Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Thoughts on Lure Coursing??

Discussion in 'Schutzhund and Ring Sports' started by Ddski5, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ragnar loves to run wide open more than any other animal I have ever owned. Toungue flapping and just flat out getting it.....

I researched and made contact with local AKC and they said the nearest is in Biloxi, Ms 2hrs away.

Curious to know what your thoughts/experiences are in this.

What do you know of making your own lure course equipment?

I read that one can get a high end remote control car, take shell off and put a stuff rabbit/squirrel on top and run it... interesting because this would be highly mobile, running it anywhere-anytime. thoughts?

Love to watch this beast run....

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

OMG, I would love to be able to make my own continuous loop/ coursing machine. I've watched videos of how some made them, and seems like sourcing what's needed can be a PITA.

I've considered the RC car also, but I think it would need to go at least 30mph. The only problem I see with that is, it would get hot. At the end of the run, they need to be able to catch the quarry or the game gets boring.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  3. obbanner

obbanner $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I belong to an informal group that sets up 200 - 300 yard courses. If the dog enjoys it, it's a lot of fun. I did it with Cooper and Anna. Cooper loved it and would start singing as we were driving in to the course. Anna didn't like chasing the rabbit, but she loved chasing Cooper. Since it was informal, they got got a good run.

I bought a $20 slip lead for him to make his release easy.

I haven't done it in two years, so I'm not current. There were Facebook groups for lure coursing discussion.

Please let us know how your car works out - it sounds like a good idea.

Word of caution - use a safe surface to prevent leg injuries. Dobies are big, strong dogs, but they're surprisingly fragile.

Cooper-Run1b.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

My housemate and Reckless (her Dutch Shepherd) go to them - never had to train because Reckless has crazy crazy prey drive and she stays really fit because she never stops moving. LOL. She was just shown the plastic bag on the machine and when she was released she went after it. There's a CAT that goes in a circle and you can be the releaser and the catcher. The other CAT is a straight-away and is shorter. You need one person to release and another for the catch. Use the search on this Forum, there's a whole thread about it. I plan to take Asha when she's older. Usually the groups that put them on are sight-hound people. True Lure Coursing is different than AKC FAST CAT. Oh, and Reckless got a clock at 27.3 mph! :thumbsup: Another google search you can find AKC Cat lists by breed and their mph's.

5. Panama

Joker LOVES FastCat. I can't wait to let Diva run. I think she'd smoke it! But...... she's not quite 8 mo yet, and they have to be at least 12 mo for a recorded run.

6. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Search for FastCat (two words didn't work for me) and you'll get the longer thread and some great pictures from @Panama - here's Reckless from Lobo Photography:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Image 1-24-20 at 6.13 PM.jpg

• Wow x 3
  8. Panama

Proof that dogs CAN fly!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Awesome! I’ve wanted to take my boys to a fast cat but the closest ones are several hours away.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I think it’s an ideal activity for Dobermans. Bonus for you is that your season for this will probably last all year long whereas ours is very short due to our longer winters. I agree on checking FB for groups that organize these runs. Agree with Ravenbird, in addition to sight hound, gaze hound is another term to look for.

My issue with an RC car is that the dog will paw slap it when he catches it. Drones are another option, it can’t be paw slapped if you’re fast enough lol, but there are so many regulations around where you can fly them.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

If you do a DIY course you will want to make sure its a couple hundred yards, otherwise the speed and fast turns is not considered safe for a large dog (above 12" at the withers I believe is the breakdown) Too small of a course greatly increases the chance for leg injuries. You can do short courses if they are straight runs.

Go for it though! It requires pretty much no training. Tell them you are new and having him watch a run is all its gonna take. He will turn into a balistic animal so have a good grip lol. Im sure he will have a blast running his heart out and you will too seeing him run.

Java loved it and got her CA title in just two meets. This was 6 years ago! I found a vid of her final leg for her title with the comments:

"Java's final leg to her CA title. We did Barn Hunt before her run and this course was much longer than what she's run before...so you can see at the verrryy end she was like "OMG wheeeewww" and was feeling it. The beginning also cracks me up since the lure was jigging a little, so Java thinking she was a smart cookie, bobbed and weaved a bit anticipating the change of direction of the "bunny" and looking like a bit of a fool."

I think this was 1,000yds when she did 600 for her other two legs. Its not much, this was before nice cameras so she quickly turns into a brown dot lol.

FB_IMG_1579979712744.jpg

2 hours really isnt unheard of for meets. In UKC you only need 3 passing runs for a title. We finished ours at UKC Premier which is about 90 min away.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Wow x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  12. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My hubs is going to build one for Roatán. They are expensive to buy but we downloaded specs and diagram on building one. I would make sure the pulleys are of good quality and a good motor and cables controlling it. I can’t wait to get moved and have fun with it.
    Bogie LOVES Lure coursing, he is such a speed demon but I have to drive 4 hrs to get to a course on the mainland. It increases the prey drive.
    The hardest part for me was holding him until it was his turn. The whining, squirming, jumping of anticipation is huge with this breed. They take off like a bullet and sometimes they will cheat and cut corners when after the lure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tropicalbri's

Just make sure the RC car doesn’t scare the crap out of your boy. I think I traumatized my two with the RC truck hubs bought. They were not sure what to make of it. I suppose if I had put an iguana (stuffed) on it then it would have been different.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Both Stryker and Yago loved coursing! They would be embarrassing. We could not even let see the course. They would bark and bark non stop.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Tropicalbri's

Also the turns should be gradual so they don’t snap a leg trying to turn. Placement of the pulleys is crucial to make it safe for them in that aspect.

16. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Search "best RC cars for dogs to chase"......look for a site called Dog N Treats.

We have a "Stampede" RC...got it after DH thought it would be funny to let the boys chase a RC truck......problem was he took out his prize 2500 Ram replica...Mo didn't want anything t do with it....Bam got it third trip out...and pounced on it so hard he cracked the cab and snapped a wheel off it.
    Being able to run it thru tall grass makes it more of a challenge for Bam.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

We drove 5 hours to take Reckless to that meet and it was worth every penny of driving, eating out and hotel just to watch that dog have So.Much.Fun!!! This dog was my motivation to get my Doberman puppy.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I've just had another look at coursing opportunities here in Australia and although there is a club in my state, it is about a 12 hr drive....................however, they have a really interesting coursing carnival in June over 3 days, so I just might head on down to check it out and ask questions. Maybe they know of something closer to home or maybe we can make a pilgrimage once in a while to give Jazz some fun! Thankyou all for re inspiring me to look at it again! Those pics are just brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  20. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Seriously, no training is needed if they will chase prey - and don't we know that Jazzie will... LOL. There is no need to "win" - just your dog having fun and getting to do what they (most of them) love to do. With permission!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1