Suggestions for two Dobermans

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I was going to pose this question next week but seeing that she is heading this way......

So what are your suggestions, advice, do’s/don’ts with adding and having another Doberman???

These are the things I know-
1. Make sure to give individual attention.
2. Make sure to train individually.

-should I feed separately?
-feed different rooms?
-who gets food first? Does it matter?
-crate aways from each other?
-ABSOLUTELY no rough housing in house??
-Make sure Ragnar is top dog? Treat them differently Or treat them equal on all fronts?
-Who gets to sit in front seat?
-Make both sit in back?
-do I initially keep them separated? How long?

If you have ANY thoughts or suggestions please add.

I think many of your questions will have to do with how they get along. Which you won't know for a while, but will work itself out. You can't make Ragnar be top dog if he doesn't want to be. My trouble was that Reckless was taught at an early age to remain dog neutral under all circumstances and she was 5 years old and very well trained, but she thought playing and especially rough playing with the puppy was going to get her into trouble so Asha took great advantage of her and hammered on her anytime they were off leash together. Reckless thought it was fun for a few minutes, then wanted to quit. So off leash anything had to come to a stop. It took months before they could do much together, and always in the great wide open so Reckless could get away from the terror. They did have some fun zoomies together, but overall the play had to stay short & sweet. This was when Asha was young, so Reckless could be called off but Asha couldn't. I think your girl and Ragnar won't be like this at all. I look at those photos of new puppies sleeping with their elder dogs and feel lots of envy. It won't happen here, ever. My point is be prepared to adjust for what you least expect. I fully expected Asha to be put in her place by Reckless and within a couple of weeks knew it would never happen, and true to Ashas personality she got an inch and took a mile. We feed separately and have no problems. We also feed the cat at the same time and Asha waits until the cat walks off before she checks out his bowl. She's very polite about that. Traveling we have two crates to go places together. We do have a smaller Suzuki when we just want to go up the road a couple of miles to go hike. Both dogs ride together in that car but it's for less than 10 minutes and I have the e-collar on Asha.
The main thing is YOU stay alpha, and control the pack. No dog is allowed to bully the other dog, which is hard if the puppy is the bully, because no obedience has happened yet. Ragnar telling your new pup to back off is fine, but constant bullying or making her uncomfortable is not.
I honestly thing you will have a way easier time than I did - watching Phoebe and Ripley has been a joy for me - and again reminds me that they are all so different.

-should I feed separately? Moo was fed in a small crate in the same room but different area as Rubie
-feed different rooms?
-who gets food first? Does it matter? They got fed at the same time
-crate aways from each other? Their upstairs crates face each other but are across the room from each other (based on the space we have)
-ABSOLUTELY no rough housing in house?? We allow it to a point! We don't have a lot of things that can be toppled or broken but we also don't want holes in walls and dings in floors. It's whatever you're comfortable with. If they get too rambunctious, they go outside to get it out of their systems or we redirect with games or kongs.
-Make sure Ragnar is top dog? Treat them differently Or treat them equal on all fronts? He may NOT be top dog when all is said and done. Don't forget, you're getting a red female! That being said, we allowed Rubie to correct Moo when he did something she did not like but we also didn't give him free reign to: eat from her bowl, take something she had, crawl on her, bite her ears, etc. BUT all the house rules that apply to Ragnar must also be enforced with the new pup.
-Who gets to sit in front seat? Our dogs are always in the back seat
-Make both sit in back?
-do I initially keep them separated? How long? As I've recounted, Rubie came with us so that the breeder could monitor the initial interaction. On the car ride home, Moose was in a crate and Rubie was in the back with him (so separated, yes). When we got home, right to the back yard so she could continue to investigate him but she also choose to ignore him (which for her was great!). When we weren't home, they were both crated (and still are but that's mostly probably because Rubie will always need to be crated. Moo doesn't need to be but he happily runs in and lays down).

They will figure out a dynamic. When I give them treats, sometimes Moose gets it first and sometimes Rubie does but the other always has to wait their turn. They each get individual class time and grooming with me. Rubie chooses to lay with us on the couch where sometimes Moose will but often times he's on the dog bed on the floor. We allow Moose to meet dogs on leash in certain circumstances but never Rubie. Rubie prefers to be left alone by strangers but Moose loves everyone. Sometimes Moose will get to visit at people's houses while Rubie stays home.

They will each need different things to set them up for success so there is no harm in treating them differently while giving them both the same opportunities. I think you're psyching yourself up too much! Remember when you brought home your second kid after getting into the groove with your first? And you just... figured it out and now they're both thriving (forgive me if you have three children but I think you have two!).

Is this a puppy? Puppies I will hand feed to use feeding time for training. Eventually they can eat together but you will need to monitor that to see how they are together.
Ours are all cremated to where they can see each other.
Top dog will be determined by them not you.
We also always crate in vehicles for safety. But I would definitely not do a dog in the front seat.

-feed different rooms?
I feed in the same room, same time, puppy crated to learn crate is awesome. I just say "kennel!" and she runs into it expecting food. I always give her either her meal or some treats. Very handy.

They are crated right next to each other. You could put a blanket over top until you think puppy won't try and fuss to get to their buddy lol.

Only when I give the command to play. Which is usually daily but it helped Ripley learn to look to me for the ok instead of engaging on her own. I could use this to my advantage with training too since I know playing with Paige was super high value.

-Make sure Ragnar is top dog? Treat them differently Or treat them equal on all fronts?
They will determine that. It very well may change when shes an adult. I imagine right now Ragnar will be laying down the rules simply because he is bigger and an established dog in the pack.

-Make both sit in back?
I have Ripley in a soft crate in the back. Haven't traveled with them both yet but Java and Paige were in the back laying down when the car is moving. In the future I'd like to get an impact crate to keep my dogs better protected and us protected from them becoming a projectile in case of an accident. Its an investment for sure as the crates are $$$

-do I initially keep them separated? How long?
Up to you. I let them meet after we had some time bonding. I gave them both their own time out. It helped Ripley learn its not all about her and to settle in the crate and it gave Paige individual attention when out and a break from the puppy when in her crate or bed.

-should I feed separately? - I do; both in their own crates
-feed different rooms? - I don't
-who gets food first? Does it matter? - I give the food to Albert first since he's settled and behaving to let Phoebe know that's what she needs to do too.
-crate aways from each other? - Our crates are side by side
-ABSOLUTELY no rough housing in house?? - Like Rits said, they can rough house inside but have to be told it's okay.
-Make sure Ragnar is top dog? Treat them differently Or treat them equal on all fronts? Ragnar will be the top dog at first but little girls usually change that as they mature. :D
-Who gets to sit in front seat? I keep puppies in the front seat so I can keep better control of them but after they're both adults they both ride in the back.
-do I initially keep them separated? How long? That can vary depending on how well Ragnar is accepting her. Phoebe was fearless from day one so I just kept then separated with a gate to see how they'd get along initially. They did fine supervised but I think it was about a week before they really warmed up to each other and started playing like normal Dobermans do.

Albert was terrified of Della at first so I kept them separated by a gate for a day or two while they got to know each other.

-should I feed separately? Yes (however you can work up to feeding at the same time. However I prefer to feed separately as I clean up their poop right after)

-feed different rooms? no

-who gets food first? Does it matter? I rotate

-crate aways from each other? no. Next to each other

-ABSOLUTELY no rough housing in house?? Yes. That’s for outside.

-Make sure Ragnar is top dog? Treat them differently Or treat them equal on all fronts? Equal. You are the pack leader. If you create a power difference fights may ensue. However Rex is my favorite and I baby and give special treatment to him. Never in front of Trixie though.

-Who gets to sit in front seat? Neither. Backseat or crate

-Make both sit in back? Yes

-do I initially keep them separated? Yes. Crate and rotate for several weeks How long?

For what it’s worth I feed them in the same room, at the same time.
Bowls are a good 10 foot apart, in their own space. Both have to hold a sit while food and supplements are mixed.
Bowls are placed and they are given a release to eat.

Now, it took some time to get to that point, lol.
Millie being fairly puppy is a spring at the thought of food time so it took some time correcting her and getting her to understand the more she bounces around, the longer till she gets her food.
Goes without saying I guess she is Very! food motivated.

Ragnar is in for an adjusting for sure.
Some things he might give in to surprisingly, and others? He might remind her which one is bigger, stronger, and the boss.
Like many have mentioned, that metric may move as time goes by, lol.
Red girls are pretty forward.:D

Thanks for all the information y’all, exactly what I was looking for, some reassurance that my thoughts and plans were in the general direction.

Ragnar is not an aggressive mean guy, he loves to play and romp that’s for sure BUT he loves his time with me. It will be interesting to see if and how he handles his jealousy of my attention. I am hoping the newness and curiosity will overshadow any of that jealousy.

I suspect I will have to monitor him and keep him from Doberstomping her and sending her in the air with his nose butting. This female is very outgoing so maybe her energy can withstand his asshat bull antics and they will find a happy medium.

Yes, this is going to be interesting....that’s for sure.

I am going to try real hard to remember and I will video the first meeting.

Hi, last week we got a Polo for Marco. She is 10 months of ALL UNTRAINED PUPPY and he is 9 years of sweet, mature, well-trained and chill (finally) Dapper Dobe. Within the past week, here's what I can share for your questions:

-feed different rooms?
-who gets food first? Does it matter?

Marco was trained to sit and wait for his food. Polo caught on to this in 2 days. They eat at the same time in bowls 2' apart, she's on the left, he's on the right, they sit politely for their food. First 2 days was a nightmare, she caught on QUICK after we showed her the ropes.

Polo is in the crate at night, he's close in a bean bag bed. No issue.

Generally yes, but there are times we let them, and so far, only for like 10 minutes or it's just NUTS. Boxing is for OUTSIDE!!

Marco is top dog, but she sure is trying. You'll know what to do with them, don't overthink it. There are times he just lets her chew on him, and times he barks at her like Mad Dober, and she leaves him alone. He has a blanket that she's not allowed to have, but if he wants to play tug with her with it, we let them. She's a brat, steals his toys, body checks him right and left, but they both love it. Marco is super funny, too, if she barks or whines in her crate, HE barks at us to get her!

-Make both sit in back?

They like to be in the back, neither one comes up front.

-do I initially keep them separated? How long

Good luck with that! Nope, not in this house. We did pick her up by herself, and we have times where it's one dog with one person, but they really like being together. We like it too, so long as there is NO BOXING INSIDE!

Honestly, I can't believe we have 2 dobers, but now that we have 2... it's great. Kinda wish we'd gotten Marco a buddy sooner, and I have to say while Marco is the Best Dog Ever, Polo will be, too.

^ I saw that too. Pretty sure thats meant to say they are all in crates where they can see each other. I hope so anyways.

Hi, last week we got a Polo for Marco. She is 10 months of ALL UNTRAINED PUPPY and he is 9 years of sweet, mature, well-trained and chill (finally) Dapper Dobe.
Nice to see you again and congrats on your new addition!!!

I didn't read all the comments, so im sorry if I'm repetitive!! We got a puppy about 6 weeks ago, so these are what we did/are doing!

-should I feed separately? We do. Gemma gets fed in her crate, Mischa gets fed in the kitchen. At least in the beginning, Gemma is learning her bowl/area from Mischas, as she already tries to steal Mischas food if M doesn't finish it

-feed different rooms? See answer to #1 lol
-who gets food first? Does it matter? We were feeding M first, since she is older and has seniority. That lasted maybe a week lol, Gemma gets fed first, only because for now her feeding schedule is slightly different, and Mischa is set in her meal times.

-crate aways from each other? I cant fully answer this, as Mischa isn't crated anymore. If she were though, I think I would have the crates close by, but not side by side, space permitting.

-ABSOLUTELY no rough housing in house?? We allow some but they both learned quickly when we say enough, we mean enough. We don't let it escalate very much, but do let them get a bit rowdy. Especially with the weather right now (mud, rain and cold) none of us want to be outside supervising :rofl:
-Make sure Ragnar is top dog? Treat them differently Or treat them equal on all fronts? We treat equally. Top dog will depends on their personality- Mischa is much more submissive, and I'm pretty certain Gemma will be our "top dog" based on personalities.
-Who gets to sit in front seat? Like Jan said, I keep puppies in the front so I can control/supervise better. Unless one of my kids are with and can sit in the back with both (its safer for dogs to be in the back seat).
-Make both sit in back? Once the puppy is an adult, i will be putting both in the back. Or rotate like I do my kids :rofl: on the way to where we're going, one sits up front, and switch for the ride home lol
-do I initially keep them separated? How long? Youre supposed to, but honestly we didn't. We introduced outside, let them sniff each other out and get acquainted for an hour or so, then came inside. NEVER left them unsupervised together though! I believe its reccomended to separate them by a gate for a few weeks- so they can see and get to know each other through the gate without actually being able to get to each other.

Best of luck to you!! How super exciting to be adding a new pup! It was rowdy and stressful the first week or so getting into the groove of things, but they've settled down and the girls have gotten close pretty quickly here!

20201012_191555.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t express how overjoyed I am with this. He is not that much of a cuddly personality. If the cats tried this, he would get up and walk away.

upload_2020-10-13_9-49-43.jpeg

upload_2020-10-13_9-50-0.jpeg

Back