Teaching kids about dog respect

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
This was in our local paper this morning. It's too bad more schools wouldn't do this.
Side note, but no wonder I couldn't get in to see our vet yesterday since this is him in the article.

Learning to be careful with dogs
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 6:00 am
556fb11251208.image.jpg

Learning to be careful with dogs
Veterinarian Technician LuAnn Sunsdahl shows a youngster how to safely pet her Irish wolfhound Liam during Safety Town Tuesday at Greenhaven Elementary.

by Tony Potter Staff Writer[email protected]

HIBBING — Dogs are commonly referred to as man’s best friend, but that doesn’t mean that they always want to be touched by people.

If a person tries to pet a dog that is scared or angry, it may growl, nip or even bite the person, Veterinarian David Kalinowski told the 4 to 7-year-olds who attended Safety Town Tuesday.

“You need to ask the owner for permission before you touch a dog,” he said. “If you do and they say yes, then it’s OK. But if they say no, respect that.”

The kids learned that ears and eyes of happy dogs are usually relaxed and their tongues might hang out like they’re smiling. They were also taught that angry dogs tend to show their teeth, wrinkle their noses and growl, while scared dogs typically shake in fear.

“Dogs don’t talk,” Kalinowski said. “They have their own language, body language. You all need to know this because we want to enjoy dogs safely.”

That’s why it’s important to teach dogs commands such as sit or lay down.

“So you can help them avoid something that’s dangerous to both them and people,” Kalinowski said. “And be sure to tell an adult if a dog growls, snaps or bites you.”

The kids also learned a safe way to pet dogs. With the help of Liam the Irish wolfhound, Kalinowski told them to first make a fist and let the dog sniff it. The dog is giving you the OK to pet him or her if he doesn’t display an act of aggression, he said.
Original source:
http://www.hibbingmn.com/news/local...cle_248b3ef0-0a5d-11e5-bc20-bf1f415c6a8d.html

Oh how I wish all parents would teach this to their children. I took my pup for a walk around the block one morning that happened to coincide with kids waiting for a school bus. One of the girls about 8yrs old ran up to my dog and lunged forward to pet him. As puppies will do, he jumped back a little and nipped toward her hand. He didn't make contact, just nipped the air. Her Mom was standing there and proceeds to alert all the kids not to pet my dog because he just tried to bite my daughter. One of the girls was my neighbor across the street. She said "No that's Drogon. He's a nice doggie"
I felt like confronting her and explaining that if her daughter would have been taught how to approach a dog that wouldn't have happened but I just wanted to continue walking my puppy.

One of the girls about 8yrs old ran up to my dog and lunged forward to pet him. As puppies will do, he jumped back a little and nipped toward her hand. He didn't make contact, just nipped the air. Her Mom was standing there and proceeds to alert all the kids not to pet my dog because he just tried to bite my daughter.
That is so annoying and of course it's always the dog who gets blamed.
I felt like confronting her and explaining that if her daughter would have been taught how to approach a dog that wouldn't have happened but I just wanted to continue walking my puppy.
Honestly she does need to know that because her daughter might do that with the wrong dog some day and it could end up bad.

I am a huge advocate of teaching my son how to treat animals in general. I have no tolerance for children that do not treat animals well. I have told a child that was being rough with mom's dog she could not touch the dog because she didn't know how to be gentle. Her mom jumped in and started defending her daughter. I looked at her and cut her off real quick. I told her that her daughter would be able to pet the dog had she taught her to be gentle with her own dog. She got really mad but that was that. Daughter threw a temper tantrum and I told the mother maybe she should take her kid and get her under control. I got dark and dirty looks from her mom but she took her daughter and left. After promising her some ice cream. I always had felt bad for there dog because the little girl would bully there dachshund. Poor dog was living in fear of the girl.....

Well most of you already know how I feel about this subject. For those that don't "Never let am opportunity to teach get by you"
Everybody would be safer if we took the couple of seconds to say a few words.
Kudos to your vet @JanS for taking the time.

The only thing that would have made the article better (in my opinion ;) ) was if the child in the photo was petting the dog under the chin. :) I realize that after meeting the dog, pats on the top of the head happen. But just for the article, it would have been great to show it being done in the proper way to greet a dog for the first time. Otherwise, I love this and wish it was taught everywhere! :D

Back