• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

To microchip, or not - A rescue story

TrinityDobes

Novitiate
I have just had a horrible scare - and thought I would share it with the members here.

I have had some conflict over whether or not to continue microchipping, as there is a report of injection site tumors (small percentage, but still more than one) at the injection site between the shoulder blades. I jumped on the microchip bandwagon from the very beginning because after working in rescue, I realized that just cause you had someone SS# or Drivers liscense number tatoo'd on the inside of a dogs hind leg - did not mean you could find the person associated with the tatoo. Also there were some dobes that came into the shelter or picked up by animal control that you just were not getting laid down and rolled over on their back to even see if there was a tatoo, much less be able to read it.

Well after this past week, I am on board with taking the risk of possible injection site tumor.

I got a call, Wednesday evening - checked caller id and did not recognize the number, almost did not pick up the telephone, and something said - take the call. I am so glad I did.

The gentleman identified himself as Jessee with Harbor Animal Control and Safety in San Pedro California and he had one of my pups - Trinity's New York New York. I immediately ask when had Jake been turned in = this afternoon, and I asked who turned him in = we can't tell you that. I then asked then how did you find me? was it his micro-chip? and he said Yes!!!

They scanned him after being dropped off, got the number called Home Again, Home Again checked the data base and ther owner information, and the 2nd point of contact had been deleted from their system (I always put myself down as the 2nd point of contact on the registration form) Home Again said they could give Jessee the name and number of the vet that implanted the microchip because that information cannot be deleted by the person registering the dog.

Thank God I still use the same vet for over 20 years, I think I have 3 or 4 files 3 inches thick *LOL* and they gave Jessee my name and phone number as Jakes breeder. I was over joyed that he found me - pissed as hell that his owner dropped him at a shelter instead of contact me, and I had to try and spring my baby from jail. I have to tell you I am forever grateful to Jessee at the Harbor Animal Shelter for going the extra mile and pushing til he got a name and number for someone associated with Jake - I am not sure other shelters would have done the same. I truly am grateful for the microchip and this shelter worker tracking me down.

Jake was co-owned by my long time girl friend and fellow doberman breeder and a gentleman by the name of Sidney Long. Jake lived with Sidney, and his kids and was to be trained in obedience, shown in ukc and iabca and BH to evaluate workability - Sidney was an FBI agent and had K9 schutzhund training experience. He had excellent references, he was FBI for cripes sake, My GF had tried to stay in contact but about this time last year is the last time she had been able to reach Jakes Co-Owner by telephone or text. Telephone calls have not been returned - since jake being abandoned at the shelter they have exchanged some heated text messages (cowardly FBI man) he is in breach of contract - but the most important thing now was to spring Jake from jail. We had 10 days to get him out of jail.

Thats the good news, the bad news is that, because Jake was not neutered and we could not prove he had been licensed in LA county, we had to purchase Jake a dog license - which cost $400!!!!! I nearly had a stroke - it might as well have been $4000 dollars!!!

Through the gracious generosity of new friends on the west coast - Jake receive a loan of the funds to "bail" him out of jail!! Our own DCF forum member 2Dobies - Susan is going to foster Jake for me and his good co-owner, THANK you Cribbs family - they picked Jake up this morning. Paws crossed he remains a good boy, settles in, and we can find him a new forever home after Susan and Michael have had a chance to evaluate him for me and my GF.

here is Jake's Jail house booking photo
jAKE AT THE SHELTER.jpg

So the moral of this story is - I will continue to micro chip and I will register them all to me in the future - with the owners as the 2nd point of contact!!

And one other thing - in the future, don't be so quick to ask why don't breeders rescue their dogs when they end up in shelters? - If the shelter personnel are not as diligent as Jesse was, I would have NEVER know my puppy ended up in a shelter - until the rescue pulled him and scanned him and then raked me over the coals for having one of my pups end up in rescue. This has been a very sobering event for me - I did everything right, checked references, had a contract, tried to keep in touch - yet it all means nothin if the owner has no morals or ethics.

I am glad he did what he did to find you. And I am also so glad he got his get out of pup jail card. Best of luck to Jake to find his forever home! And Thank you to 2dobes for helping this pretty boy

Wow!! So glad you were able to bail him out of jail. I have always microchipped for this reason too. But you are right, unless you are told one of your babies has been relinquished to a shelter, how in the world would you know beforehand? Especially when across the other side of the country?

Glad this has a good ending though...well so far anyway, his journey is not quite over. :)

Oh Gail I am so happy for both you and Jake, wow Thank God
for Jessee . Thank God for 2Dobies as well, Best of Luck to you,
Jake and 2Dobies, what a great ending for a story that could
have been horrible.:ty:for sharing this and making people
aware of how important this is.

OMG! So glad they contacted you and you were able to get him out. So scary. Thank you 2Dobies for fostering this boy! I wonder if the FBI would care to know that one of their agents is an :moon:. I know the military takes contract breaks very seriously.

omg YES, everyone here, listen up, have returned 2 strays from this and have my kid on it. Had a stray on xmas am(pre 6am) and they answered with a human and we kept him only about a 1 hour till he was home. HIGHLY recommend, they were there for him and gf, anything happens with my kid(idiot) they have us covered too! Gail, is there anything we can do from here to help, one more at my house won't make a difference so can he come here in the time being?
maybe has to go home but this can be a rest stop? Let me know.

Phew! That was a close call! Certainly makes me think again about getting Hans chipped. $400 for a dog licence??? :mad: That's criminal! The unaltered licence in Maine is $11. Neutered is $6.
Huge thanks to Jesse, 2Dobes, and the Cribbs family!!!!

Wow...why would anyone drop a beautiful animal like that at a shelter when there is a breeder willing to make sure they are rehomed???? So glad it was at a shelter where they were willing to work so hard to find you!!!!

WOW. I can't believe anyone could drop off a handsome boy like that to rot in a shelter. Especially when the breeder is more than willing to take him back. His owner is such a turd.

I wanted to let everyone know that Jake is doing great. He is a wonderful dog with a great temperment. He is great with kids and other animals and he has had some training, to what extent we will try and determine. How anyone could abandon a beautiful dog like this is beyond us.

Rescuing Jake was something we were happy to do, Gail and his co-owner we consider friends and Jake is Leia's half uncle, so it was like taking in family. Once we got him home he ran around the yard like he was the happiest dog on the earth, and when it came time to go to bed he went in his crate and didn't make a peep all night. Michael has been out playing with him all morning so who knows we may eventually become 4dobies. :) But however things turn out Jake will be well cared for and loved again like he deserves.

Jake getting the stink of jail off.

IMG_0007.jpg

Jake

IMG_0028.jpg

Jake and Dex getting to know each other.

IMG_0029.jpg

Heartwarming story Gail. You care about your dogs! :ty:

When Monica asked me what I would prefer tatoo or microchip I contacted my vet. She gave me a good answer: "If you want to have your dog identified everywhere in NA a microchip is the best option". I have chosen a microchip and Monica decided to add tatto (#7 :)).

OMG... Jake is so handsome boy. Somebody will get really lucky to have him!

So Gail, What was his reasoning in the heated messages, for dropping the dog off at the shelter?

@ Dale the reason he gave my GF/&Jakes co-owner is that he had 3 dogs and could only keep 1 so the sold/gave away both his dobes and kept his sons boxer. He also said that Jake had a severe mite coat infection, and IBS, and he was medically too expensive for him to be bothered with any more. Time will tell about both of these issues - he did have diarrhea when bailed out of Jail - but that could be stress and cheap animal shelter food. - 2dobies knows about pumpkin and will assess if he truly has IBS or whethe that was a lie - in the photo and in person - my GF said his coat looked good - so we are not sure what he meant by the coat mites??

@ Jess - Seeing as how Pissed I was, I was all for sending a letter of grievance to the local FBI office about sidney's breach of contract, but my GF is a kinder, gentler nature - and believes in not sending a bunc of negative energy out into the universe that could boomerang and come back on you (I admire this trait in her - but I am still pissed, but working on finding the light *LOL*).

Dog Licenses - for those of you paying attention to all the stuff I keep posting about BSL - almost all of them have language addressing special licenses, and fees for intact animals - it was just this type of language that slipped past the dog owners in LA County - because they did not thing BSL affected them. NOW for anyone with show dogs, whether they are breeding or not - old enough to be bred or not, they are subject to this exhorbenant YEARLY Dog License fee. This is why I keep posting this stuff - we need to be diligent and stop BSL legislation, especially those with vague language subject to interpretation. Sometimes it seems so reasonable, Surely limiting ownership to 50 dogs is doable by anyone, that language is the hook, to get you to support the legislation - but the real danger will be the language buried further down in the bill.

@ 2dobies(susan/cribbs family) Thank you for those photos - and it looks like he is pretty calm and settled, his body does not look tense and his expression does not appear to be worried! This is a wonderful start, and thank you again for being the safe harbor and helf way house for my JailBird *grin*

@ Dale the reason he gave my GF/&Jakes co-owner is that he had 3 dogs and could only keep 1 so the sold/gave away both his dobes and kept his sons boxer. He also said that Jake had a severe mite coat infection, and IBS, and he was medically too expensive for him to be bothered with any more. Time will tell about both of these issues - he did have diarrhea when bailed out of Jail - but that could be stress and cheap animal shelter food. - 2dobies knows about pumpkin and will assess if he truly has IBS or whethe that was a lie - in the photo and in person - my GF said his coat looked good - so we are not sure what he meant by the coat mites??

@ Jess - Seeing as how Pissed I was, I was all for sending a letter of grievance to the local FBI office about sidney's breach of contract, but my GF is a kinder, gentler nature - and believes in not sending a bunc of negative energy out into the universe that could boomerang and come back on you (I admire this trait in her - but I am still pissed, but working on finding the light *LOL*).

Dog Licenses - for those of you paying attention to all the stuff I keep posting about BSL - almost all of them have language addressing special licenses, and fees for intact animals - it was just this type of language that slipped past the dog owners in LA County - because they did not thing BSL affected them. NOW for anyone with show dogs, whether they are breeding or not - old enough to be bred or not, they are subject to this exhorbenant YEARLY Dog License fee. This is why I keep posting this stuff - we need to be diligent and stop BSL legislation, especially those with vague language subject to interpretation. Sometimes it seems so reasonable, Surely limiting ownership to 50 dogs is doable by anyone, that language is the hook, to get you to support the legislation - but the real danger will be the language buried further down in the bill.

@ 2dobies(susan/cribbs family) Thank you for those photos - and it looks like he is pretty calm and settled, his body does not look tense and his expression does not appear to be worried! This is a wonderful start, and thank you again for being the safe harbor and helf way house for my JailBird *grin*

From what I understand he also claimed Jake did not get along with children, that we disproved yesterday as he gets along great with our boys as well as other animals. His coat is beautiful and thick with no signs of any type of infestation. I doubt if he has IBS since he was able to sleep peacefully in his crate all night and has shown no signs of dicomfort. We will take him to our Vet. in the next couple days just to get a full check up on him to insure he is in the best of health. He weighed 78lbs yesterday and we think he could put on another 7 or 8 pounds of muscle, his musculature is not as solid as Dex or Leia's which leads us to believe he hasn't been given a lot of exercise recently. But he is so energetic we don't see any problems with getting him back into top shape.
I think he's pretty happy right now, he does the excited dance everytime we go out to play with him :)
He's taking a little snooze in his crate right now, but we plan on taking all three Dobies for a walk today as soon as the sun decides to poke its head out.

I'm glad you microchipped! People are, unfortunately, unreliable.

He has such a sweet face and looks like such a good boy (especially in his "what is it you're doing to me?" bath picture!)

Elka has a microchip. And is registered in the AKC Companion Animal Return program (which only would work, I'd think, if she got lost with her tags still on). Her license here is only $7.50, though. If she wasn't spayed, it would be $14 or something. $400 is ridiculous!

From what I understand he also claimed Jake did not get along with children, that we disproved yesterday as he gets along great with our boys as well as other animals. His coat is beautiful and thick with no signs of any type of infestation. I doubt if he has IBS since he was able to sleep peacefully in his crate all night and has shown no signs of dicomfort. We will take him to our Vet. in the next couple days just to get a full check up on him to insure he is in the best of health. He weighed 78lbs yesterday and we think he could put on another 7 or 8 pounds of muscle, his musculature is not as solid as Dex or Leia's which leads us to believe he hasn't been given a lot of exercise recently. But he is so energetic we don't see any problems with getting him back into top shape.
I think he's pretty happy right now, he does the excited dance everytime we go out to play with him :)
He's taking a little snooze in his crate right now, but we plan on taking all three Dobies for a walk today as soon as the sun decides to poke its head out.
Maybe you should ask the moderators if they can change your nic to 3dobes if you keep Jake hehehe

This is great news and I will keep my paws crossed that everything proceeds well. I know he comes from great lines with super temperaments - but once they leave your hands there are so many things environmentally that could adversly affect a dog - I am keeping all paws crossed here things continue to be all positive.

- I think the guy was an idiot, and I think he was making things up to justify what he did - and in my book nothing will ever justify what he did - nothing.

This is great news and I will keep my paws crossed that everything proceeds well. I know he comes from great lines with super temperaments - but once they leave your hands there are so many things environmentally that could adversly affect a dog - I am keeping all paws crossed here things continue to be all positive.

- I think the guy was an idiot, and I think he was making things up to justify what he did - and in my book nothing will ever justify what he did - nothing.
I agree Gail, I told someone a while back that I know money is tight and hard. However, they would have to pry my 3 boys out of my cold dead hands. If they need vet care I will do the best I can.. But, when I get a baby they are with me until they cross the bridge. That is my promise to them.. I have had people ask me what I am going to do with Damon when I retire him as a SD.. I say well he can be a couch spud or just be a therapy dog. He blazed into my life and stole my heart and has worked so hard so when it is his time to retire. I will make sure his life is cushy and soft.
I don't think anything can justify what he did .. He didn't sell his dobes he dumped them. Makes me wonder what happened to the other dobe! I for one would want proof where it went too.

WOW so called they got hold of you gail. What an idiot the FBI guy is.

Thanks 2 dobies for looking after this gorgeous boy

Back