1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Testing Testing Read all about it.

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by McGuyver, Mar 30, 2009.

1. McGuyver

McGuyver New Member

So I got the test results back today. The Thyroid panels are clear and that makes me very happy since I have two others that have Thyroid issues already. The test from Cornell University for vWD says she is a carrier and falls in the normal ranges for a Doberman. The eye exam from last weekend was good and passed all aspects for a 1.5 yr old dog. The EKG came back clear and so did the ultrasound, we go back in a few months for X-rays for her hips. He feels very confident that her hips will be just fine but none the less we will take the extra steps to make sure.

I’m very excited that she seems to be a very healthy little girl. I just thought I would share the good news.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

FANTASTIC!!! So glad all her results are coming back good.

3. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

What wonderful news McGuyver. Taht's great.

4. Silent

Silent Novitiate

Congrats!
    I would have done the vetgen DNA vWD test. Dogs that were tested with the elisa test have come back many times to have different results when the DNA test is done.

5. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

There does seem to be quite an overlap in results with the assay test.

6. Silent

Silent Novitiate

A defective gene produces between 0-49% vwf, normal gene produces 50% (50% per gene). Two normal genes together can produce 100%.

It makes sense if you consider that one normal gene produces 50% and one abnormal gene produces 0-49%, lets say it produces 30% as example...

Two defective genes could in theory still produce 30+% each for a total of 60+% which would seem like one normal (50%) and one defective (10%).

The average defective gene is said to produce 5%, but since it is a leaky gene the same gene can produce more or less at different times.

I think this is why the majority of dna 'affected' are not clinical bleeders. They can still have 2 defective copies of the gene and produce enough vwf to not be clinical.

7. MaddoxDobes

MaddoxDobes Member

Good to hear. Thank you for testing!

8. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm glad to hear things are looking good.
    It's always reassuring to know where you stand. :)

9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We all love to hear good news! Happy for ya! :SwinginStar: