Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Testing Ears Between Postings??

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by mdavis23, Dec 28, 2018.

1. mdavis23

mdavis23 New Member

I’m picking up my Doberman puppy soon and I’ve been reading up on posting methods and tips.
    I’ve heard from one breeder that you should “test” the ear’s strength (leave them unposted for as long as they stand on their own) in between posting in order to see how the ears are progressing and possibly strengthen them.
    However, another kennel has suggested that you should consistently post the ears and not test them as consistent posting will be better for the ears.
    What did you guys do? Should I test his ears or post them consistently? Also, how long did you post your dobe’s ears until they stood on their own?
    Thanks!

2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Post consistently, take off posts, clean ears, let them air dry 15min. some do longer like an hour but I always reposted immediately. Allowing them to stand and then flop puts you back. It’s like a broken arm, you don’t remove the cast to test the strength of the arm. You keep it casted until the break has knitted itself to sufficient strength to be deemed healed. It’s a known fact that teething will reduce the calcium needed by the ears to stand so the posting must be done through the teething (6-7mo., longer if crop is a long crop) period.
    Why risk them not standing or having to post longer by letting them stay out of posts for long periods. It wasn’t worth the risk for me. My male was done after 7mo. My female took 10mo.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Steveh0429

Steveh0429 Hot Topics Subscriber

4. Steveh0429

Steveh0429 Hot Topics Subscriber

Tape off, check ears and margins, tape back on until teeth come in. 4 dobies all good, trust me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hey there! I wouldn't do much testing, really. I've gone through three Doberman's ear posting processes. I must admit that with this current one, I saw that his ears were standing after not that many postings and I left them unposted for like the day. I took him to a vet appointment, walking him there for part of the trip, and letting him ride in the stroller with my daughter for part of the trip. I took a pic of it and posted it to my breeder's F'book page. The breeder commented that I ought to be careful about doing that, as whatever sag I was seeing then was what I was going to wind up with. It's also possible that they would have fallen. I believe that any sagging and bouncing they do before the cartilage is hardened serves to delay or prevent them hardening in a suitable upright state.

I know that even after the recommended 6 or 7 month period, you have to test them out, and that can be a worry. At that point, you need to observe them closely and get them back into posts right away if you observe excessive sagging or bouncing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Post consistently until they are at least done teething (6-8 months). That's the minimum to be posting anyways. You can start "testing" to see if they are done posting after they are done teething, but as mentioned a few times before, every time it flops, you're putting yourself back. I was very lucky with Bane - he was done posting at 6.5 months. It was thunderstorming for 3 days straight so I kept his posts out since it was impossible to keep them dry. They stood for the entire 3 days, and till today, still standing beautifully. He does have a medium crop though, so didn't need as much time. I know others who have show crops and they are still posting at 10 months!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Oh Little Oji

That reminds me: I stopped posting Oji because the duct tape that I was allowing to contact the inside of the ears was causing the presence of a clear moisture, indicating a reaction or irritation. I left the ears unposted in response, and thankfully and awesomely, he was done posting. Oji has thin ear leather and a medium crop. I wish I had noted his age when done posting; but I think it was about 6 months. Teething was done, or nearly done, so maybe it was 7 months? I know he had a problem with retained canine teeth

• Wow x 1
  8. mdavis23

mdavis23 New Member

Thanks! I’m new to the forum and it’s really nice to have fellow Doberman owners that have knowledge and experience. Really appreciate it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that you don't want to leave them down to test until they're at least 6 months old or more. Sleeping on them is the worst and of course teething is really the time it will take the toll on the ears.

Wait, you have stroller photos of Oji you haven't shared with us????? :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I was going to ask this too! He’s holding out on us! :tap:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Oh Little Oji

Ha! Nice. Actually I did share them at the time, I believe. They're probably in Random Photo somewhere. I guess it would be about four years ago.