Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Doberman Chat Announcements' started by FredC, Mar 29, 2009.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

After spending Friday and Saturday trying to catch up on doberman-chat a few things keep jumping out at me. 1st there are two distinct sides on this forum. One is an element coming in from other boards.
    While i don't care or mind that we are constantly being compared to another forum that has been around for years and has had plenty of time to mature into what it is today - which is a vast and almost endless source for doberman enthusiasts. In all honesty its actually an honor to be compared daily to the giant in doberman forums. Each board has there own unique pluses and negatives. Seriously if you don't like the people here or can't follow the rules we have in place you are more then welcome to leave.

On another note if you do enjoy doberman-chat.com we appreciate your loyalty. But and this is a big one we are all equals here and i believe we all have something to offer. And we all need to keep in mind that this is no more then a gathering place of passionate individuals. Some of us need to check our egos at the door, and others seriously just need to find a better fit.

Doberman chat was not intended to be a safe haven for BYB's or any other unethical treatment of a live K9 with feelings. With that being said myself and the staff also believe that we can educate without the attitude.
    For example a member recently has removed herself from posting here since one of her posts was edited. Understandable, but I would have edited that post myself as she decided to ask a question that was intended to get peoples panties in a bunch. She also knew the answer to the question she raised - that is called trolling and is against the rules. Personally i don't think the rules are that difficult to understand or follow. But what do i know

Another thing, this board does not take sides to moderate effectivly - we have to make decisions based on our own personal perspective. Believe it or not it is sometimes difficult to make these decisions, so we have to look at the bigger picture and decide what is best for the forum as a whole. I know we are doing something right as both sides have the same argument, so I'm assuming we are doing a pretty decent job at being fair. considering either side is happy. ;)

So here is your chance to speak out, i am open to ideas that may improve the DC experience for everyone. This is your forum so of course your ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

Final thought this is your opportunity to be a part of a few solutions around here. I know alot of you are unhappy with our abilities to moderate to everyone's standards, so if you cant be a part of the solution at least try not to be a part of the problem ;)

• Like Like x 13
  2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

From a 'newbie' point of view:

I'm no spring chicken, have only recently gotten my high speed (and lovin it!) and this is my first Forum, of any type! So I cannot do much comparing to other boards but I've felt pretty good about this one. I feel, as you, Von, and from my meager experience with these things, I feel the people here are for the most part a great group! Any time you have this many people together you have tons of experiences, knowledge and of course opinions. And we all have one area that may raise a 'hackle' or two! :) Everyone has something they feel strongly about....and I hope they can get that across to the group without bad mouthing or attacking the poster. I'm always open to more knowledge and I've learned tons of stuff here! If there is something I don't agree with either I won't post or I will post my opinion and be done with it. I'm not looking for a fight. :) There are people here who have had or bred this breed for more years than me and I welcome their experience! They've been doing it for a long time and I give them credit for that. I for one, like to hear it all, even if I don't agree. Sometimes I enjoy reading the banter that goes back and forth because I'm hearing both sides. Of course, when it gets too hot, I feel we might need a referee! ;) But on a 'ground level', we ALL love the breed and want what's best. If you don't, then I would wonder why you are here? right? And asking a question to get others riled....yea, that's just not right. IMHO it's just someone looking for trouble, not seriously looking for answers. I wouldn't even post to that. We're not here to compare each others dogs. At least I'm not. I think the Mods are doing a great job, and a hard one! I would think it would be hard to remain in the middle when you also have some strong opinions! LOL Keep up the good work!

3. Faber

Faber Jr Member

I know the question is to open a forum for positively motivated suggestons....but I just have to say that I LOVE IT HERE!.....You guys do great work....THANK YOU!
    :bighug:

4. FredC

FredC Guest

Thanks guys, It really is alot of work, we get accused daily of being a safe haven for BYB's or whatever the established athourity decides we are. Personally i dont care what others think of me or my ethics. I know who i am and what im about. I am a human being just like everybody else here. Some people are here for the right reasons and unfortunatly others are just here to ruffle your feathers. its up to each and every one of us as to how we handle this kind of juvinile behaviour. but my suggestion is to simply take what you can use and leave the rest. it really is that simple. ignore the people making trouble just for the sake of it and we will come out of the drama and BS with our heads held high. we can be the best doberman forum on the net but in order to do this we cant keep falling into the same traps set over and over again. There are quite a few people that would love to see DC fail and at the end of the day that will boil down to how we react to posts meant to get under your skin.

5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Good advise, Von. There are plenty of mature, knowledgeable people here. With them and your help, I don't think it will fail! :)

6. CloverMom

CloverMom Active Member

I am a member of 3 Doberman forums and I am on this one the most... almost daily. This one has much information and that is what I personally am here for. I think you guys are doing a great job!

7. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Yes Von, I think you are doing an awesome job. I believe every GOOD forum has it's ups and downs. As long as we all stay mature nd keep it civil we willsucceed. Discussions are welcome ;)

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK DCF!!

8. FredC

FredC Guest

Thanks again guys, but really im not looking for praise. Id really like to hear from everyone on how to keep things civil. esp those that feel thay are being treated unfairly.

9. CloverMom

CloverMom Active Member

Ok, here's my suggestion.... I have not been wronged here personally at all so I have a neutral comment.

If people are posting things that are against the rules, then of course their posts should be edited or removed. I'm not sure if you already do this or not but maybe before the post is edited or removed by admin, maybe you can go to the poster, tell them that they have violated a rule and give them the chance to edit the post themselves. If they don't then go ahead and let the admin edit or delete it followed by a pm to the poster explaining why the post was edited or deleted. From what I have read, the people's posts are getting edited or deleted are getting mad because they don't know or understand why they have gotten edited or deleted. And some people aren't understanding the difference between a post that is breaking the rules and one that is just offensive to some. Just because it offends you doesn't mean that it's a post or thread that shouldn't be on here. Also, you can debate "hairy" issues without personally attacking anyone....really, it's possible : ) I haven't seen too much of this on this forum but I do see your concern with it eventually getting out of hand. Hope this helps.

10. burlysoldier

burlysoldier Member

In the moderators defense I have had two posts edited and in both counts the moderators made me aware (via IM) and explained to me in a polite manner exactly what and why it was being removed. I broke the rules, they were right, we handled it like grown ups and I immediately moved on. In their defense, they were both fair and professional.

11. CloverMom

CloverMom Active Member

Ah, that's nice. I thought it was a pretty good suggestion... guess they already thought of that lol. Hey, I tried :)

12. Dobiegirl

Dobiegirl Novitiate

I do have to agree with CloverMom as I had a post closed and all I was doing was asking a questions....
    Every person is entitled to their opionion, dosen't mean you have to agree but NO ONE has the right to bash that person just because they don't feel the same..it's their opionion.....
    I think all in all this a great place....I came from another site that didn't think twice about publicly attacking you.....
    Von you have a great place here...

13. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

I'm not going to say a lot here - just answer the quote of DC being a "safe haven" for those that like to BYB...

What a negative way of looking at people being forgiving of mistakes and trying to lead them to make the right decisions in the future by using compassion and understanding through guidance.

I suppose if we used other forums as examples, there would be no need of DC in the first place. If we wanted DC to be like "another board" then why in heaven would we be here? For the donuts? Should we just kick everyone to the curb that doesn't come to this board in pristine conditions? No faults permitted here..

No one need to apply that doesn't do the following?
    Dogs from the "perfect breeders" - Breed only the perfect litters. Breed only according to the rules of those that feel it is their way or no way.

I came here because I thought this place was different. That a few "strong arming" breeders/posters would not rule. I was looking for a more forgiving venue than what I have found in other forums. If that is not the case, then I'm really in the wrong place, I am sorry to say.

14. deladobies

deladobies Member

I agree that not all people know that they have made a mistake... But that's what we are here for...

We can all NICELY explain what we think that they can do better to improve the breed...

That said I too agree that posters (unless ovious) should be notified of a post that needs to be edited... I know that mods dont have to give a reason but we are so close here that I think if you have time to edit or delete you prob have time to explain why...

If one of my post were edited/deleted/locked I would like to know why.. I consider you all friends and think that if we handled editing a little different it would be much easier to except...

I do NOT however think that it is fair to bash each anyone because of a post that was made... We all know how to use the ignore feature... SO USE IT... If you dont like what someone says pass over it... Dont reply, Dont fuel their fire... Let it steam out and die... The mods will catch them... Let the poster that are here for nothing more then drama and trouble dig their own and sleep in it...

DONT STOOP TO THERE LEVEL....

I consider most of you friends and I know that you have more to offer this forum and this breed in your pinkies then the trouble makers do in their whole body.... We need each other and I dont want to loose anyone because of drama... I was in a very hard place when I got here and you all helped me pull through and come out successful... Lets help others and put a stop to those who wish to bring us down

15. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

Suggestion! Doughnuts... that would be awesome :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

I didn't come here to cause trouble or drama. I came here to learn as well as pass on knowledge I have acquired. I do believe in breeder ethics, which is why I strongly stand by what I believe. I feel that when I do give my opinion I'm classified as a snobby know-it-all, and yes I tend to get fired up over something that is detrimental to the breed I love, admire and cherish. There is no such thing as "perfect", but I see nothing wrong with striving for near perfection for the sake of the future of our breed.

If I were to blatently break the rules, I would expect the mods would edit/delete or punish me, but not for putting my opinion out there.

I'm with hrd2gt....... donuts....yeah!

17. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

As I have stated in a few of my posts, we are ALL adults here and we should act as such. This forum was creatred so we could ALL learn and SHARE our knowledge and expierence with those who know less than we do. We ALL started out fresh somewhere. If you do know everything you do not belong on earth. :D And if you do know, or have knowledge in the post at hand then post, you can state your opinion, even if it does "fire you up" you are an adult and should handle the matter as such. Remeber when you are posting not everyone reads what you post the way it was meant to be read, someone is going to take offense or be upset by it. Remember this is someone else's opinions and opinions are like a**holes we all have one. SOme people have two and sh*t comes outta both. Gawd, I'm horrible in the morning. SOrry all, not enough caffine yet, lmaoooo :D:D

That said, I like this place and everyone in it, unless you are here for the wrong reasons, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG AND PLAY NICE!!!!!! :D

*mods please feel free to edit this post*

18. burlysoldier

burlysoldier Member

Nothing wrong with breeder ethics or standing up for what you believe in Panama and definitely nothing wrong with advancing and improving our breed but its when people seem to have already had an accidental breeding that peoples passions really come out. I agree 110% that only experts in the breed should create more ( I, for one,would NEVER buy from a backyard breeder), sometimes the damage is done when they get here (the internet). It makes no sense IMO to rip these people a new one (though maybe they need it for letting it happen in the 1st place!!). It DOES make sense to disseminate as much good info as possible to assist this person in all the stages of birth- diet, health checks, shots etc etc etc. I'm sure this will help the breed alot more and the puppies to be healthy, and adoptable. Leaving the owner in the dark (by ostracizing them) only punishes the dam, the puppies and the future owners (buyers).

• Like Like x 1
  19. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I couldn't have said this better myself, burly. Nothing is going to change when a new comer is bashed after the fact. It makes this site look bad and causes good people to leave and look elsewhere for advice and information. Striving for perfection is just that a goal. Even with the best laid plans for a litter things can, and oftentimes do, go awry. I'd like to think that most of the people who come here, like Tye said, are intelligent adults and that they will pick up on all the information supplied by this forum and do better the next time. There's a mother load of it here. But what's the point of having this veritable library of knowledge and experience if they go away beat up and don't read it. That's what I see happening and I sincerely hope it can change for the better.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

Both of you are right on target as far as I am concerned...this is what keeps me here..people like the both of you.