welcome from New Mexico

She turns 6 months old in 2 days. She definitely is responding to her training and is learning. She does ok on the leash, knows sit, we’ve got stay down to where we can turn our back and take about 8 steps before she breaks. I’m scared to death to try her off leash though, I’m afraid she will get away from me and get into the road. We are planning a vacation in September, and unfortunately she is going to have to be boarded then. Thanks for all the advice so far!

She turns 6 months old in 2 days. She definitely is responding to her training and is learning. She does ok on the leash, knows sit, we’ve got stay down to where we can turn our back and take about 8 steps before she breaks. I’m scared to death to try her off leash though, I’m afraid she will get away from me and get into the road. We are planning a vacation in September, and unfortunately she is going to have to be boarded then. Thanks for all the advice so far!
I agree with all the above advice. If you will be forced to board her in September then hopefully you can quickly get her to accept someone kind and understanding handling her. If the boarding facility does have daycare too you could possibly explain the problem to them and see if you could have her in daycare for short sessions until she becomes more confident you will return for her. Suddenly going into boarding with no conditioning might cause ongoing problems in the future.

You're doing great for 6 months! She will come around. It won't hurt at all to practice "handing her off" for short lessons while you watch from close by. We have to do this sometimes in everyday life - think of going to the vets, and the days of lockdown where you would hand the dog off from the car for them to take inside. It's just good training. If you aren't familiar with the CGC test, look up some videos on You tube. It's just basically good manners around public situations. Keep up the good work!

Agree with @Firestar Dobe - these dogs were made to be personal protection dogs, and you have to remember the "personal" part. Not a yard dog or a junk yard dog, they really want to be by your side! Mine did the same thing for her CGC on the 3 minute out of sight test. She passed but training up to it was at first pulling and whining and got up to test day where she stood riveted to the spot where I went out of sight. She's your family dog and I think it's fine for her to stay that way. You don't say how old she is - if she's a young dog, lots will change with maturity. It IS good to work at this though, again, like stated above, little steps. Absolutely no boarding or day care for this reason only.

Welcome from New Mexico
It's really very Doberman for them to be attached like glue to their owners and family. ;) I like that about them. ;) I know it's not always convenient though! :facepalm:rofl

Back