The Adventures of K'eyush and Sherpa - Brushing Teeth

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber
Over the past few months, a new "trend" on my YouTube video list has emerged. Quite interesting, even if the primary breed is not Dobies, but "Husk-a-Mutes" (part Alaskan Husky and part Malamute). These two Husk-a-mutes are "K'eyush the Stunt Dog" and "Sherpa." And, just for you @Viemarangelrock, both are UK based (Sherpa in Cornwall, I think). But both are very prolific YouTube stars. Sherpa is 10-11y/o at this point, and K'eyush is 4 years younger. Sherpa is the brown haired one and K'eyush is the dark grey haired one. Sherpa is 50% Husky & 50% Malamute. K'eyush is roughly 85% Husky and 15% Malamute.

I'll link some other videos of "K'ey" and Sherpa shortly. They are hilariously done and their owners offer the dogs' "commentaries" as the videos progress. You'll see. But this one caught my eye in particular. It shows K'eyush's owner Jodie, attempting to brush K'ey's teeth with what looks like a "finger toothbrush" and with toothpaste made for dogs (from the vet). When raising Mr. Spock, I had always wondered how i could brush his teeth. I think we always left it up to the "Milkbone" dog biscuits to take care of that. But it wasn't totally effective.

Would you attempt to brush your dobie's teeth like this?

BTW, a few pointers on interpreting K'ey's language -

1. "Fluff" - The "F" Bomb :D
  2. "Hecking" - "F***ing" (See #1) :D
  3. "Vroom" - Automobile (most likely, the vehicle carrying Sherpa)
  4. "Waffs" - Waffles - K'ey loves to eat waffles with "dog safe" ingredients
  5. "OMD" - "Oh my Dog!"
Enjoy!

Viemarangelrock

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
What beautiful dogs :love:

I’ve just caught up on a couple of the videos and yes, Sherpa lives in Cornwall. He’s posted a few videos of them both on Bodmin Moor (approximately 50 miles from me)
The videos remind me of Tucker Budzyn the Golden Retriever from Michigan who’s got quite the following on social media.

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber

I’ve just caught up on a couple of the videos and yes, Sherpa lives in Cornwall. He’s posted a few videos of them both on Bodmin Moor (approximately 50 miles from me)
The videos remind me of Tucker Budzyn the Golden Retriever from Michigan who’s got quite the following on social media.

I have seen some of Tucker's videos... Like so:

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
They are cute dogs. I once thought a put getting a malamute, but decided the white fluffy fur would be too much of a headache to live with.

Those finger tooth brushes stink though. I got a long handle tooth brush that has soft bristles much like a human tooth brush.

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber
They are cute dogs. I once thought a put getting a malamute, but decided the white fluffy fur would be too much of a headache to live with.

Which is why I'd be sticking with a Dobie and/or Black Lab. Far less trauma in re: shedding. When I first moved to Florida, I rented a guy's house who had a 8 y/o Strawberry Golden Retriever. As much as I loved that dog, I could not have one live with me permanently, as the hair shed would be way too much.

Those finger tooth brushes stink though. I got a long handle tooth brush that has soft bristles much like a human tooth brush.

Would an original "Oral-B" be sufficiently soft? It's the softest one I know for humans. I also would be a little squeamish about brushing with a finger brush. Wouldn't want to lose my own... :D

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Which is why I'd be sticking with a Dobie and/or Black Lab. Far less trauma in re: shedding. When I first moved to Florida, I rented a guy's house who had a 8 y/o Strawberry Golden Retriever. As much as I loved that dog, I could not have one live with me permanently, as the hair shed would be way too much.

Would an original "Oral-B" be sufficiently soft? It's the softest one I know for humans. I also would be a little squeamish about brushing with a finger brush. Wouldn't want to lose my own... :D

Sure! I bet that may even be a bit softer than the brush I use thats made for dogs. I really get in there and was worried about the bristles irritating his gums. Sometimes I heat it up under hot water to get the bristles to flex more. You could probably find a human tooth brush that is soft- like a kids brush.

This is what I use. $5

0CF13BA1-2496-4380-A652-2884439B8D26.png

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber
Sure! I bet that may even be a bit softer than the brush I use thats made for dogs. I really get in there and was worried about the bristles irritating his gums. Sometimes I heat it up under hot water to get the bristles to flex more. You could probably find a human tooth brush that is soft- like a kids brush.

That's what worried me as well. Mr. Spock's gums were way too sensitive. I could not brush his teeth with a brush without drawing blood. I gave up on it.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber

This is what I use. $5

View attachment 115726
I use the same ones! Came in a pack of like 10 for cheap which is nice for multiple animals to each have their own (the cats get theirs done too lol). I use some enzymatic toothpaste. Before shows I scale the teeth with dental picks of anything that gets missed. There's a nice little pocket in the back molar on the side that is perfect for trapping food!

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber

If my read of the details on K'ey''s YouTube page is correct, he is based in Brixham (or, at least, Jodie maintains a PO Box there). Which would then explain the long drives Jamie and Sherpa have to make to visit him. I wish I knew where that enclosed field is that they go to to let them play, although I suspect it's a bit closer to Brixham than Cornwall.

Viemarangelrock

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Wow, that’s quite a drive for a meet up!

Cornwall is flooded with great dog enclosed areas. It’s quite the little money maker for farmers to make a good buck on enclosed land. We pay up to £10 an hour for an enclosed field. You book slots online and I can tell ya, the slots get filled pretty quickly.

DD4MSpock

Hot Topics Subscriber
This is today's entry for Sherpa. I'd be interested in comments for those of you who own horses on how Sherpa and Jamie might deal with this issue in the future. This would be the first part of this video. The other parts are more daily fare within their lives so not much exciting there (new curtains for the house and an update on fixing Jamie's "Vroom.") :D