• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Swollen toe

HakuTheDoberman

Notable member
hey, so last night we noticed our boy has been licking his one foot a lot and noticed that right near his one toe nail is swollen and red. We just went camping so he was digging and playing a lot but it this a large concern? Should I go to the vet or wait a bit. ( I don’t mind going but it’s its something that will heal in time on its own then I’ll take it aha) no limping he has been whining a bit more recently though

Attachments

• 320AE0E6-21A0-4FE8-A9E4-072FA78F5C0B.jpeg
    320AE0E6-21A0-4FE8-A9E4-072FA78F5C0B.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 31
I haven’t seen digging cause this, but Kaiser isn’t a big time digger. I’d think their paws could handle that though. I can see licking cause a lot of damage though because they can do that obsessively if you let them. If you hear him making those yucky slurping sounds, tell him to leave it.

Re that red spot. I might be tempted to let it dry out and heal on its own, but that’s assuming nothing is stuck in there?

I haven’t seen digging cause this, but Kaiser isn’t a big time digger. I’d think their paws could handle that though. I can see licking cause a lot of damage though because they can do that obsessively if you let them. If you hear him making those yucky slurping sounds, tell him to leave it.

Re that red spot. I might be tempted to let it dry out and heal on its own, but that’s assuming nothing is stuck in there?

Ya not sure what caused it but thought maybe he did something while camping. We only noticed cause he was licking it. Not excessively and slurping either aha just lightly lighting the paw it’s on. I’ve tried to look around and move the nail a bit to see if maybe something got under it but can’t see anything. :( keeping an eye on it but Dosent seem any worse then last night when we noticed it

Rubie had a swollen nail bed a bit ago. Didn't really seem to bother her, but she would lick it so it looked quite angry. I think I brushed it with the dremmel (when she kicked like a psycho, in my defense!). It disappeared after a couple days and with some Vetericyn a couple of times a day and stopping her from bothering it. If you can get him to stop licking it and the swelling doesn't go down, never hurts to have a vet check it, for sure.

It might be a splinter from all his digging? They are very hard to spot. If you find anything (have a good root around) try to remove it with tweezers. Don’t force it though. It must only be taken out gently. It could be embedded deep between his toes.
Do you have an Elizabethan collar? To stop him licking it.
I would keep my eye very closely on it for the next day or so and if you see any change (for the worse) take him to your vet. It might be a bacterial infection. If he had any open wounds, grazes or a minor injury they can harbour bacteria or other causes of infection.

Back