1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

The Institute of Canine Biology The Doberman is in Serious Trouble

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by Apollo's Dobermom, Mar 12, 2017.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

It is heart wrenching... I truly believe this: Genetic introgressions <cross-breeding> with similar dogs may be required, but such outcrossing must be based on sound genetic knowledge and careful monitoring of new diversity to see that it is not lost by backcrossing or contained to only a fraction of the breed."

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WiglWerm

The only hope for this breed is the initiation of a sound, comprehensive cross-breeding program, under the guidance of population geneticists, that will introduce new genetic diversity into the breed. The longer it takes to begin genetic rescue, the more difficult it will be and the less likely it is to be successful.

AGREE AGREE AGREE

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I found out that Oji's breeder has started using a DNA test that supposedly can indicate how similar two dogs are to each other. An example of the a result they shared with me was surprising – that two particular littermates were farther apart than them and a somewhat more distant relative.

I can try to look up the name what they are using.

4. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

From the article

DCM is fatal. The heart fails, sometimes in the absence of any symptoms of a problem, and the dog simply drops dead - in the middle of a game of fetch, during a run on an agility course, or while the family is away during the day at work and school. Most dogs die in their prime and even younger.

:(

I think a good start would be the breeders cut the snobbery towards one another and start crossing lines that won't be crossed with things the way they are now.
    Sure there will always be the ignorant breeder just throwing two dogs together because theyre male and female but before we start out breeding with blood of some other breed how about working together rather than the snarky ways of today and years gone by?

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Oh Little Oji

The thought of introducing a different breed to the Doberman's lines is undesirable. Maybe I'm idealistic and naive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

What I have seen a lot of is breeders having their own bitch and breeding her to various sires who are up for stud or have semen available. Is this not crossing lines pretty well?

7. WiglWerm

Undesirable...yes....inevitable for the continuation of the breed... very likely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Then one wonders: Who will do this? Seems it would have to be extremely carefully done, or you'll have everyone starting to mix in the chosen breed. I guess it could be attempted to be controlled via registration?

9. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

10. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've read this :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I could actually see how mixing outside breeds in could work. Ideal? No. But, neither is the breed dying out, quite literally. But it would require extreme dedication and knowledge to work.

That said - at times I'm glad Kaizer is mixed, simply because it does, in theory, lessen his risk of some issues. However I could see serious issues arising from numerous mixes of his sort appearing on the market, mostly due to the inconsistency in size and temperament. It's dangerous enough when someone has an out of control doberman, but it would be that much more dangerous to have an out of control dog that acts like a doberman, but with double the size.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. WiglWerm

It would take someone with a lot of time and A LOT of Money...more of a team really. I would think a geneticist would be invaluable. As well as finding a VERY knowledgeable breeder of dobermans that was willing to overlook the utter backlash that is inevitable with this kind of venture. Who is brave enough to save our beloved breed...:(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Just to throw into the mix. Working with a Dobe rescue. I have seen some of these Dobes that were not from great breeders have long lives of over 10yrs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

The Dalmatian had to do and is doing something similar for their urinary stone issues in the breed. No dalmatian is free of the gene that carries the disease so they have to outcross to pointers. You can't tell the difference between a pure Dalmatian and one that has pointer in its pedigree. You can read the history of it here...its quite interesting.
    http://www.luadalmatians.com/History.html

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Oh Little Oji

Oh man. It's just such a sensitive thing. We all want to believe that our purebred Doberman Pinschers, and Dobermann Pinschers are pure. Pure as the driving snow. That's what it's all about – we own a pure specimen of the breed we so admire.

I don't know about you, but the thought of adding in some foreign breed repulses me to a certain degree.

But, again, I may be idealistic and naive.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Drogon

Drogon Hot Topics Subscriber

I just received Drogon's test kit for DCM1 & 2. Even if you have never considered breeding your Dobe, I think everyone should have theirs tested. If it comes up clear/clear - consider breeding.
    One of the guys at training has a male IPO3 Dobe who is clear / clear. I think he imported him from Belgium. I believe there must be enough clear clear Dobes to keep the breed 'pure' if there's a coordinated effort to breed out the DCM genes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oh Little Oji

So, what think you all? Which breed(s) should be introduced?

What about German Pinscher? (but I don't want to add in smaller size).

The Manchester Terrier is in the Dobe's makeup. How about this? (again, small size)

What about Beauceron?

Really, (not to make your head swell, @Regalis ) but what about adding in a small amount of Rottweiler?

18. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I get it, but by the same token you have to remember that Dobies are not a particularly old breed and one that is made up of various other breeds. I think so long as they stick to breeds that are known/highly believed to be a part of making the doberman in the beginning, it's ok. Especially if it means stabilizing and protecting our beloved breed of goobers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I think adding in SMALL amounts of Rott would be ok. Granted, I'm biased and think my boy is great. But I also realize I likely just got very lucky with him turning out the way he has thus far. But on the flip of that, seeing as though he is already the size of an adult dobie at 8 months, I can really see how his size could be, well, bad. He's for all intents and purposes a dobie on steroids. I cringe to think of where his litter mates ended up, Especially since it was 12 males and one female.