Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Teeth

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Gpcoguy, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Rose is almost 5 mo. old and getting her adult teeth. Her top canines are coming in but her puppy teeth haven't fallen out. The new ones are growing in next to them. Is that normal? KIMG0199.jpg

2. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

Is the puppy tooth loose? I know our guy had one puppy tooth that wanted to hang on even after the new one was coming in but it was very lose and even turned black before it finally gave up and fell out. My friend that is a vet tech told me to keep an eye on it and wait to see if it started to cause issues. She did say sometimes it can be a reason to bring the puppy in and they might pull it but after a week or so Reds puppy tooth finally fell out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Yes her puppy teeth are loose

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lizbeli

Lizbeli $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes that is normal. Once the adult tooth pushes some more the baby tooth should come out. However, it is possible to have a retained tooth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gpcoguy

Gpcoguy Jr Member

Thanks guys

6. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I believe you will want that extracted if it doesn't come out by 6 months. Give her things to chew on to help encourage it to come out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

The adult canine will push it out in time. Very common to have happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I'd have to look back at my notes, but Asha had one canine that stayed for a couple of weeks into her 6th month. It finally fell out, but it had me worried for a while. Somewhere in my internet searches I read not to pull without x-rays proving that it would not come out on its own, that more damage can be done to position of the permanent tooth by pulling the baby tooth out prematurely. For you, at 5 months, no worries at all.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Boris had 2 that finally had to be extracted when he was just over 7 months since they weren't loose at all by that time.

• Like Like x 1