1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Supplements for Working Dogs?

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by ArdynBane, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ArdynBane

ArdynBane New Member

Since Bane and I started IPO training, I noticed he's been having a tough time keeping on weight.

He's very lean... very. I can see a few bumps of his spine on his back, all of his ribs, and this is when he is just standing. My former trainer said for working dogs, I should only see the last two ribs, but I see them all for him.

I feed him raw and he is only 70lbs right now. He was being fed 2lbs a day previously, and he was deemed "fit" by my vet. Due to working and him losing weight, I upped it to 2.5lbs a day, which is more than the 3% guideline for raw feeding dogs that are working, but he is still struggling on keeping his weight.

Should I try supplements? I'm one of those "if you have a balanced diet, you don't need supplements" but I know he is being fed raw correctly (Been raw feeding for 7 years), more than enough amounts for his weight, and he isn't being over-exercised at all. Got a vet check-up and he is in great health, literally just his weight.

If you guys do support supplements or even those with working dogs, what would you recommend or feed for a working dog?

2. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

I feed my dude 2.5 pounds of raw a day and have a hard time keeping weight on him with his activity level. I just bought this Muscle Builder & Performance

When it comes in I plan on adding it to his diet. The trainer I go to uses it with all his working dogs with great results. They also have a mass gainer product.

3. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My boy gets much more then 2.5 pounds a day. He’s highly active and gets min 3-4 pounds daily. We also do IPO. My female who also does IPO gets 4 pounds daily.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antman408

Antman408 $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

5. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

When I was feeding raw and doing IPO with my last boy he was getting 5-6lbs daily. He was 85lbs.

• Wow x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I am not a raw feeder, but I thought it was a certain % of their IDEAL weight that should be fed when trying to put some healthy weight on. (???)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I would feed more before supplementing.

We do not feed raw but I had to up my Dobermans daily feeding when we got a puppy. Just the additional activity of keeping up with a puppy caused her to loose some weight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Drogon

Drogon $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

That's just a guideline. It has to depend on calories in Vs calories out. A more active dog burns more calories and would require more food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How old is Bane? How tall at the shoulders? What kind of lines is he from – show or working or what?

My mature male is a full 28" and just over 70 lbs. He's from working lines. I do see ribs and spine pretty commonly. He's in fine shape. Part of the reason I see spine is his incorrect hip angulation, I believe. It gives him an arch to part of the back. Part of why his is such a lightweight is he is quite narrow in the chest.

What about yours?

10. ArdynBane

ArdynBane New Member

Bane just turned a year old this month, so he still has some maturing to do! Hes about 27" inches at the withers and last time I weighed him (He was a little underweight), was 70lbs. I would assume right now he should be at least 72 or 73 lbs now since I have been feeding him more and he has gained a little. Still see his spine and his ribs as you mentioned seeing with yours though.

Been talking with other raw feeders and working dog owners and everyone's saying different things. Some say feed pancreas as it helps absorb the food better into their gut, feed higher calorie meats like beef, or feed more.

11. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We supplement with Vertex at each meal

12. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes you can add Pancreas and also Tripe

Try adding Rx Vitamins for Pets Rx Zyme for Dogs & Cats - Help Gastrointestinal Discomfort - Add to Food - will help break down food so it can be absorbed better.

Rx Zyme Powder by Rx Vitamins for Pets could potentially act to maintain optimal digestive function in dogs and cats. Every serving of Rx Zyme Powder provides digestive enzymes like lipase‚ protease‚ and amylase that may work to break down fats‚ proteins‚ and carbohydrates. As a result‚ this product may help address certain symptoms associated with gastrointestinal discomfort‚ including mild constipation‚ bloating‚ or gas. In addition‚ these enzymes may work to encourage the digestion of essential nutrients.

[​IMG]