Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Thank the Good Lord for Trainers!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by MelonJ, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MelonJ

MelonJ Member

Crossing my fingers and knocking on wood bc DeSoto has finally stopped howling and screaming and digging in his crate! *faints*

It appears he just wasn’t in his crate enough, much to our surprise! It felt like he was constantly in there, but nope. He was overly-tired and aroused and was not getting his beauty rest even though he seemingly slept all day. I also believe the calmness training our dog trainer is having us do is working his mind so much that it wears him out to be doing nothing and not trying to engage everyone at his will. This combine with covering the crate (which we previously had little success with) to avoid visual overstimulation has kept him quiet. It’s like a Christmas miracle! :woot:

...Now if we can just get him to stop whining incessantly for his food when he hears his food container pop open or sees me in the kitchen during mealtime... :rofl:

...baby steps, Melinda.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow x 1
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's exactly what I was going to say. He's still a baby and since he's progressing, it's going to keep getting better if you're consistent. You're finding things that work along the way so it's great you're experimenting.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow, an overtired Doberman is about as bad as an unexercised Doberman. Glad to see it’s started to improve!

4. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

It took me a while to work out that quite often the problem was an overtired pup in the early days. Had to find the "off" switch! :rofl: Just like an over wound toddler.