1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Suppliments for better growth and for cropped ears

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Drogo, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Drogo is 10 months today
    I check his weight every week.last Monday he was 51.80 lbs
    And since then as I check his weight today after 10 days it's still 51.80lbs
    He is currently on Royal canine gonna change tommorow to farmina low grain
    Doc says he will be about 65lbs not more than that
    I think that is very low as his parents are larger than him
    SO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON FOOD AND SUPPLIMENTS.

and as well his ears are cropped his ears stand but curve a little. not at 90degree though
    Currently started posting again
    As per doc I'm giving him glucosamine
    FOR THIS ALSO ANY SUPPLIMENTS ?
    I know i have been asking this a lot and this is the 3rd time asking it here but as in getting many opinions it's difficult whom to listen to and what do.

The last image is just for comparison purpose

Attached Files:

2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Go to Dog Food Advisor online and choose an All Life Stages food that they rate 4 - 5 stars. Drogo looks a little on the light side, but better too light than too fat. If he's happy and playful and not sickly, he's probably a typical growing pup and will likely fill out between 1 & 2 years of age. If he's quite active feed him more.

3. Drogo

Drogo New Member

Changed today to farmina a 5 star food
    But what about the supplements
    And the major issue is his ears standing but curving out

4. Logan 45

Logan 45 Member

I wouldn’t sweat it to much my male gained 20lbs in year 2 so he could very well still get up 75-85lbs. And the other thing to consider is genetics play a big part in things but it’s not 100% breeding cows something I’m experienced in for example you can have a bull who is double black double polled so in theory his offspring should be black with no horns. This isn’t a 100% though say you breed this bull to a Hereford cow with horns at that point your likely to get a calf that’s called a black baldy black with a white face and depending how far the horns go back on the moms side you very well could end up with horns as well. A little off base and maybe a bad example but breeding isn’t an exact science your dogs father could be 95lbs and his mother 75lbs pretty standard in size but if one of the grandparents was on the smaller end of standard size although this gene might be recessive it very well could impact the size of your dog.

5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Some people give Vit. C to help ears. I would use NOW Brand. 500mg per day. But usually they give to puppies after cropping.
    Also I think Farmina is a lot better food.

[​IMG]

Also Glucosamine & Chondroitin 1 Capsule per day.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. NamVetJoe

NamVetJoe Notable member

Raw egg shell and all

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hi there.

65 lbs. would be unusually light for an adult male Doberman. I bet your veterinarian is wrong with his estimate.

If we go by the old (unscientific) maxim that Dobes weigh about 20 lbs. at 20 weeks, and 30 lbs. at 30 weeks, and 40 lbs. at 40 weeks (the age your Dobe is now) then he is ahead of the curve!

Ten days without weight gain and I can see where you'd start to wonder, but it happens. It's not a smooth gain curve.

Believe me, if I knew of a supplement that helps dogs grow bigger, I would have invested in it. I have an unusually light adult male Doberman – about 70 lbs (maybe 70 - 75. I haven't weighed him in a long time) at 28" height at the withers.

I think that basically, a dog is going to be the size that it is going to be. I would save your money and skip trying to buy a supplement to increase his growth and size.

As for an ear supplement: I have heard Vitamin C recommended here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Also one major thing! I would NOT Neuter until 18-24 months or even not at all. And if I was I would look into a vasectomy instead of the traditional neuter. These are very important hormones that are needed for muscle and bone growth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Regarding the ears curving, I’d take out the bridge and continue taping. And also tape the tips of the ears or they won’t stand straight but have a small curl at the tips.

Have you looked into a raw diet?
    If he’s on a high rated food just try upping his portions, don’t strictly follow the feeding guide.

My boy is turning 7 months and is probably around 65 pounds so you saying your dog is 50 pounds does seem light.. but he also doesn’t look that light ( could use a few more pounds yes but doesn’t look starved ) how old is the dog in the comparison photo?

• Agree Agree x 1