Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

The right food for Blue Dobies

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by prace87, Jun 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. prace87

prace87 Novitiate

Hi All,

I am expecting 2 new additions to my household, boy and girl from the same litter, in a couple of week and I want to make sure they are on the right food for their skin as I understand the Blues can have skin issues. I have read several posts here about folks using Fromms and that is definitely a contender but wanted to check in with this group to see what the thoughts are on Freeze - Dried Raw, brands like Dr Marty's, Dr Tim's, etc. What are thoughts on ancient grains vs other types of grains in kibble?

Maybe I am just overthinking this as I am prone to do. I research everything to death and end up with too much information and confused. LOL

My new fur babies will be on the breeder's kibble until I get them used to their new surroundings but plan to switch them to their new food at that time whatever that may be.

Thanks in advance for all replies! Cassie and Abbott will be most grateful.

2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Minnesota! :welcome:

Wow are you going to have your hands full with 2 litter mates. ;)

Fromm is a good food and I've heard the TOTW ancient grains is pretty good as well.

I'm not real familiar with freeze dried foods since I've only tried it once and it took forever to hydrate compared to what the package said.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Freeze dried really doesn’t rehydrate like dehydrated food. You can feed freeze dried raw to them with or without water.

I used to use Stella and Chewy’s freeze dried as treats for the twins but yikes the cost to feed as a meal would be way more expensive than their raw food.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I feed Nature's Logic as it is still grain free with no starches or legumes.

Has your breeder warned you about littermate syndrome? Most reputable breeders won't let littermates go to the same home. It's a TON of work and not easily done. Just ask @Tropicalbri's

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

My blue girl is on Fromm gold and canadia. Pre and probiotic powder, and organic bone broth. Occasional raw egg, sardines, salmon, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. luckybeemer

luckybeemer Member

I started feeding my pup Darwin's frozen raw once she got over her very rocky start. She then stopped eating that (roughly 4 months later) and since I wanted to feed raw, but wasn't quite ready to prepare it myself I fed Primal freeze dried (rotating the proteins) from December until now. Just after her 1st birthday May 25th I transitioned her to Victor Nutra Pro All life stages. Victor was recommended by a breeder as well as a friend. So far she is eating this well as long as she has some "topper" added. I am sure I am as guilty as my husband for creating a picky eater. All that to say, Victor, Darwins, primal freeze dried and Honest kitchen were highly rated/recommend.

• Informative Informative x 1