• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Those That Kill But Won’t Correct

I have seen these methods used in the working dog world, but never together. The handlers are very aware of what is going on and are NEVER out to hurt their dogs. They do it because sometimes it is the only way to get a dog under control and save a dog's life, like in the video. I'm like this guy, I believe in balanced training involving appropriate use of positive and corrective methods. Correction isn't always pretty but it is never used lightly by good trainers.

There is a rescue here called Hand Me Down Doberman that will not use anything but buckle collars and harnesses with the dogs in the rescue. They wonder why EVERY dog in their foster homes has a behavior problem of one kind or another that they cannot correct.

I just don't understand dog owners that don't use forceful corrections when needed. Personally I use forceful corrections about 5% of the time and positive corrections 95% of the time and this only applies for the initial "break in" month or so with a new dog. Once the dog understands who's the leader you rarely need to do forceful corrections.

I have a friend that thinks I'm a monster because I was a little aggressive with her dog. The dog was completely out of control he had broken 2 screen doors at my house and was proceeding to scratch up my doors. All I did was raise my voice and firmly say NO! The dog had a stunned look on his face and immediately stopped acting crazy. Unfortunately within 15 seconds she started rewarding the dog with treats again because she thought I was mean. After that night she wouldn't talk to me for a couple of months.

About 6 months ago this woman got a new boyfriend and invited us over to their place for dinner. Guess who's dog was now wearing a pinch collar and compression shirt? Apparently the new boyfriend put up with the positive only treat garbage for about 2 days then went out and bought the pinch collar and compression shirt. ;-) The dog is completely different now and 10x more behaved.

shadash when you say compression shirt....are you talking about those anti anxiety thunder shirts? Side bar...do those actually work to keep a dog calm?

Honestly I can't see any reason for anyone to be upset by that video. They dog never even yelped. The trainer was always calm and clear about his message to the dog. The dog responded by displaying his growing trust for the trainer. If that video upset some then they need to grow up because they are not capable of dealing with with real life. I wonder how they survive on their own.

How could anyone feel that was cruel when the alternative was to put the dog down. That is inconsistent thinking.

Good job training and redirecting. Dogs can move past it people won't let themselves learn and grow. Somedays I like dogs far more than people.

Honestly I can't see any reason for anyone to be upset by that video. They dog never even yelped. The trainer was always calm and clear about his message to the dog. The dog responded by displaying his growing trust for the trainer. If that video upset some then they need to grow up because they are not capable of dealing with with real life. I wonder how they survive on their own.

I also watched the video and am wondering what is there to protest? My second dog, OB, was dog aggressive and I used much stronger techniques on him to break him of dog aggression. He went on to get his CD and was working on his CDX when injured, and never had an incident at a dog show or class after our little heart to heart chat. (A dog-aggressive dog will never pass the CD group exercises and may not even be allowed in the ring.)

I'd like to point out the first four minutes of the video are instructive for those who go to dog parks. Watch how Nacho never breaks eye contact and the wagging of the tail. I never allow my dogs to make eye contact with other dogs because I don't want them to provoke an incident. If I see another dog making eye contact, I try to keep my distance.

I wondered about the arrogance of the shelter employee with one years experience who complained. The less people know, the more they think they know. I've been training and showing my dogs off and on for thirty years and the more I train, the more I realize I know so little.

The less people know, the more they think they know. I've been training and showing my dogs off and on for thirty years and the more I train, the more I realize I know so little.

So true OB about the time we think we know it all a new dog comes along and shows us just how little we really know and how much more we could learn if we just would open our minds and our hearts.

You can't have it both ways - either we train people how to work with these dogs our we KILL them. Which do you prefer???

shadash when you say compression shirt....are you talking about those anti anxiety thunder shirts? Side bar...do those actually work to keep a dog calm?
Compression shirts work like magic. I have no idea why they work but it definately made a difference with my friends dog.

I couldn't watch the video for some reason but guess the corrections weren't that harsh from the comments posted here. The "positive" only people are being hypocritical if they think death is kinder than a few corrections.

One commentor said they train aggressive dogs and only use positive reinforcement...I would love to see their videos because I am skeptical. Some dogs could care less about treats or toys or even praise...Also, it confuses me too because we all know dogs correct each other on a regular basis starting with the mother and her puppies and the puppies with each other. That is what dogs understand. Another commentor said they will only train dogs that respond to positive training only...my guess would be that is the case for the "trainer" of the aggressive dogs too.

I saw nothing wrong with the video. Nacho is very smart, to catch on so quickly.
He had the behavior for a while, and finally got someone to show him how to behave. Good job!

Back