Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Thoughts on ear crop?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by HakuTheDoberman, May 14, 2019.

1. HakuTheDoberman

HakuTheDoberman New Member

Hi guys so my baby has his ears done on May 2nd and I’m happy with how they turned out. But now that they have almost healed and are coming off the side of his posts I’m worried if there is too much bell? I’ve only had a natural eared Dobe so not familiar how the ear may change a bit with growth and posting but I’ve seen a lot of examples of “bad crops” or dobes that turn out to look more like “bats” aha so just wanting some opinions. Is this a good size bell and if you think you have a similar crop to what my puppy has what does your dog look like now?:) thanks in advance !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

It actually looks like my boys crop. I happen to love it, best part is his ears stood pretty quick. I think we brought him home at 12 weeks in September already cropped and we finished in December.

goofer dog.jpg
    gotta lick my chops.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. HakuTheDoberman

What a handsome boy! They do look similar yes and I’m glad it the bell amount looks good!:) glad it stood quick I hope the same goes for our boy, although I’m mentally prepared to post for as long as needed

• Like Like x 2
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Looking at him from the front, he doesn't have too much bell. Nice and clean on the side. Bart has a little more bell then Joker does, but they suit him.

2-9c.jpg 2-9b.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

My boy has A LOT of bell. Looks very similar if yet the same amount as your Dobie!
    I couldn't be happier with his ears, and I also think all the bell helped with the posting process in getting them to stand quicker & easier keeping the actual posts in.
    The only probably I have with all of the bell is it's hard to slip off his martingale collar, but that's not a big deal! :wacky:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

How they look when they are a puppy can sometimes be deceiving. They have to grown in to those ears. Here is Blaze as a puppy and now at 2 1/2 years old.
    0426FCB9-E76F-4FBA-B8B3-AEA452901034.jpeg 55AE381B-595D-49B9-B71B-2A6B1F574F8F.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

It will suit him just fine.

It’s funny how a Doberman will grow into his ears and it works out perfect.

They look great to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. HakuTheDoberman

Thanks everyone! Your dobes are very handsome and look great! Thanks for your opinions I love him and his ears and are I’m excited to see him grow into them! I’ll keep updating his progress!

9. Alexaraee93

Alexaraee93 New Member

his crop is great!!!!!! they will look beautiful!!!!

10. HakuTheDoberman

Thanks!!:) we are going tomorrow to get his post/foam replaced and probably his stitches out too. Will get to see how his ears stand when they take the old one off (only for a short moment aha)

11. HakuTheDoberman

Just a question guys does this seem not normal? He’s got a large scab that seems a bit swollen on the top of one ear. Does it look like it might get infected? Going to the vet tomorrow but wanna have a little piece if mind that I’ve been doing the right thing when it comes to ear care :(

Attached Files:

12. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

To me it looks like a scab came off and just needs a bit of a cleaning. Does it smell at all? It doesn’t look overly inflamed around it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yeah, that doesn't look problematic to me.

14. HakuTheDoberman

No no smells or puss just scabby was just concerned cause it’s the only scab that started too swell a bit

15. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

I remember worrying about the healing process. Looks completely normal to me from my experience! Hope that gives you some piece of mind :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HakuTheDoberman

It does ! Aha thank you!:)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

20190506_054828.jpg our guy has A LOT of bell haha but we still think he looks handsome. Honestly though he definitely looked like a bat as a puppy until he started to grow into them:rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HakuTheDoberman

Ahha that’s cute in his own way but he’s grown into them nicely very handsome!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  19. HakuTheDoberman

Update! Got back from the vet and he got stitches out and his foam off! Waiting for his last few scans to heal (at the tips) and then posting time for this guy! Here’s some pictures as well as one of our car trip there aha

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  20. HakuTheDoberman

Scabs * not scans aha

• Funny Funny x 1